Bethesda Lower Digital Pricing, NZ Tax Applies

Bethesda Lower Digital Pricing, NZ Tax Applies

Bethesda announced over the weekend that they have recently dropped the prices of a number of their digitally downloadable titles, across all three supported platforms. Some of the prices apply in New Zealand, however not all of the games have been discounted equally for Kiwi gamers (or, in some cases, at all.)

The below table shows the new prices in the US, along with what the game will cost you when purchased from New Zealand (which is sometimes in $USD, sometimes $NZD, and - where indicated - in Microsoft Points / MSP.)

PlatformTitleUS ($USD)NZ ($NZD)NZ ($USD)

XBLAOblivion: Shivering Isles800 MSP800 MSPn/a
 XBLAThe Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim$29.99$49.95n/a
 XBLADishonored$29.99$49.95n/a
 XBLAFallout: New Vegas$14.99$19.95n/a
 XBLAFallout 3$14.99$19.95n/a
 XBLAFallout 3 DLC (each)400 MSP400 MSPn/a
 XBLAQuake Arena Arcade400 MSP400 MSPn/a
PSNOblivion: Shivering Isles$9.99n/an/a
PSNDishonored$29.99$109.95n/a
PSNFallout 3 DLC (each)$4.99$18.95n/a
SteamThe Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim$29.99n/a$34.99
SteamDishonored$29.99n/a$44.99
SteamFallout: New Vegas$14.99n/a$14.99
SteamFallout 3 DLC (each)$4.99n/a$4.99

We've approached Bethesda for comment, and will update the story should they respond.

Original source: Joystiq

Posted by supabowl
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 10:43 AM
No discount on Dragonborn DLC? I been waiting for a steam sale so I can afford it but it seems like its taking forever :(

Posted by CloudAxel16
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 11:34 AM
Hmm, PSN will probably update prices for us during the store update maybe?

fauzman
Posted by fauzman
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 12:27 PM
I have to say that looking at those prices, I as a ps3 owner feel hard done by. Look at the difference in NZ dollars for the games on the xbox and ps3. Dishonored on psn is double the price of the same game on xbla. The fallout dlc also more than triples in price when going from the US to the NZ dollar. And this is the digital version.

WTF? I mean seriously, who comes up with these prices (sony or bethesda?). Small wonder few people buy games on the psn.

Posted by OriginalSin
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 1:11 PM
24 June 2013, 10:43 AM Reply to supabowl
Yeah, it's currently cheaper to buy the Skyrim Legendary Edition than it is to buy the 3 DLC's to expand your original. Screw early adopters though right, seems fair....

Posted by cortez72
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 2:20 PM
24 June 2013, 10:43 AM Reply to supabowl
Dude, it is worth the money. Great DLC. But, like OriginalSin said, just buy the game again, work's out cheaper.

Posted by Coddfish
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 2:45 PM
24 June 2013, 12:27 PM Reply to fauzman

PSN has some okay sales from time to time, but as a general rule, yeah, PSN prices are garbage.
It's like you're paying for the privilege of digital downloads, instead of paying cheaper prices due to the lack of extra costs that physical copies incur.

Posted by Coddfish
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 2:48 PM
I have to wonder how much of the price disparity is due to taxes applied to games sold in NZ, and how much is due to profiteering on the part of publishers/Sony/Microsoft due to higher prices being standard here, and more accepted as a result.

phantom
Posted by phantom
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 2:58 PM
24 June 2013, 02:48 PM Reply to Coddfish
There must be some level of tax involved; how does Steam pricing work with the state-level taxation in the US? Do people pay tax on that stuff? Presumably they do, right? If so, it would make sense that we also pay GST on Steam purchases, but I also wouldn't be particularly surprised if this all falls into a giant, old-man shaped loophole called "outdated laws zone" or something.

Posted by Coddfish
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 4:41 PM
24 June 2013, 02:58 PM Reply to phantom
I'd love to know more about the specifics of what taxes and other costs are involved in selling games here, to get a better understanding of why our prices are so high, for both digital and physical versions. I don't doubt that there are taxes applied, but I have to wonder to what extent they are forced onto digital retailers like Steam? GOG.com employs global pricing, so either there's a loophole somewhere, or they're breaking a bunch of laws with all the sh*t I buy from them.

It just seems impossible to get solid info on this from anyone though, which only make me more suspicious.

phantom
Posted by phantom
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 5:06 PM
24 June 2013, 04:41 PM Reply to Coddfish

It seems likely sales on the likes of GoG.com are required to adhere to NZ tax laws, but I don't know for certain. Some iOS games are unavailable here (like id software titles) because Apple don't facilitate the payment of tax in this territory, so the publishers block the sale of those games because sorting it out themselves is too much hassle. GoG.com illegally sell games banned in NZ to kiwis, so I don't think they much care tbh.

sick_wierdo
Posted by sick_wierdo
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 5:41 PM
Why does Bethesda hate the PS3??!! Aaaargh

fauzman
Posted by fauzman
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 5:53 PM
24 June 2013, 02:45 PM Reply to Coddfish
Totally agree. That is pretty much what i do now - I bought all my FF games as well as I:festival of blood in sales. PS+ is good for this as you often get discounts.

Jakted
Posted by Jakted
On Monday 24 Jun 2013 9:38 PM
even older games that are cheap still sting you for the DLC cause they havent dropped in price.

LoftyDog
Posted by LoftyDog
On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 2:04 AM
its a shame we don't see price parity between regions yet. There is no reason a digital game in NZ should cost more than a digital game in the US (other than exchange rate).

dihartnell
Posted by dihartnell
On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 10:00 AM
25 June 2013, 02:04 AM Reply to LoftyDog
+1. Either steam and/or the publishers are price gouging. When you see them jacking up the USD price by 60% when sold here in NZ vs US then its profiteering.

dihartnell
Posted by dihartnell
On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 10:02 AM
Its worse for Australia. Their currency is worth more than the USD and yet they often pay well above the US price for their computer gear and software.....

LoftyDog
Posted by LoftyDog
On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 1:02 PM
25 June 2013, 10:00 AM Reply to dihartnell
not sure where the margin is going, but its going somewhere. I get why phsyical copies cost more (small market, remote shipping location).

tom_nz
Posted by tom_nz
On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 4:20 PM
I would care about this if I hadn't already played all these games except for the random Quake one.

procion
Posted by procion
On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 9:19 PM
I take it the Skyrim is not the Legendary Edition on Steam for this price?

Posted by Vicx
On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 10:23 PM
I'm sure the reason SCEE is still ripping off NZ is because so many people here are still oblivious to the fact you can import and/or buy from international PSN stores. Just look at the difference between Dishonored between platforms, that's way more than just taxes, it's straight up milking.

Posted by cortez72
On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 9:58 AM
Interestingly while the PSN version of Dishonored is $109.95, you can pick it up from Mighty Ape for $40.

XBLA want $49.95 for it, but Mighty Ape charge $39.

EB on the other hand want $68 for both versions of the game.