Destiny: The Taken King Replaces Peter Dinklage with Nolan North

Destiny: The Taken King Replaces Peter Dinklage with Nolan North

Bungie are giving Destiny a major overhaul with the upcoming expansion, The Taken King, which includes abandoning the Light levelling system and replacing all of Peter Dinklage's dialogue with new recordings from Nolan North.

The cover story of this month's issue of Game Informer (via Kotaku and GameSpot) is all about what will change or be added as what's being called Destiny: Year Two, such as:

• The new level cap is 40, and you can get all the way there through experience earned by killing enemies and completing quests. There's no more Light system, which previously tied character level to gear.
  • The Ghost, formerly played by Peter Dinklage, has been recast with Nolan North (Nathan Drake in the Uncharted series, among many other roles). Further, Bungie have re-recorded all of The Ghost's lines from the original game and first two expansions, erasing Dinklage from the game entirely.
  • The "first act" of the expansion will consist of eight new story missions, while other quests will be available from various NPCs around the Reef and Tower. Old story missions are also being reorganised, to better incorporate elements added in the previous expansions.
  • There'll be new Crucible questlines and bounty types, the Trials of Osiris will get its own set of bounties, and there'll be eight new PVP maps and three new game modes.
  • There'll be one new raid, King's Fall, and four new strikes, Fallen Saber, Shield Brothers, Sunless Cell, and the PlayStation-exclusive Echo Chamber. Three old strikes (Dust Palace, Undying Mind, and Cerberus Vae) are also getting remixed.
  • The new and strikes will have "raid lite" mechanics, instead of just pitting players against hordes of foes, and both the new and revised strikes will have a randomised element to enemies and narration.
  • Year One legendary weapons will go obsolete quickly, and will even be outclassed by higher-level white and green weapons.
  • A lot of different reputation items and materials are being streamlined, and the Gunsmith in the Tower will have his own bounties and reputation metre, that eventually leads to weekly, randomised legendary weapons being available for purchase.

Full details can be found in the September issue, which will be available this month.

Posted by ReaperCrew
On Wednesday 5 Aug 2015 9:57 AM
This actually makes it sound promising.

Posted by LukeB
On Wednesday 5 Aug 2015 9:58 AM
Wow... reading the changes actually has me interested in jumping back in..... now they just need to up the storytelling and I might be sold on playing it again.

Posted by czk51
On Wednesday 5 Aug 2015 10:00 AM
I knew I'd played too much destiny when Dinklebot no longer sounded like Tyrian - it sounded like my ghost, nothing more, nothing less.

Not sure I'll miss him as such, just wasn't an issue for me after a little while. It'll address future content anyways.

so much dope new info emerging, and apparently the best is yet to come in the next day or 2.

Posted by Ron
On Wednesday 5 Aug 2015 10:04 AM
5 August 2015, 09:58 AM Reply to LukeB
The story was terrible.

Posted by toner
On Wednesday 5 Aug 2015 10:11 AM
I know Dinklage's voicing as the Ghost was really monotonous and robotic, but to replace him completely seems weird. Why couldn't they just get him to re-do the dialogue in a different approach, rather than replacing him completely?

Posted by LukeB
On Wednesday 5 Aug 2015 10:17 AM
5 August 2015, 10:04 AM Reply to Ron
The story was terrible.
That it was. That it was.

Seriously though, there is SO! much lore to that game! The universe is huge and interesting.... they just completely failed at successfully telling a good story within the game's campaign and expansions - which is why I hope they do a better job with telling a good tale within The Taken King.... or any other future expansions. If I find they do from reviews I might actually get back in the game :)

Posted by toner
On Wednesday 5 Aug 2015 10:30 AM
5 August 2015, 10:17 AM Reply to LukeB
That it was. That it was.

They just need to make a TL:DR version before the start of The Taken King.

"Previously, on Destiny..."

Posted by ReaperCrew
On Wednesday 5 Aug 2015 10:45 AM
5 August 2015, 10:11 AM Reply to toner
There is any number of reasons to choose someone else to do the voice acting, including Dinklage not being available, not interested, if he has become too expensive, or Bungie what to modify the feel and interaction of thee Ghost. On a positive note it is great to hear Bungie aren't being lazy and just recording the new content with Nolan's voice, which would have been really weird.

Higher level white and green weapons, I thought we started with white and then green was next. Are they saying, that we shouldn't be disassembling them because they will become the best weapons ever, or are they continuing with the "we've already got it so lets reuse it 100 times", or have they run out of colour ideas. Not being serious, but Bungie are asking to be made fun of.

On Wednesday 5 Aug 2015 11:07 AM
5 August 2015, 10:04 AM Reply to Ron
The story was terrible.
There was a story? lol

Posted by birdman
On Wednesday 5 Aug 2015 2:58 PM
5 August 2015, 10:45 AM Reply to ReaperCrew

Aren't they referring to the fact that any legendary purple weapon we've collected and grinded for over the last year or so will now be rendered obsolete as the sh*tty white and green entry level weapons from TTK will already outperform them?

Posted by guido
On Thursday 6 Aug 2015 9:23 AM
It all sounds fairly promising and I would love to jump back into Destiny but with the collection of all the "expansions" costing around the same (or possibly more) than the likes of The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 there's just no way I can justify paying that much for what amounts to a collection of DLC??

I'd rather put $35.95 into The Witcher 3 expansion pass which I'm betting will have more story, better writing, more interesting characters and more new territory to explore at a fraction of the price. In some ways that's an apples to oranges comparison but it's also a bang for your buck equation that Destiny's "expansions" come out on the losing side of.

JaeViBE
Posted by JaeViBE
On Friday 7 Aug 2015 5:03 PM
6 August 2015, 09:23 AM Reply to guido

That's right but will you be playing the wither in 8months time? Im betting I'll still be playing destiny.

MattTheHuman
Posted by MattTheHuman
On Saturday 15 Aug 2015 1:04 AM
I think Nolan North is gonna do a great job as the Ghost since all his other voice acting has been great.