Volition Working on Revised Version of Saints Row IV for Australia

By: Alan Bell
Published: Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 9:25 AM

Volition Working on Revised Version of Saints Row IV for Australia

Publisher Deep Silver have officially commented on the news that Saints Row IV has been banned in Australia, confirming that Volition are hard at work on a version of the game that will adhere to that country's strict classification requirements.

Deep Silver can confirm that Saints Row IV was denied an age classification in Australia. Volition, the developer, are reworking some of the code to create a version of the game for this territory by removing the content which could cause offence without reducing the outlandish gameplay that Saints Row fans know and love. Saints Row IV has been awarded PEGI 18 and ESRB M ratings where fans can enjoy their time in Steelport as originally intended.

At this stage, it's not clear which version of the game will be released in New Zealand; distribution for the title is handled by a company that is based in Australia but has a separate office on this side of the Tasman.

The game has been rated R18 by The New Zealand Office of Film & Literature Classification in its original form, meaning that it would be legal to sell (and own) that version of the game in this country.

We've requested confirmation as to which variant of the game will be available at retail here when the game releases on August 22nd, and we'll bring that information to your attention as soon as they respond.

Source: Joystiq. Cheers for the tip MoonlightKiD! Enjoy your bonus VIP points.

More You May Like

Comments (22)

You must be logged in to post comments.

or Register now!
AlmightyAllan
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 9:36 AM Posted by AlmightyAllan
Hopefully we won't be forced to import the watered down version of Saints 4 from Aussie. That would be such a drag considering as you stated in the article the original game was given an R18 Classification. This sort of thing makes me wonder why we don't get these games directly. But I guess given the size of NZ it isn't really viable. Oh well.

cortez72 NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 9:50 AM Posted by cortez72
The communist style censorship of Aussie media continues. I'm surprised they're allowed the internet. And sharp and/or pointy objects.

This comment has been promoted by the community.
tom_nz NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 10:17 AM Posted by tom_nz
So dumb. What is wrong with them? So they have this new R18+ classification but it seems like they r still classifying by the old guidelines.

dark_hadou1 NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 10:37 AM Posted by dark_hadou1
Surely Australians could still get their hands on a copy of the game by importing it or buying it via steam on PC or something?

I mean a watered down version of a game because of some stuffy old person sitting in an office, mediating things they don't like?

I would have thought more people would have a choice these days, especially after Australia broke the 'no R18 classification' barrier.

That just plain sucks.

ALK3MiST NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 11:48 AM Posted by ALK3MiST
here they go, not bad enough that they ruined it for their country but they might drag us in too?! wtf

MA3LK
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 11:51 AM Posted by MA3LK
26 June 2013, 11:48 AM Reply to ALK3MiST
NZ got the revised version of GTA4 when it was released because Aus had it censored. So its likely the same thing will happen if they manage to get it approved before launch.

procion NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 12:53 PM Posted by procion
I pre ordered the big CE from Amazon in Germany, but their censorship laws are even worse than China's.. I hope we get the Region 2 BD version on PS3

procion NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 1:00 PM Posted by procion
26 June 2013, 09:36 AM Reply to AlmightyAllan
I do notice region 2 BD releases on PS3 sometimes. It's still SCEE, but I've always worried our slightly more liberal and "open" censorship laws might be affected anyway by Australia's lack thereof of having an R18 rating , then their laws ruining our games when they did finally get the R18 rating, whenever I get "locale" games. Good job we can order so easily from other countries of choice ourselves(I wish thebookdepository.com did games... based in the Channel Islands their books are very good value, it's a tax haven. No tax, no VAT, free postage, they need games and music :) )

KatalystaKaos NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 3:32 PM Posted by KatalystaKaos
For those wondering what the Aussie Censors took offence to it was a Alien Anal Probe weapon and Alien Narcotics that give the player "Superpowers"

I love living in Aussie but this is just god-damn embarrassing.

Heres more info from kotaku:

Seraphim NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 3:33 PM Posted by Seraphim
Well I hope we don't get the watered down version. I don't understand what their problem with it is though? You can't just pick and choose when you enforce these guidelines.

