EA Temporarily Turns Off Star Wars Battlefront 2's Microtransactions

EA Temporarily Turns Off Star Wars Battlefront 2's Microtransactions

Publisher EA and developer DICE have temporarily turned off the microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II, following a very heated week of public backlash.

Here's the full statement:

Thank you to everyone in our community for being the passionate fans that you are.

Our goal has always been to create the best possible game for all of you – devoted Star Wars fans and game players alike. We’ve also had an ongoing commitment to constantly listen, tune and evolve the experience as it grows. You’ve seen this with both the major adjustments, and polish, we have made over the past several weeks.

But as we approach the worldwide launch, it's clear that many of you feel there are still challenges in the design. We’ve heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. And we’ve heard that this is overshadowing an otherwise great game. This was never our intention. Sorry we didn’t get this right.

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

We have created a game that is built on your input, and it will continue to evolve and grow. Star Wars Battlefront II is three times the size of the previous game, bringing to life a brand new Star Wars story, space battles, epic new multiplayer experiences across all three Star Wars eras, with more free content to come. We want you to enjoy it, so please keep your thoughts coming. And we will keep you updated on our progress.

It's unclear when the ability to purchase Crystals -- which can be bought via microtransactions -- will be turned back on.

Posted by Paorio
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 2:41 PM
Question: It's unclear when the ability to purchase Crystals will be turned back on.

Answer: The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

Posted by Tin-Automaton
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 2:52 PM
17 November 2017, 02:41 PM Reply to Paorio

Yes, but we don't know when that will be. It could be a week. It could be a month. It could be next year.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 2:54 PM
Holy sh*t. I honestly can't believe. Still skeptical though. Will wait until they way progression is changed before I buy it. I'm seriously tempted now though....

Posted by Jono91
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 2:55 PM
Star Wars - Microtransactions - A New Hope.

Posted by czk51
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 2:56 PM
As a UI tester I wonder what the actual process is and how it's changed. Like, does it just give an error if you try to purchase anything? Or have they had the mechanism to remove any links to transactions in the game all along and only just flicked a switch?

Posted by czk51
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 3:00 PM
17 November 2017, 02:56 PM Reply to czk51
found my answer "Many people now reporting that Crystal purchasing has now dissappeared or been removed leaving behind an error when trying to purchase from PSN and XBL"

Posted by lax1
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 3:10 PM
Good move, EA were even getting bad press on Wall St about this so maybe that's what finally made them take notice..? Either way sounds like a change for the good, was going to wait but more tempted now.

Posted by kniteowl
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 3:14 PM
17 November 2017, 02:54 PM Reply to ChieftaiNZ
This is a promise of “a new hope” for the return of the Jedi characters to all players who enjoyed them in the last Battlefront. Hopefully it is a while before the empire strikes back with the micro transactions...

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 3:35 PM
It’s been turned off so they can’t be investigated for gambling while it’s turned off.

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 3:46 PM
17 November 2017, 03:35 PM Reply to AdamC
I think you are right. And I hope they are found to be a form of gambling. Loot boxes are just awful.

Posted by lax1
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 3:48 PM
The call came from Mickey himself! https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/star-wars-battlefront-ii-microtransactions-go-offline-until-ea-can-make-changes/

On Friday 17 Nov 2017 3:56 PM
The cynic in me reckons enough preorders were cancelled to make them respond this way.

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 3:59 PM
17 November 2017, 03:56 PM Reply to drunk_monk
Oh I really hope that’s the reason and they really do make changes in future.

Posted by Ron
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 5:30 PM
17 November 2017, 03:56 PM Reply to drunk_monk
I'll await their official move b4 a purchase tbh.

Posted by hitokirix
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 8:03 PM
Ha its amazing what gamers can do when they band together wish it would happen more often

Posted by captain X nz
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 10:08 PM
17 November 2017, 08:03 PM Reply to hitokirix
Gamers can also make the choice to ignore micro transaction rather than succ*mb to them.

I get that this is a big deal for a lot of people, but the game has other problems, more actual game related.

Posted by cortez72
On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 12:37 AM
17 November 2017, 03:56 PM Reply to drunk_monk
Or maybe overall sales were way down. Fewer people pre-order than previously according to my EB buddy. He suspects it’s because the pre-order exclusives only get 6 weeks these days before they are in store, people are wise to it. Furthermore, games like No Man’s Sky, Duke Nukem, Aliens Ressurection have made pre-orders less desirable.

On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 1:12 AM
People are celebrating, i see they didn't read "they will return"

On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 1:13 AM
17 November 2017, 03:56 PM Reply to drunk_monk
Or maybe they were scared Disney doesn't want to advertise gambling to kids.

Posted by Ron
On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 5:25 PM
18 November 2017, 01:12 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
People are celebrating, i see they didn't read "they will return"
"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the StarWarsBattlefront, are walking into a trap, as is your Internet Consumer fleet. It was I who allowed the Internet to know the location of the disabling of the Microtransactions. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band of memers. An entire legion of my Pay2Win Whales awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the Pay2Win microtransactions will be quite operational when your friends arrive" - Emperor pAlpatine

Posted by MonkeyMan
On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 5:30 PM
The cancelled pre orders did the job by the sounds. Finally the message about microtransactions is getting through

Posted by Dvst8u
On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 6:28 PM
18 November 2017, 05:30 PM Reply to MonkeyMan
hopefully it doesnt just stop here and other developers take note , even if its just temp for EA in this case, the point i feel has been made.

Posted by skaddellis
On Sunday 19 Nov 2017 12:24 PM
Please don't buy this game until January. They will let people purchase this game as a Christmas present, Then once they have all the Christmas sales gone through they will put microtransactions back in. Its going to happen 100%

Posted by kniteowl
On Sunday 19 Nov 2017 5:26 PM
17 November 2017, 10:08 PM Reply to captain X nz

Hahaha I can’t believe the site censors the word succ*mb because of the word c u m...

Posted by captain X nz
On Sunday 19 Nov 2017 6:18 PM
19 November 2017, 05:26 PM Reply to kniteowl
I know, right?

Was going to follow it up, but couldn't be arsed.

Posted by CloudAxel16
On Sunday 19 Nov 2017 8:09 PM
I wonder if they're just waiting for all this to blow over and launch micro-transactions when everyone's moved on.

Posted by AdamC
On Sunday 19 Nov 2017 10:08 PM
19 November 2017, 08:09 PM Reply to CloudAxel16
Thats what I think is going to happen, but damn I want to be wrong!

Posted by Meanvision
On Friday 24 Nov 2017 4:16 PM
Prob battlefront 2 is the only game I can think of that I was looking forward to buying then changed my mind, ended up getting AC origins in the black Friday sale instead an haven't been disappointed "yet"