The Witcher 3 Delayed Until May 2015

The Witcher 3 Delayed Until May 2015

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has been delayed once again, and has a new release date of May 19, 2015.

In an open letter to fans, CD Projekt Red explained that as development gets closer to finishing, they are finding a lot of things that need to be adjusted or fixed before the game can come out, prompting the 12 week delay.

Ever since we started working on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we knew it would be an ambitious game. We wanted, and still aim, to give you an incredible experience, an epic adventure in a vast, completely open fantasy universe.

The sheer size and complexity of The Witcher, key features of the title, have had a decisive impact on production. Now, nearing the end of our work, we see many details that need to be corrected. When we release the most important game in our studio’s history, we must be absolutely sure that we did everything we could to limit any bugs to a level that will allow you to enjoy the game thoroughly.

With this in mind, we took another look at current workloads and what they mean for the team. Even though everyone is working at full speed, we concluded that we need another 12 weeks, so we are shifting the release date of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to May 19th, 2015.

We owe you an apology. We set the release date too hastily. It’s a hard lesson, one to take to heart for the future. We know what we want to do to make Wild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust.

Thank you for the all support you show us on a daily basis. We truly do appreciate it. It has fueled us in our passion since the start and will continue to do so.

This is the second delay for The Witcher 3, which was originally planned to release in spring 2014. CD Projekt Red delayed the game until February 2015 in March , saying at the time that there would be "no more delays."

However, this comes after a string of high-profile titles that have launched with bugs, network issues, and other problems, including Assassin's Creed UnityDriveclub, and Halo: The Master Chief Collection. In going back on their promise and delaying The Witcher 3 again, CD Projekt Red will be trying to avoid the same problems.

Posted by tom_nz
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 9:31 AM
People are going to be livid over this. I'm just glad there isn't another time consuming game coming out before I finish my studies. Actually really stoked as it will only be a month after I should be all done. Awesome.

Dogga88
Posted by Dogga88
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 10:20 AM
Would rather they delay a games release and make sure its finished, considering what we saw with AC Unity.

Ninja-Crayfish
Posted by Ninja-Crayfish
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 10:31 AM
I dont mind. Certain developer of a certain sci fi shooter should have done this instead of rushing their product out the door

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 10:36 AM
Didn't realise it was the 2nd delay that goes from oh ok we can handle that to wtf where's our game??? Still though I'm happy with that really releasing a complete game is better than one needing constant early patches like we've seen too much lately.

Posted by darklordfoamy
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 10:51 AM
Not to surprised by this as CD Projekt has done this with the other 2 witcher games as well. I'm fine with it as well as if this means the game is all the better for it then fine I can wait and gives me more time to figure out where I'll put the statue.

On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 10:51 AM
Saddest news ever. Was soo looking forward to this! Have a preorder for it for nearly a year now lol
I trust them and respect their decision, they are an excellent Dev and they know how to make quality games.

Posted by mchumdinghy
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 11:30 AM
Sweet more time to play all the games coming out now before having a decent go at this

Posted by guido
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 3:08 PM
"We owe you an apology. "
NO you don't! This is exactly what should have happened to recent games that were rushed out to make the pre holiday marketing cycle and were broken junk on arrival! If they release it late but it is stable and complete on release then this is the sort of thing that needs to be encouraged! And I'll put my money where my mouth is and pre-order it tonight! I wouldn't normally pre-order anything after the recent debacles but this is one dev I trust to do the right thing!

Posted by Bappernz
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 3:29 PM
I'm glad they are fixing the bugs before releasing the game

Posted by dontboszit
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 4:09 PM
i dont mind it being delayed since we probably get a better game out of it with less bugs (like recent releases)
still hyped for this game cant wait for it be out

snooze321
Posted by snooze321
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 4:44 PM
Better than another Unity.

Kal El Bro
Posted by Kal El Bro
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 9:30 PM
This can only be a good thing as we don't want another AAA release to come out and be full of game breaking bugs.

I just wish the publishers of big games would just hold out before giving us a date, I know its all just a big tactic to get pre-order numbers etc but lets get realistic with dates please!

Posted by supabowl
On Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 9:43 PM
Don't see why people would be upset about this. Better to have a completed game then a buggy half finished one. Especially with all the recent screw up there have been.

Posted by Daniel5000
On Saturday 13 Dec 2014 10:12 AM
take your time guys i cant wait for this game

gh567
Posted by gh567
On Tuesday 20 Jan 2015 12:43 PM
Damn I want this game to come out haha.. But seriously, delay's never seem to be a bad thing. Especially for a game of the size of The Witcher 3. CD Projekt Red haven't disappointed yet with the Witcher series and I bet this will be the case again.

gh567
Posted by gh567
On Tuesday 20 Jan 2015 12:43 PM
9 December 2014, 10:20 AM Reply to Dogga88
Lol I still haven't worked myself up to committing to finishing that....