Fatmike NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 6:11 PM Posted by Fatmike
Using alien drugs and alien probes = bad. Normal guns, crotch punching, and running people down in monster trucks = still good. Lesson learned. Thanks Australia.

PunisherNZL
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 6:15 PM Posted by PunisherNZL
If we dont get the original R18 version ill pass on this. I want to play the game the creators put the time and effort into making, not this "Australian PG version" I do feel for our neighbours when things like this happen but it also makes me pissed that their laws can effect us when we are our own country with our own set of guidelines

Coddfish NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 6:18 PM Posted by Coddfish
If the Kotaku article is accurate, then I think they did the right thing, at least as far as the anal probe weapon is concerned. I understand that ridiculous toilet humour is what the series aims for, but from the Kotaku description, that just takes the trivialising of a serious issue like sexual assault to a whole new low. It isn't an issue of people playing the game and suddenly going out and committing crimes, nor is it really an issue of offending people (though that could be really really triggering to sexual assault survivors), but rather, the problem lies in the way that jokes like these contribute to the idea that, under the 'right' circ*mstances, sexual assault is okay and even amusing, which is just bizarre and twisted.
Imagine if a game included blackface costumes for 'humour'? It's the same kind of problem.

At the same time, I don't know how much good banning the game will actually do, when the problem lies with developers thinking this is okay and not taking responsibility for what they produce. I don't know how far banning a product in one country will go to addressing that.

KatalystaKaos NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 6:38 PM Posted by KatalystaKaos
26 June 2013, 06:18 PM Reply to Coddfish

Yes on reflection I agree, the Anal Probe is unnecessary and takes things to a whole new level of "just wrong". Anyone who gets upset because an adjusted version means they won't be able to assault some ones butt with a probe probably needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Those Alien drugs though, now that is a completely different story....

KatalystaKaos NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 6:43 PM Posted by KatalystaKaos
Oh a thumbs down :( someone upset missing out on the butt play???

Coddfish NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 6:45 PM Posted by Coddfish
26 June 2013, 06:38 PM Reply to KatalystaKaos

Those Alien drugs though, now that is a completely different story....
I agree with you 100% on the narcotics thing. The only problem I can see with that is it being imitatable, which is a problem that should be addressed by an age restriction.

It doesn't sound any different to buff mechanics in Every Other Game Ever, aside from being called "Narcotics"

KatalystaKaos NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 7:02 PM Posted by KatalystaKaos
26 June 2013, 06:45 PM Reply to Coddfish

Yes that be easy fixed with a name change, this occurred a few years back with another game Fallout I think, where from memory the drugs refereed too where actual real world narcotics I believe.

Be interesting to see how they address the A.A.P guess it will come down in part to how big a part of the game it ever was. A simple omission may be all that is required. If there was a mission based around obtaining and using it then it'll most likely need replacement in the form of a less invasive weapon. Could even mean a local(AU) Trophy/Achievement change if a probe count related Trophy/Cheevo was listed.

KatalystaKaos NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 7:21 PM Posted by KatalystaKaos
It gets worse.....

Lifeforce NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 7:42 PM Posted by Lifeforce
26 June 2013, 07:21 PM Reply to KatalystaKaos
It gets worse.....

It's interesting, I thought the AO rating was supposed to stop games from getting RC'd because of drugs. I mean, Fallout 3 was refused classification over drug use about five years ago now.

tuftsdude NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 7:45 PM Posted by tuftsdude
Pretty weird considering most of the violent/sexual games were MA15+ a while back..

sick_wierdo
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 11:11 PM Posted by sick_wierdo
26 June 2013, 09:36 AM Reply to AlmightyAllan
Why would you be forced to import the crap aussie version? Import the uncut version from anywhere not based in Australia.

LoftyDog NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Thursday 27 Jun 2013 2:10 AM Posted by LoftyDog
26 June 2013, 09:36 AM Reply to AlmightyAllan
that or just order a version from playasia or nzgameshop. Wont get the aussie version then. Or perhaps purchase it through the PSN or Xbox Live