Nintendo's New 2DS Unboxed

By: Alan Bell
Published: Friday 27 Sep 2013 1:43 PM

Nintendo's New 2DS Unboxed

Announced at the end of August, the Nintendo 2DS is the latest redesign of the company's flagship handheld - the 3DS.

Intended as an entry-level console, the 2DS drops the 3D functionality of the 3DS (which isn't suitable for young children, as it might damage their developing eyes.) It also no longer has any ability to fold closed like a clamshell, making for a quite different look to any recent Nintendo handheld.

Priced at $178, and releasing alongside Pokemon X / Y on October 12th, it's clear that Nintendo are shooting for mainstream appeal with the new device; will they hit the mark? We'll be bringing you our detailed impressions of the 2DS next week, but in the meantime, here are some photos of the NZGamer.com unit as we unboxed it this afternoon.

The top of the box; warning: mild violence

And the bottom of the box.

The contents is safely tucked away inside a cardboard insert and a series of bags

And this is what you get: the console itself, a charger, and a set of documents / AR cards / Club Nintendo token

A closeup of the actual handheld; the thin end of the wedge, quite literally.

The right-hand side of the 2DS, where the stylus slides away and SD cards are inserted

At the back you can see the game card slot and the charging jack; yes, it is the same jack as a regular 3DS / 3DS XL

The left hand side is home to the volume slider (there's no depth slider, of course, as the 2DS doesn't support 3D)

The companion carry case (sold separately) in all its zippered, neoprene glory

The inside of the case is very soft, and it's got a pocket for storing up to three 3DS game cartridges

Peekaboo!

More You May Like

Comments (8)

You must be logged in to post comments.

or Register now!
Coddfish NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Friday 27 Sep 2013 2:06 PM Posted by Coddfish
It comes with a companion case? That's really awesome if so, I wish more handhelds did that.

Can you lock the volume slider in place at 0, like you could with the original 3DS? One of the things that annoys me most about the XL is when I'm playing late at night in bed, with the volume off so as not to wake my sleeping girlfriend, and then I keep bumping the volume slider because of where it's placed.

Octavious NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Friday 27 Sep 2013 3:20 PM Posted by Octavious
I'm wondering if this version will alleviate the left hand cramp/ache that sometimes occurs when playing the DS clamshell for long periods. This might be worth looking at.

NZGamer
On Friday 27 Sep 2013 3:51 PM Posted by NZGamer
27 September 2013, 02:06 PM Reply to Coddfish

The companion case is separate - we've updated the article to make that clearer, thanks for pointing it out!

Otherwise, to answer your other question, you cannot lock the volume slider.

lol
On Friday 27 Sep 2013 5:23 PM Posted by lol
IMO it's a silly design... :P

kiwijinxter NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Friday 27 Sep 2013 9:05 PM Posted by kiwijinxter
My observations is that the 2DS doesn't need to work very hard to sell itself. It's more likely that Pokemon X and Y will sell the 2DS for people who don't want 3D. Brilliant strategy on Nintendo.

Seraphim NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Tuesday 1 Oct 2013 12:08 AM Posted by Seraphim
I guess it doesn't look too bad, will have to go with the black and red though I think. Will be the first handheld I've had since my gameboy color haha.

Coddfish NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Tuesday 1 Oct 2013 3:56 PM Posted by Coddfish
1 October 2013, 12:08 AM Reply to Seraphim
Sadly, if you want a black and red one, you'll probably have to import one - according to Alan's more detailed review, that colourway isn't releasing here.

Seraphim NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Tuesday 1 Oct 2013 7:10 PM Posted by Seraphim
1 October 2013, 03:56 PM Reply to Coddfish
Yeah I was reading that this morning and was thinking damn. I'll probably be getting the black and blue then.