No New Raid Content in Destiny's House of Wolves Expansion

No New Raid Content in Destiny's House of Wolves Expansion

Following this morning's announcement that Destiny's second expansion, House of Wolves, will launch on May 19, developer Bungie has confirmed that it will not have any new raid content.

"House of Wolves will not have a Raid activity," Bungie's Eric "Urk" Osborne revealed in an update on the developer's website. "We didn't make this decision lightly. Our team has been humbled by the reception of Raids in Destiny and we are creating a new Raid for a release later this year. House of Wolves will have a new cooperative end game activity focused on variety, replayability, and skill – a new battle Arena called The Prison of Elders."

Osborne also outlined some of the events leading up to House of Wolves' release:

• Wednesday, April 22nd: Walking tour of the The Reef, with a live discussion about the upgrade paths for your gear.
  • Wednesday, April 29th: Reveal and live gameplay of Trials of Osiris and its collection of end game gear.
  • Wednesday, May 6th: Reveal and live gameplay of Prison of Elders, a brand new three-player cooperative multiplayer arena.

There'll be another event on Friday, May 8th, though Osborne didn't offer any details about it.

Finally, Bungie announced on Twitter that the next update for Destiny, version 1.1.2, will be deployed tomorrow morning. The update will allow Guardians to display their helmet while in the Tower, increases the size of vaults, and adds a gear lock feature to prevent accidental dismantling.

DragonFury88
Posted by DragonFury88
On Tuesday 14 Apr 2015 2:54 PM
anybody feel short-changed on this?

LeftoversNZ
Posted by LeftoversNZ
On Tuesday 14 Apr 2015 3:14 PM
14 April 2015, 02:54 PM Reply to DragonFury88
anybody feel short-changed on this?
Not really. If it's done right it may just bring a bit of freshness and variety to the game that is much needed rather than an under cooked raid.
It was also announced that they will release a third raid later on down the track. So I interpret that to mean that they have taken our criticisms of the current raids and are working to make something that meets expectations.

LeftoversNZ
Posted by LeftoversNZ
On Tuesday 14 Apr 2015 3:15 PM
*By "it" I mean to refer to the Battle arena.

Posted by ssipyeknod
On Tuesday 14 Apr 2015 4:04 PM
as long as its not all pvp i may give it a look.
havent played in awhile as got sick of grinding the same ol same ol
and the god awful music drives me nuts

Posted by Bunnny
On Tuesday 14 Apr 2015 4:34 PM
Come on 6 player Mad Moxxi Underdome, wait.... Wrong game

DragonFury88
Posted by DragonFury88
On Tuesday 14 Apr 2015 4:43 PM
14 April 2015, 03:14 PM Reply to LeftoversNZ
i guess that sounds better. i hope they do get it right and learn from past mistakes. did they confirm that the raid is covered by the expansion purchase or is it another separate purchase?

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Tuesday 14 Apr 2015 5:18 PM
Plus you've had a raid addon this year if this is a long term game like they stated all along then maybe 1 or 2 raids a year for the next 2 - 4 years ....if the game still is played then. I'd really only expect 1 or 2 raids a year as too often it makes doing them and levelling gear a moot point as you can just skip a raid and get better gear on the next raid.

On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 8:08 AM
This game is still a giant beta test for them really in looking forward. We are just guinea pigs. I dont think Bungie really knew how to make this type of game ie MMO elements. They are just fumbling there way through it. I get a sense they just want to try out something different content wise and see if it works and how its received. I just hope its good because Raids and Nightfalls are all the holds it together for me or I would have left awhile ago.

Posted by Mattress
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 12:34 PM
Let's be completely honest - the game should have launched with a horde-mode! A horde mode at launch would have much needed variety to the gameplay - a middle ground between Crucible and 6 man raids.

That they are adding it now as DLC is not really good enough to my mind. It has been months since Crota DLC so they could have easily incorporated both a raid and horde-mode into this new DLC pack.

But my guess is that the new raid has been shelved for further work and will be released with the rumoured Comet expansion later this year - which means that we will have to pay even more money to get a new raid. I highly doubt they will release a raid for free, just because we aren't getting one in House of Wolves.

I love Destiny - a lot. A simple look at my in-game time demonstrates as much. The gameplay is awesome and raids are some of the most unique and fun experiences I've ever had in multiplayer gaming. But I sense that Bungie have somewhat given up on Destiny 1 and are really working on all the best ideas for inclusion in Destiny 2 - much like how Assassins Creed 1 was o.k. and then Assassins Creed 2 really stepped up to the mark.

The thing I've been most disappointed with Destiny is the lack of immersion in the world. They could've easily done things like release a new story mission every 2-3 weeks to make us feel like the world was alive - I thought this was going to be the case after the Queens Wrath but that was a once off aberration.

Posted by Romulus
On Wednesday 15 Apr 2015 2:34 PM
Expansion looks cool and I've got the season pass so may as well give new expansion a spin.

However I do see DragonFury's point of view, if you didn't get the season pass then $28 for Dark Below was pretty steep for what you got in return.