The first expansion for Destiny - The Dark Below - will launch on December 9, Bungie has announced, introducing a range of new content and equipment for those who purchase it.
The Dark Below is priced at US$19.99 / £19.99 (we're waiting on confirmation of a New Zealand price from Activision), and includes the following:
- New weapons, armour and gear to earn, including Legendary and Exotic items
- Light Level cap raised to 32 and five additional Bounty slots added
- New story quests and missions – after years hiding amongst the Hive shadows, a new character, Eris, has come forth bearing an ominous warning: The Hive seek to summon a god, Crota, to destroy the Earth. Find Eris in the Tower to take on special quests that include three new missions where you will increase your Light and earn new rewards
- New co-operative Strike, The Will of Crota, pits you and your Fireteam against Omnigul as she works to expand the Hive army at the command of her master, Crota
- Three new competitive multiplayer arenas
- Pantheon – set deep within the Black Garden in an ancient Vex temple that features Vex-designed landscapes and tight corridors
- Skyshock – an old interplanetary defence array that offers both vehicle and infantry engagements
- The Cauldron – an abandoned Hive ritual site that offers close-quarter combat
- New six-player Raid, Crota’s End, set deep within the depths of the Hellmouth
- PlayStation platforms will also get access to an exclusive co-operative Strike, The Undying Mind, and more (timed exclusive until at least spring 2015)
Although the expansion costs the same across all platforms, PlayStation players will get more out of it, thanks to the exclusive Undying Mind strike. This joins the Dust Palace strike, which has been available for PlayStation players since launch; neither of these (nor any future exclusive content) will be available on Xbox until spring 2015 at the earliest.
The Dark Below is available both as a standalone purchase, or as part of Destiny's $44.95 Expansion Pass, which also includes a second add-on pack due out next year.