PS4 Continues to Outsell Xbox One

PS4 Continues to Outsell Xbox One

Sony's PlayStation 4 console has outsold Xbox One in the US for the eighth month in a row in August, according to the latest stats from Sony and NPD.

"PlayStation 4 was number one in hardware sales for the eighth consecutive month and remains the cumulative leader for next generation game consoles." said senior vice president PlayStation Marketing, Guy Longworth. "For the third consecutive month, PlayStation was number one in combined home console hardware sales (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3)."

However, Sony didn't reveal the number of consoles sold, while Microsoft and Nintendo are yet to announce any stats on console performance.

The best-selling games for August (also in the North American market), according to NPD, were Madden NFL 15, which performed best on PlayStation 4, followed by Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, Minecraft, The Last of Us, and Call of Duty: Ghosts.

Source: JoystiqGameSpot

Posted by mchumdinghy
On Friday 12 Sep 2014 6:22 PM
The thing that pushed me over from Xbox to PlayStation this generation was mostly the fact that the 360 became a Halo-kinect box towards the end of its life cycle which got really old really fast. Then last years E3 tipped the balance - PS4 is more powerful, was cheaper and something that was significant to me was how much smaller it was. It really was an easy sell

On Friday 12 Sep 2014 6:45 PM
At this point I'm not shocked as alot isn't out on either.

Around Christmas xbox sales should go up, but they probably won't surpass ps4 unless they release some must plays.

Posted by predatorhunter
On Friday 12 Sep 2014 6:47 PM
who cares which sells better? as long as you buy what you want its not a big deal.

Posted by Romulus
On Friday 12 Sep 2014 7:01 PM
12 September 2014, 06:47 PM Reply to predatorhunter
The man speaks the truth!

LeftoversNZ
Posted by LeftoversNZ
On Friday 12 Sep 2014 7:26 PM
All I know is that I enjoy the shiz outta my XB1. Couldn't care less about sales numbers but at the end of the day the XB1 sales are actually really good it's just that the PS4 is doing phenomenally well beyond anyone expectations including Sony's own. They've even gone as far as making statements that they don't understand it themselves even accounting for estimates based on previous install base and estimates of console jumpers.

On Friday 12 Sep 2014 7:29 PM
12 September 2014, 07:26 PM Reply to LeftoversNZ
I've been preaching this for ages, XB1 is selling amazing but the PS4 is doing unexpectedly amazing numbers.

I actually enjoy seeing updates on who's doing better. In a year I expect it will be alot tighter and more interesting to watch.

LeftoversNZ
Posted by LeftoversNZ
On Friday 12 Sep 2014 7:38 PM
12 September 2014, 07:29 PM Reply to drunk_monk

It's a little bit of a roles reversed situation, The PS3 was on the back foot for a while there but towards the end things got a lot tighter. Personally I find the battle between the two fascinating.

stringcheeesebanana
Posted by stringcheeesebanana
On Friday 12 Sep 2014 10:36 PM
Microsoft will catch up. I read it in the cosmos

Posted by Bappernz
On Saturday 13 Sep 2014 5:42 PM
Not really surprised by this, xmas sales will be the real telling point this year

Posted by Goonertron
On Saturday 13 Sep 2014 5:52 PM
With multiplayer being so important the one that got infront 1st always was going to win. With people going were their friends are and with the PS4 launching 100 dollars cheaper it was always going to go that way.

MS just need to kill it with exclusives to give the PS4 people a reason to get a XB1. Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive looking like a good reason for PS4 players to maybe get tempted.

Posted by CoffeeAddict
On Saturday 13 Sep 2014 11:47 PM
Its a good thing for gaming that both consoles are doing great business.

Posted by guido
On Monday 15 Sep 2014 6:09 PM
I really like Destiny thus far but I have one question and one question alone. Why is it that on the website I can rotate the 3D models of my weapons, armour etc but I can NOT do so in the game?? Or am I missing something!?

TL:DR why is website better than game?!

Posted by guido
On Monday 15 Sep 2014 6:10 PM
ˆˆˆ Well that went spectacularly in the wrong place?! :-D

Posted by Vicx
On Friday 19 Sep 2014 9:05 PM
COD Ghosts is still a top seller in August? Now that's the real surprise..

Posted by Vicx
On Friday 19 Sep 2014 9:09 PM
13 September 2014, 05:52 PM Reply to Goonertron

Forza doesn't stand a chance next to Project Cars but thats a multiplat fortunately. That along with Drive Club is more than enough for PS4 owners to stay content.

Brizilla