Update: Sony have made a statement regarding the issues we reported this morning:
We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3’s overheating or shutting down while playing LA Noire. We can confirm at this time that neither LA Noire or firmware update 3.61 are causing the hardware to overheat. We are both committed to working hard to find solutions to this and any issues that arise and will be sure to update our support information as solutions become available. In the meantime, please consult either company's support sites for troubleshooting advice .
Original story follows...
We're hearing reports from various online sources (including Rockstar's own forums) that users are experiencing issues with L.A. Noire, which releases here today.
It's not yet clear whether the problem is with the game or with the people who's consoles haven't been used for a while (there was even a rumour that it was related to the new PS3 firmware, at one point), however if you're experiencing issues, Rockstar have put up a series of tips and possible workarounds while they investigate the issue:
1. Delete your L.A. Noire Game Data (not save data) from the PS3 Game Data Utility. If on 360, clear the 360 cache.
2. Create a new temporary PS3 user to ensure that new save files are created. If on 360, create an offline Silver Gamertag.
3. Launch the game and try again. If you are on PS3, try playing while signed out of PSN.
4. Check your disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or other damage. Clean if necessary.
5. Check other game discs in your PS3/360 to see if issues are occurring in other games, suggesting a potential console problem.
6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software.
If the issue is still happening, please click "Submit a Request" [on the Rockstar support page] and provide as much detail as possible about what PS3/360 model you are playing on and what steps you follow in the game when it crashes. Let us know exactly what you see (e.g. freeze, black screen, return to system software, etc). and what you are doing in the game when the issue occurs.
Also, if you are on PS3 please move your L.A. Noire save files onto a USB drive and then transfer them to a PC. Compress the folder on the USB drive called "PS3" and attach that file. We will take a look at your save file to see if we can learn more about the issue and its resolution.
Have you got the game? Are you experiencing any issues? Let us know in the comments below!