Destiny's "Loot Cave" Shut Down

Destiny's

In a hot fix issued for Destiny today, Bungie have shut down the "loot cave" that players had been using to collect high-level gear.

The cave is located in the Cosmodrome, and by shooting into it from the right distance, players could kill an endlessly spawning wave of enemies that had a good chance of dropping engrams - items containing random pieces of equipment.

"The Hive of the holy 'Treasure Cave' have realized the futility of their endless assault on Skywatch and have retired to lick their wounds and plan their next attack," explain the patch notes for the latest Destiny update, with the respawn timers for the cave increased from six seconds to 40 seconds.

"The social experience of a cave farming run is amazing: the herding to get a team of Guardians all behind the line and firing in the right direction, the rush to grab the loot, the scramble when the panic wave starts, the beckoning glow from inside the cave. The speed at which the community organized around this activity was inspiring and humbling to us," wrote Bungie in the latest Destiny Dev Notes post.

"But shooting at a black hole for hours on end isn't our dream for how Destiny is played. Our hope is that social engagement in public spaces is only one part of the Destiny experience. Expect changes soon which decrease the efficiency of cave farming and correspondingly increase engram drops from completing activities."

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 8:01 AM
Nooooo.......

It won't of course stop farming in the many other locations for those that need to. I just need upgrade materials more than weapons and armour.

On Friday 26 Sep 2014 8:15 AM
I only just started doing this yesterday for the first time.
And now they shut it down on me.

Why do you hurt me so Bungie?

Posted by Seance
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 8:19 AM
Damn now I'll have to actually play the game.

Posted by atipuss
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 8:32 AM
oh well. ....I just hope they really realise why so many players are reduced to shooting into the cave in the first place

Posted by Jono91
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 9:41 AM
It was only a matter of time! Gotta admit, I did it a couple of times. Got a fair bit of armor and weaponry, but nothing amazing better than what I already had. I'm sure someone will find a new way to exploit the farming/looting/grinding.

SolomonLaw
Posted by SolomonLaw
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 9:50 AM
Don't have enough spare gaming time to spend it farming anyway

Posted by siamese
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 10:18 AM
I did it a few times, ranked up from level 21 to 24 pretty quickly due to it (as well as strikes and crucible) definitely helped in getting weapon parts and plasteel plating etc.

I have no doubt it would have taken me WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY longer to get from 21 to 24 without farming the cave.

My total playtime in Destiny is 1d 5 hours or something so I reckon level 24 aint bad for that.

On Friday 26 Sep 2014 10:23 AM
Only had 2 sessions at it. Got tonnes of blues and a good few legendary engrams, but they and even the cryparch levelup legendary engrams all amounted to nothing for me. All the legendary gear I got is from normal play. Was boring and having done it this week. Hopefully it just shows them how stupid their RNG loot system is, and glad to see they may tweak it a bit, though still RNG

Posted by siamese
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 10:31 AM
26 September 2014, 10:23 AM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
I think I only got 1 legendary engram out of it and that turned out to be a mote of light or an ascendant shard or something. The best thing was upgrading guns and armour due to killing so many things in such a small amount of time.

On Friday 26 Sep 2014 10:45 AM
26 September 2014, 10:31 AM Reply to siamese
Yeh levelling up was crazy. I was already 27 at the time but all my guns/armour and both subclasses were maxed out from just 2x 45min sessions on the loot cave. But never again. Would rather play the game.

Posted by Romulus
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 12:57 PM
I only just found out about this:(

Posted by czk51
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 1:30 PM
goodnight sweet prince

Posted by czk51
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 1:55 PM
Bungie acknowledged the 'That wizard came from the moon' line and even put it on an official shirt.

I want a cave farming shirt.

Posted by Durty Driscoll
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 3:42 PM
Bugger - didn't even get around to doing this :(

fatbot
Posted by fatbot
On Friday 26 Sep 2014 4:32 PM
Fair call on Bungie's part. Although I found that completing raids would yield better loot than the cave did anyway - and it's more fun than shooting the same spot time and time again

Posted by Bappernz
On Saturday 27 Sep 2014 5:21 AM
nice to see they are actually keeping an eye on what the player base is doing

Posted by ModifiedSoul
On Monday 29 Sep 2014 11:47 AM
Rest in Peace Loot Cave :,(

Posted by Durty Driscoll
On Tuesday 21 Oct 2014 4:34 PM
Heaps more caves available now - no as rapid as this one but good enough if you want to waste your time