Resolution Comparisons a "PR Differentiation," says Witcher Developer

Resolution Comparisons a

Marcin Iwinski, co-founder of The Witcher series developer CD Projekt Red, has weighed in on the ongoing debate about resolution comparisons by saying that it is "more of a PR differentiation" than anything else.

Since the launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles last year, many cross-platform titles have supported higher resolutions on Sony's system than on Microsoft.

However, when Eurogamer asked Iwinski about resolution differences between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of The Witcher 3, Iwinski downplayed the importance of such comparisons.

"The final effect, whether it's 720p, 1080p - we had the debate in the studio about it and actually asked our tech guys to explain how it works, and they sent me some complicated graphs that [said] 'if I have this size of the screen, and I sit one meter or two meters from it, then I might be able to see the difference'. It's more of a PR differentiation, which is very important for Sony right now - and they are using it, obviously - than something that is really meaningful to gamers."

Iwinski said that it is too early to tell what differences there will be between the console versions of The Witcher 3, but said that they will be minor at most. "It will be more like people talking 'hey, I have this and you have that and this is better'," he said.

However, Iwinski went on to say that CD Projekt Red will not hold back performance of either console to ensure they offer an identical experience. "No we don't want to make any artificial things with the game, and both platform holders are supportive in terms of making sure it runs to the full potential," he said. "Again, it's against our values to dumb anything down for the sake of some business arrangement."

Earlier this year, Microsoft's Boyd Multerer said that Xbox One resolutions would increase over time, as developers got more comfortable with the console's architecture.

Posted by Meanvision
On Friday 16 May 2014 6:03 PM
My eyes are to bad these days to tell the difference anyway

WuckenFanker
Posted by WuckenFanker
On Friday 16 May 2014 7:42 PM
16 May 2014, 06:03 PM Reply to Meanvision
My eyes are to bad these days to tell the difference anyway
Same here. I thought that dr3 was good looking and played great but look at what the resolution is and what the fps runs at. For me in any game it's... Gameplay>Graphics. Fanboys on the internet will tell you a different story though.

rocketman12
Posted by rocketman12
On Friday 16 May 2014 8:06 PM
Personally I think we care to much about resolutions these days, I remember the good days when we used to enjoy gaming and weren't worried about such things.

Super-Pangolin
Posted by Super-Pangolin
On Friday 16 May 2014 9:54 PM
I've found resolution to make a huge difference, but then I've grown up on the PS1-through-4 cycle to see the difference. I find it so difficult going from PC back to PS3 because you view the world around you in a game with less clarity... the more detailed an environment is, the more seamless and immersive it feels. For games that demand you pay close attention, or where "prettiness" is part of the appeal, this makes a huge difference... for games that are just fun though couldn't care less.

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Saturday 17 May 2014 12:51 PM
I agree with what this guys saying as ultimately it's not a big difference in what we can actually tell unless you are playing on massive sized screens there's not a lot to tell. Those who actually are really concerned about this probably aren't deluded enough to think that console gaming is where it's at for pretty environments and the best frame rates. The big difference there is the cost behind the ever increasing needs for upgrades with PC formats.

On Saturday 17 May 2014 9:25 PM
Before on my 40" I couldnt tell the difference. On my new 55" I can, but less-so from the couch. My eyes are pretty bad anyway that they provide pretty good anti=aliasing anyway lol

reavers
Posted by reavers
On Sunday 18 May 2014 9:17 PM
Love playing on my PC for the better graphics and immersion. However I wouldn't care much about resolution if it made the game slower eg. the framerate issue.
Overall I think games should be optimized to their platform to provide the best enjoyment

Posted by brettz0r
On Monday 19 May 2014 10:30 PM
It does all depend on your screen size, I find 720/1080 is noticeable from about 50" and above.
But if it came down to a choice between developers spending more time on graphics or gameplay, I'd choose gameplay every time.