The Witcher 3 Requires 50 GB of Hard Drive Space on PS4

The Witcher 3 Requires 50 GB of Hard Drive Space on PS4

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will reportedly require 50 GB of hard drive space on PlayStation 4, according to the PlayStation Store's listing for the game in a number of regions, including New Zealand.

This figure is likely rounded up, but this could mean that The Witcher 3 will be the heaviest game on PS4. The biggest games currently available (according to PlayStation Store listings, which don't include patches) are The Last of Us Remastered at 44 GB, Wolfenstein: The New Order at 43.9 GB, and Dragon Age: Inquisition at 41.3 GB.

Neither CD Projekt Red nor Sony have commented on the install size, though the 50 GB figure comes straight from PlayStation Network. On PC, The Witcher 3 requires a minimum of 40 GB hard drive space, and Xbox One requirements haven't been revealed.

CD Projekt Red also recently confirmed with Gamespot that The Witcher 3 will run at 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080) on PlayStation 4, and 900p (1600 x 900) on Xbox One. It will run at 30 frames per second on both consoles.

Posted by sliceopie
On Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 9:01 AM
Is the inference that install size translates to quality? I'm going to get this game day one, as i'm not an RPG gamer but this looks like a nice balance.

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 9:03 AM
Ouch....I hope it's not that big (on any platform) especially considering they announced a lot of free DLC coming for this (16 pieces iirc) which would certainly see this take a huge chunk of available memory by the time it's done.

I am trusting CD Projekt Red in producing a great game so it should be worth it.

Posted by Xenojay
On Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 9:16 AM
Wonder what this means for load times...will be interested too see!

On Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 9:35 AM
That 500GB HD is starting to look small.

Posted by sliceopie
On Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 9:55 AM
3 February 2015, 09:35 AM Reply to drunk_monk
That 500GB HD is starting to look small.
Yep, once we see the system being pushed more by developers the install sizes are bound to just get bigger. Hopefully eventually we will have the ability to connect a portable hd..

On Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 10:54 AM
I gather thats just the digital download size. What about the install size from physical disc?
Should be alot smaller I hope. (Already preordered the disc version)

Posted by sliceopie
On Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 11:18 AM
3 February 2015, 10:54 AM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
Should be alot smaller I hope. (Already preordered the disc version)
Nope, its the install space required from the disc.

Posted by Coddfish
On Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 11:26 AM
3 February 2015, 10:54 AM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
Should be alot smaller I hope. (Already preordered the disc version)
Download and disc installs take up the same amount of HD space on PS4. The disc installs the whole game, after that it's just used for authentication.

On Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 1:35 PM
^Thanks guys. +1
Oh well at least from disc I can uninstall / reinstall when I need to or want too without wasting my datacap.
I dont have a zillion games on the go so my 500GB HDD will last me till at least mid to end of the generation.

Posted by Goonertron
On Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 6:19 PM
Playstation really needs external hard drive support.