L.A. Noire Crashing Consoles? [updated]

Update: Sony have made a statement regarding the issues we reported this morning:

We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3’s overheating or shutting down while playing LA Noire. We can confirm at this time that neither LA Noire or firmware update 3.61 are causing the hardware to overheat. We are both committed to working hard to find solutions to this and any issues that arise and will be sure to update our support information as solutions become available. In the meantime, please consult either company's support sites for troubleshooting advice .

Original story follows...

We're hearing reports from various online sources (including Rockstar's own forums) that users are experiencing issues with L.A. Noire, which releases here today.

It's not yet clear whether the problem is with the game or with the people who's consoles haven't been used for a while (there was even a rumour that it was related to the new PS3 firmware, at one point), however if you're experiencing issues, Rockstar have put up a series of tips and possible workarounds while they investigate the issue:

1. Delete your L.A. Noire Game Data (not save data) from the PS3 Game Data Utility. If on 360, clear the 360 cache.

2. Create a new temporary PS3 user to ensure that new save files are created. If on 360, create an offline Silver Gamertag.

3. Launch the game and try again. If you are on PS3, try playing while signed out of PSN.

4. Check your disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or other damage. Clean if necessary.

5. Check other game discs in your PS3/360 to see if issues are occurring in other games, suggesting a potential console problem.

6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software.

If the issue is still happening, please click "Submit a Request" [on the Rockstar support page] and provide as much detail as possible about what PS3/360 model you are playing on and what steps you follow in the game when it crashes. Let us know exactly what you see (e.g. freeze, black screen, return to system software, etc). and what you are doing in the game when the issue occurs.

Also, if you are on PS3 please move your L.A. Noire save files onto a USB drive and then transfer them to a PC. Compress the folder on the USB drive called "PS3" and attach that file. We will take a look at your save file to see if we can learn more about the issue and its resolution.

Have you got the game? Are you experiencing any issues? Let us know in the comments below!

Posted by Byskyre
On Friday 20 May 2011 12:09 PM
Oh noes! I'm picking this up this afternoon, hopefully I don't get any problems!

Posted by Xenojay
On Friday 20 May 2011 3:30 PM
I will be gutted if this happens...but...I've heard so many good things about this game that I'm sure it won't!

Fingers crossed!

Posted by oh2bme
On Friday 20 May 2011 4:31 PM
Played this yesterday, I didn't get far but no problems (ps3)

Posted by Deanology
On Friday 20 May 2011 6:01 PM
not a good start.. lol
well, the game will be worth it.. if what i've seen is anything to go by.

Posted by fauzman
On Friday 20 May 2011 6:47 PM
That was a pretty emphatic no to it being a problem with the console. Im sure if there is a problem with the consoles, sony will replace them free of charge. Something else for sony to worry about. Talk about bad luck.

Wh1teDeAth88
Posted by Wh1teDeAth88
On Friday 20 May 2011 7:39 PM
Just got my copy so hopefully I dont run into any problems...

Posted by The Host of Chaos
On Friday 20 May 2011 8:06 PM
I haven't had any issues whatsoever last night or this morning. No I'm a bit nervous about playing it tonight...

Posted by The Host of Chaos
On Friday 20 May 2011 8:11 PM
20 May 2011, 08:06 PM Reply to The Host of Chaos
Hmmm now there is a 1.01 patch to download. Pretty small. Were the freezes happening before or after this patch?

NZ_POLSKA
Posted by NZ_POLSKA
On Friday 20 May 2011 9:48 PM
I have a 60gb console and im getting the flashing red light I can play all my other games fine except LA Noire which turns my console off. Im really pissed off because I was waiting for this game for ages and I can even play it. :(

Draken4299
Posted by Draken4299
On Saturday 21 May 2011 10:02 AM
I get it lagging every now and then but only for a second or two. Other than that it's fine

MA3LK
Posted by MA3LK
On Saturday 21 May 2011 1:36 PM
Comment has been removed.
I believe that would be because PSN is online but the PSN store down, They might have not taken that into account when they coded that part.

Wh1teDeAth88
Posted by Wh1teDeAth88
On Saturday 21 May 2011 4:02 PM
Just noticed one freezing issue and it happens everytime, but it doesn't affect gameplay: If you try to access Playstation Store from the main menu, the game will freeze everytime and you will need to do a hard reset of the console. I just put this down to the Playstation Store being down and the game not knowing what to do about it in lamens terms.