Mortal Kombat X Gets "Easy Fatalities" Microtransactions

Mortal Kombat X Gets

Mortal Kombat X comes out tomorrow in New Zealand, and today elsewhere, and with its launch comes a range of day-one downloadable content - including tokens to perform "Easy Fatalities" and the instant unlocking of all Krypt items.

As well as the previously-revealed Kombat Pack season pass and a skin for Sub-Zero called Blue Steel, the game's day-one DLC includes a five-pack of Easy Fatalities for $1.40 on Xbox One / $1.65 on PS4, a 30-pack for $7.45 on Xbox One / $7.95 on PS4, and "Unlock all Krypt Items" for $24.95 on Xbox One or $31.95 on PS4.

Easy Fatalities are a consumable item that allows a player to perform a finishing move with a two-button combo, instead of the more complex standard inputs. Each player starts the game with three of them, and more can be earned by spending Koins in the game, though whether or not you get Easy Fatalities or something else entirely is randomised, making DLC the only sure-fire way to obtain more.

It's worth noting that Easy Fatalities have no direct effect on gameplay, because like standard Fatalities, they can only be used on an opponent who's already been defeated. Likewise, the items obtained through the Krypt, either through gameplay or by purchasing the Unlock all Krypt Items add-on, are all cosmetic.

Meanwhile, digital comics service Comixology is celebrating Mortal Kombat X's launch by making the first issue of the prequel comic completely free.

Posted by predatorhunter
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 10:10 AM
not too bad an idea as it doesnt really effect the game. it also helps people who may be slightly too slow to succesfully perform the combinations.

Posted by darklordfoamy
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 10:10 AM
.... Seriously? They aren't that hard to perform and even give some leeway bar a couple of the close range ones so I really don't see the point of these at all.

On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 10:27 AM
Stupidest thing Ive seen in awhile. Whats worse is u dont buy a perma unlock of easy fatalities, but you only get finite tokens? Im baffled by it all.
The old DLC/microtransactions debate in gaming is still sliding down the negative road Im afraid.

Munkah
Posted by Munkah
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 10:46 AM
You can unlock them in the Krypt too.

Posted by Coddfish
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 10:46 AM
Meh, I have no problems with this. You could argue that what you get for your money isn't worthwhile, but value propositions are subjective. If someone sees buying tokens as a lesser investment than putting in time to learn fatalities, more power to them.

In terms of negatively affecting the game, though, I think these microtransactions are about as benign as they can get. It's offering easier access to something that's (a) purely cosmetic, and (b) are in the game anyway in their standard form. People will inevitably get upset about microtransactions "making the game easier" or whatever (and judging from comments I've read elsewhere, people are maaaaaaaad), but this is really just giving people more choices in how they interact with the game in a way that has absolutely no impact on the people who choose not to partake.

Posted by Coddfish
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 10:53 AM
15 April 2015, 10:46 AM Reply to Munkah
You can unlock them in the Krypt too.
Can you just get them outright, though? I was under the impression they're part of a randomised reward system when you spend Koins in the Krypt.

Posted by cortez72
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 11:07 AM
Next micro transaction will do the combo's for you.

Then play the game for you. While you're away. To unlock trophies. So you feel you have achieved something.

Posted by sakuraba
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 11:48 AM
Jeez these companies will do anything to fleece us for cash for dlc that should free.

Posted by predatorhunter
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 12:25 PM
you dont have to buy them if you dont want to. its mot like you have to get to use a characters fatality. i understand people dont like microtransactions but at least these ones dont effect the game if you decode not to buy them.

Posted by predatorhunter
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 12:26 PM
15 April 2015, 12:25 PM Reply to predatorhunter
*decide damm phone

On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 12:29 PM
15 April 2015, 10:46 AM Reply to Coddfish

I do agree with you in a sense but there in my mind its a sign of things to come.

