DICE Admits Balancing Issues with Battlefront's Walker Assault Mode

DICE Admits Balancing Issues with Battlefront's Walker Assault Mode

DICE is aware of balance issues found in the Walker Assault game mode in Star Wars Battlefront's open beta, and are working to fix it, a number of staffers have confirmed.

One comment point of feedback regarding the beta was that players on the Rebel Alliance side of the Walker Assault on Hoth game mode seemed to be at a disadvantage.

"I have never won a match as a rebel. Does this mean I suck?" one player asked EA community manager Matthew Everett on Twitter, to which he responded, "Nope! Its a balancing issue within the Beta."

"Asymmetric modes are tricky and risky but potentially awesome, that's why we want beta test help," the game's lead multiplayer designer Dennis Brännvall said in response to another tweet. "It's too tough [for the Rebel Alliance]. We'll make changes based on the feedback and data."

Star Wars Battlefront's beta opened on Friday morning, and ran until yesterday. Over the course of those six days, more than nine million people took part, making it the biggest beta in EA's history.

The game itself comes out on November 17 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

Posted by ModifiedSoul
On Thursday 15 Oct 2015 11:07 AM
balancing issues aside, it felt real, if felt like a ridiculously futile struggle, laying into those AT-ATs with everything you had only to have them carrying on to demolish your base while you ran for your life because Darth Vader and a hand full of Maoris turned up really made the game feel like you were in the movie

Posted by captain X nz
On Thursday 15 Oct 2015 11:54 AM
I played 1 round as the Rebels couple of weeks back in Sydney and we won.

It was hard, but satisfying. As usual in a Dice game people are probably worrying too much about K/D and not Objectives.

Posted by ALK3MiST
On Thursday 15 Oct 2015 12:00 PM
I loved the challenge being the rebels, it made the win that much more satisfying.

Was it just me or did some of the storm troopers sound like females? Just thought that they were all Jake Heke clones is all lol.

Loved the beta and can't wait for the full game

gh567
Posted by gh567
On Thursday 15 Oct 2015 12:51 PM
I managed to win a half dozen times or so as the rebels. As long as your team was focused on the objectives rather than just killing, it was quite possible.

I'm pretty sure I heard a few female storm troopers too. But don't forget by this time the empire had resorted to recruiting and conscription so there wasn't as many clones left....

On Thursday 15 Oct 2015 1:01 PM
haha unbalanced, more like landslide

Posted by twisterjamz
On Thursday 15 Oct 2015 1:27 PM
It definitely was hard being a rebel but I just had a load of fun testing out all of the different vehicles

Posted by KiwiSharp
On Thursday 15 Oct 2015 11:23 PM
It was hard but possible. Just nobody really worked as a team. If you saved an orbitable strike and used it on an AT AT it took heaps of life off of it. Won a couple of a matches as the Rebels.

Posted by ninja
On Friday 16 Oct 2015 8:21 AM
Overall it was a lot of fun - felt real and was a struggle but very rewarding

On Friday 16 Oct 2015 3:44 PM
a given its only beta and the game should be much better, ea is nowhere near as bad as ubisoft yet, imo*

Posted by MadCant
On Friday 16 Oct 2015 4:29 PM
In the games I played as rebels, I'd guess we won about 25%. Rebellion... 100%. Did it matter..? I think if everybody played objectively (from both sides), it would have been a hard fought struggle for all & who knows how the result would have played out - it's clear DICE extensively tested this inhouse, so they should have a fair idea. Unfortunately as a rebel I was often the only person arming & guarding the objective (calling in the Y-Wings) & a lot of players didn't play defensively using the land's natural vantage points, installations & perks as intended... allowing better players to sit back & rack up ridiculous K/D's. So I think it's impossible to say how balanced it was without getting a few clan wars going. One thing's for sure; despite the relatively low player count, it felt far more epic than any of the recent battlefield maps/games have. If I had to complain, I didn't like the 2-person squads & you need to be able to team up properly also, which I assume will be a feature in the main game...

Posted by Rapidity
On Monday 19 Oct 2015 9:19 AM
K/D ratios should be removed from objective based maps.