Destiny's House of Wolves DLC Will Keep Older Gear Viable

Destiny's House of Wolves DLC Will Keep Older Gear Viable

The next expansion for Destiny, House of Wolves, will allow players to keep older gear viable by upgrading it with a new resource called Etheric Light.

Bungie explained the new system in a livestream presentation today (as reported by Polygon). Using one Etheric Light, a resource dropped in the new Prison of Elders endgame content and PvP Trials of Osiris, any piece of Legendary equipment can be upgraded to its highest level. For weapons, this means max damage can reach the new 365 cap, and upgraded armour will be sufficient to reach the new Light Level cap, 34. Etheric Light will also drop during Nightfall runs and the Iron Banner event on occasion, making it possible for those who don't have House of Wolves to reach the new cap.

Exotic gear can also be upgraded using an Exotic Shard (among other resources), and players will no longer need to use the services of the weekend vendor Xur to do so. The Speaker NPC at the Tower will also offer Shards in exchange for Motes of Light, and let players swap Ascendant Shards and Radiant Shards for their respective energies, and vice versa.

Finally, the new Legendary weapons added with House of Wolves will be able to be reforged at the Tower's Gunsmith, randomly changing the perks attached.

These new systems follow widespread criticism of gear upgrades with the first expansion, The Dark Below. Due to the increased level cap and new gear introduced at the time, equipment earned from the Vault of Glass raid - which had been the game's most difficult content - was rendered obsolete. As a result, many players felt like the time they'd spent on the Vault of Glass had been wasted.

Posted by czk51
On Thursday 23 Apr 2015 12:54 PM
me a month ago = destiny has become stale, and i don't even know if HoW can bring me back :(

today = MY BODY IS READY.

Posted by predatorhunter
On Thursday 23 Apr 2015 1:24 PM
to be honest im over destiny to get me back they would need to add another planet and race with like 10 more story missions and a raid and strike.

Posted by ReaperCrew
On Thursday 23 Apr 2015 1:34 PM
23 April 2015, 01:24 PM Reply to predatorhunter
So you are waiting for Comet then....

On a separate note, I'm wondering how the "Etheric Light" will work. I'm hoping it adds +2 to any item, meaning Guardians will need Crota Raid or Iron Banner gear to reach level 34, which will keep these activities relevant.

Posted by argsy
On Thursday 23 Apr 2015 2:31 PM
23 April 2015, 01:34 PM Reply to ReaperCrew
So you are waiting for Comet then....

The way I had interpreted the upgrade was that any gear would become level 34 through the upgrade path - eg VoG gear could be upgraded from L30 up to L34. This would bring this gear back as relevant to end game, although perks associated might not be appropriate to use in some situations. Will also give more diversity in the gear Guardians are wearing in game. Could be doing a nightfall with 3 L34's wearing a mix of VOG, Crota, Iron Banner or Faction gear.

On Thursday 23 Apr 2015 4:36 PM
^ This!

Glad they made the decision. Makes all items more relevant, nice that we can now pick and choose our armour mix.
365 Fatebringer will be boss even more than it already is.

Also glad to see (finally) and material exchance. No more exclusion zone runs, less grinding can only be a good thing for me as thats what stopped me playing the last month or more.

Posted by Mattress
On Thursday 23 Apr 2015 7:08 PM
Now I just need them to add in the ability to exchange crucible or vanguard marks for armour materials (e.g. plasteel plating, hadronic essence, and sapphire wire) so that I don't have to grind for green and blue armour engrams.

On Thursday 23 Apr 2015 7:34 PM
23 April 2015, 07:08 PM Reply to Mattress
Yeah true that, thats the main issue with my 2nd and 3rd characters. Wish i could just exchange my warlock hardronic stuff for titan and hunter plating & wire.

Posted by Mattress
On Thursday 23 Apr 2015 8:40 PM
23 April 2015, 07:34 PM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
It is sound very promising though. I really do think Bungie are headed in the right direction with this game and the franchise, Dunno how they could salvage the story, but I'm sure it could be done with some very good writers.

On Friday 24 Apr 2015 12:58 PM
23 April 2015, 08:40 PM Reply to Mattress
Yeah story was pathetic. Moreso because it explained nothing, the lore is in the grimoire, which isnt even in-game. If they made the card collecting a thing viewable in-game it might have been more useful. And what was there like only 5 short cutscenes in the game? They could have done a far better job there too to sell the story and let it be more immersive.
House of Wolves certainly isnt going to save the story, thats done. Hopefully some better planning and some good writers can get to work on Destiny 2.