Destiny 2 Dev Admits they 'Betrayed' Player Trust with XP Throttling, Promises to Do Better

Destiny 2 developer Bungie issued a blog post today, expounding on the current state of the game. While the post details some upcoming changes for the sci-fi loot-shooter, it more directly addresses fans’ reaction to the uncovering of an XP-throttling system, which many believed was being used to direct them towards microtranscations.

“Last weekend, we disabled a scaling mechanism that adjusted XP gains up and down without reflecting those adjustments in the UI,” the dev team wrote. “Our intention was to keep slower-paced activities as rewarding as high intensity grinding without confusing variations in displayed XP values, but the silent nature of the mechanic betrayed the expectation of transparency that you have for Destiny 2.”

“We were able to disable the system with a server-side change, but a new solution is now needed to rebalance XP in Destiny 2,” the post continued. “We have begun that work, and will continue to provide updates to you about timelines and specifics.”

“Going forward, we plan to continue this dialog as openly and frequently as possible. This will be an ongoing process, but one that we are committed to.”

Some big systems changes and additions are also on the way, including:

• Masterwork Weapons, which will track stats, and have random re-rollable bonuses
  • Armour Ornaments, giving specific gear a new cosmetic look
  • Better rewards for Strikes, Adventures, and Lost Sectors
  • Changes to the mod economy, changing how they’re acquired
  • Fated Engrams, a high-cost purchase from Xur which will guarantee an Exotic not already in your collection

For a full rundown, head on over to the Bungie Blog.

Posted by Bunnny
On Thursday 30 Nov 2017 1:49 PM
Hmm how much for a fated engram eh

Posted by Tin-Automaton
On Thursday 30 Nov 2017 1:50 PM
30 November 2017, 01:49 PM Reply to Bunnny
Hmm how much for a fated engram eh
Looking at the blog post, about 97 shards -- but that could probably change

On Thursday 30 Nov 2017 1:54 PM
The throttling isnt the reason they lost my trust , its the fact they had a progressed endgame in D1 and destroyed it in D2, They basically took something and made it worse.
I was happy with the amount of bright engrams I was getting, I thought it was quite fair for the amount I was playing, I guess it would be nice to know that you have capped your daily xp on some activities though,

Posted by ReaperCrew
On Thursday 30 Nov 2017 3:01 PM
Is it deja vu or are Bungie slow learners? They seem to be regularly making apologies for many of their decisions and promising to do better. I do (mostly) enjoy the game and I understand there is a very vocal and passionate community of players, it's just a shame Bungie seem to keep trying to milk the players and their wallets.

Posted by cortez72
On Thursday 30 Nov 2017 3:09 PM
‘Apologies’ are the new DLC.

Posted by AdamC
On Thursday 30 Nov 2017 3:16 PM
“It’s easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission “

Posted by atipuss
On Thursday 30 Nov 2017 4:21 PM
30 November 2017, 01:49 PM Reply to Bunnny
Hmm how much for a fated engram eh
ALL of your shards plus 9 :D

Posted by Outlaw213
On Thursday 30 Nov 2017 6:32 PM
"We are only sorry cause we got caught"

"We will try to hide our lies better from now on"

Posted by ActualTats
On Friday 1 Dec 2017 12:12 AM
30 November 2017, 06:32 PM Reply to Outlaw213
"We are only sorry cause we got caught"

"We will try to hide our lies better from now on"
'We are sorry and we don't want to end up like EA'

Posted by czk51
On Friday 1 Dec 2017 10:08 AM
Some nice additions there but without a new raid (admittedly we still don't know much about Lairs of The Leviathan) I'm still not compelled to sink too much time into the game. At this stage I'll probably play the DLC and not concern myself with grinding to the highest power level.

Posted by cortez72
On Friday 1 Dec 2017 10:48 AM
1 December 2017, 10:08 AM Reply to czk51
Sounds like you’re looking for a linear story model of game rather than a grind. According to EA you don’t exist!

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Saturday 2 Dec 2017 9:48 PM
I really liked D1, didn't like the exhorbitant pricing of the dlc side of it.....this led to me moving away from the game. Picked up D2 with the first set of DLC...really enjoyed it, found myself remembering just what I loved about the first game...got to the grindy part and lost pretty much all interest at around the 280 level...Do not remembering even playing the game once last month. I will try again with the release of the new DLC but don't overly hold my breath it'll lure me back for too long.