EA have announced that they are shutting down online game servers for a number of their games, citing declining popularity as the reason for the imminent cessation of services. The service updates page on ea.com suggests that, once a title dips below 1% of "all peak online players across all EA titles", it is no longer viable to continue to run the server for that game.
So which games are getting the chop? EA are doing this next switch-off (it's not the first, nor will it be the last) in two phases:
August 11, 2011 Online Service Shutdown
• ARMY OF TWO for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
• ARMY OF TWO Demo for Xbox 360
• Battlefield 2142 Demo for PC
• Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for Xbox 360
• Battlefield 2: Modern Combat Demo for Xbox 360
Medal of Honor Airborne for PlayStation Portable*
• Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
• NASCAR 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (North America)
• NCAA Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
• NCAA Football 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
• Need for Speed Most Wanted for PC and Xbox 360
• Need for Speed Undercover for PlayStation Portable;
• SKATE for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
• Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
• Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
October 1, 2011 Online Service Shutdown
• Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
• NHL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
EA also provide a list of games that have already had their server support removed (meaning only that you can no longer play them online - they will still work as singleplayer games, where such a mode exists in the title) - which you can also see on their service updates page.
* Medal of Honor: Airborne, despite being listed on EA's service updates page, was never released on PSP. Presumably this refers to another title but, at this stage, it's not clear which one that is. Cheers to Soyerz for pointing out the error!