With the last MK I bought the season pass on day 1, to find out that it was 1 of 2 season passes. It was the first time I had encountered season pass not meaning you get all the DLC for for the game, but DLC for a "season" and there would be more seasons to come.;

Now there is artificial micro transactions, which can be avoided by grinding the RNG. What will MKX1 have next?

Though people are definitely over reacting it does seem like by making the alternative RNG, if they bump down the chances of getting it, they increase the chances of sales from people, and could this manifest further?

Posted by Coddfish
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 12:45 PM
15 April 2015, 12:29 PM Reply to drunk_monk

Yeah, there's a really murky area of microtransactions when it comes to RNG, and balancing in a way that "encourages" spending money without making players like they're being blatantly ripped off is a complicated thing that's really being taken through its paces in the mobile arena.

I don't think this is that kind of situation though, because sure, you can get easy fatality tokens through RNG, but you can still use the standard, default fatalities without grinding or spending money. I honestly can't really see the point of RNG tokens beyond a nice little bonus, and I seriously doubt anyone's going to farm them. Players will either learn to do the standard fatality inputs (i.e., spend time, with no RNG element), or buy the tokens (i.e. spend money, with no RNG elements). If you had to buy or earn tokens to use fatalities AT ALL, this would be a different issue, but that's not the case. This is essentially cosmetic DLC, albeit an unusual take on that.

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 12:48 PM
I'm not very good at MK and never have been but I'd not buy these easy fatalities as I like to just get to try and pull the fatality off myself. There's several characters that have really easy ones to do. There's also a fatality training so don't feel the need to buy them.

However microtrans are here to stay, these one's don't effect the fights other than getting to see the epic cut scene we all love to see. I understand a lot of people think they suck but here's a tip for you all....don't buy them then your problem with them is over.

For those in the it's cheat / pay to win again don't do it and it's not your problem if people wanna do that that's fine and their choice to do so but there really is not any reason for people to be mad about what's included with this game as it's all cosmetic.

On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 12:56 PM
15 April 2015, 12:45 PM Reply to Coddfish

Oh yea definitely. It is a cosmetic thing, my concern is what will come in the next one. Whether in the next few years it will tip towards the non cosmetic micro transactions.

Its just skepticism of when will this pattern start to move to full priced games requiring grind or pay to win options.

Still anyone voicing an opinion isn't assisted by a) so many over reactions and b) the even bigger over reactions about planned Witcher 3 expansions. Eventually the consumers voices will become complete white noise because companies wont know what to take seriously.

Posted by Newsboy
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 1:59 PM
15 April 2015, 12:56 PM Reply to drunk_monk

I remember feeling the same way when micro-transactions started in the mobile space. I was so sure they'd come to standard gaming and it'd ruin things completely. I hate to say this but, I was wrong. I hate being wrong, but there you have it. There was a fear at the time that all games would F2P, and paying large sums over long periods of time would become the norm. I was completely and utterly wrong. 5 years have passed since I had those concerns and there's nothing that has eventuated that makes me feel that micro-transactions will ruin standard gaming.

Will there be some sh*tty micro-transactions? For sure. Is it buying easier fatalities? Not at all (unless they have purposefully made standard fatalities much harder to pull off.

In the end, micro-transactions mean that an industry that constantly sees layoffs may get that little bit of extra revenue from people who want something easier, or want a reward now. I'm ok with that because I know I don't HAVE to spend extra money on anything to get a good experience. Is it possible that that day will come? Sure, but I think it'll be few and far between, and I think it'll receive terrible press, and get shut down fairly quickly. It won't become standard.

Posted by kiwiatlarge
On Friday 17 Apr 2015 1:10 PM
I dread the day a microtransaction come along to power up the sigils in Final Fantasy X, rendering all those mini-games pointless..

Posted by Chavra
On Sunday 19 Apr 2015 5:59 PM
the only problem i see with this is that the fatalities these perform aren't the same (could be wrong here, i just had a short look) as the standard fatalities.