The Witcher 3 dev CD Projekt Red took to social media today, to allay concerns over their upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077.
In an interview earlier this month, CEO Adam Kicinski said that they were “interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant,” with online being “very necessary” for it to achieve long-term success.
Some fans thought this would mean that Cyberpunk would follow the games-as-a-service model (like that of Destiny 2), and the singleplayer experience would suffer. The studio replied via Twitter.
.@PrettyBadTweets Worry not. When thinking CP2077, think nothing less than TW3 — huge single player, open world, story-driven RPG. No hidden catch, you get what you pay for — no bullshit, just honest gaming like with Wild Hunt. We leave greed to others.— CD PROJEKT RED (@CDPROJEKTRED) November 19, 2017
CD Projekt’s response comes off the back of a tense week in gaming, where public reaction to Star Wars Battlefront II’s microtransactions and loot boxes reached boiling point. Fans were so outraged, that publisher EA temporarily removed the ability to purchase premium currency.
The studio generated a lot of goodwill around the release of The Witcher 3, offering hefty content patches and free packs of DLC. As Eurogamer points out however, they have come under fire for their work ethic; reports of overworked and undercompensated employees surfaced. “This approach to making games is not for everyone,” the company said in a statement.