The Weekend Chat: Have You Ever Sworn Off a Game?

Star Wars Battlefront II launched this week, and pockets of the internet were not happy. Be it the hubbub around microtransactions, pivoting on the progression, to having the most downvoted post on Reddit, EA and DICE’s latest sci-fi shooter has found itself in the middle of a very unflattering spotlight.

Reactions and comments have run the gamut, from statements like “just vote with your wallet,” to some denouncing the publisher’s products all together. Which raises an interesting question:

Have you ever sworn off a game or series entirely?

Was it because of the publisher’s practices? Or a change in direction? Or something more personal? Let us know in the comments below!

On Friday 17 Nov 2017 3:59 PM
I've never sworn off a game or series before.

The closest that has happened is I decided to buy at launch, and then by the time I felt justified in buying I didn't care/had plenty of other good stuff to play.

So the same result, different route.

I may never play Shadow of War for this reason. Didn't want to buy at launch to vote with my wallet, by the time its at a price I will pay, I may have enough other stuff to play.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 4:50 PM
Call of Duty
Assassins Creed
Fifa

Those three come to mind.

Posted by Ron
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 5:32 PM
Yes, I took the day off for bf2 today, but didn't buy it and wont till they remove that stupid sh*t. I'm concerned about the actual change they'll make tbh.

Posted by hitokirix
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 7:55 PM
Call of Duty
Assassins Creed
Battlefield

Pretty much anything that's annualized to hell these days I prefer single player games and the odd multiplayer game where I can just jump in and play and not worry about being level 20 having to invest a huge amount of time i'm 35 and not interested in games as a service I actually find it sad this is the state of gaming these days, I find more enjoyment in indie gaming than triple a title these days

Posted by Outlaw213
On Friday 17 Nov 2017 10:10 PM
17 November 2017, 07:55 PM Reply to hitokirix
Call of Duty
Assassins Creed
Battlefield

Battlefield isn't annual though.

Posted by cortez72
On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 12:44 AM
Swore I’d not buy Star Wars after the last title fractured the community. Then the loot boxes sealed it for me.

Refused to buy Shadow of Mordough, sake reason as Monk.

But if I’m honest I swore off some whole publishers. My long standing frustration with my once loved Capcom. Nothing from Activision going forward. Looks like I’ve got to avoid the 2K series. Growing concerns for Bethesda and Take Two as well.

And that’s hard, Skyrim and GTA V are my favourite games of all time. But the thing is, I can and HAVE kept playing those two titles weekly!

On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 1:11 AM
Any EA Game
Most of Ubisofts games
every ass creed definitely.
Cods,

huh i see a pattern here.

Posted by ActualTats
On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 8:38 AM
Swore of horror games. I just find alot of them too intense and just don't get much enjoyment out of them.

Posted by tnt2014nz
On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 10:12 AM
Yeah, I got really disenchanted with the GT franchise, when GT 4 changed up the way it responded when you hit the barriers (I am not the world's cleanest driver!). The car used to pretty much stop dead when I hit them. It just made the game frustrating, as I tried to clean up my lines, but when I was in full race mode, one mistake costs me every time! Haven't been back to it since.

Posted by Rapidity
On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 2:32 PM
The following list is every game, I can currently think of, that I've been tempted to buy over the past few years, but haven't due to one controversy or another and instead deciding to make a personal stand. Even though I realise it will have little to no affect.

Watch Dogs, Watch Dogs 2
For Honour
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Every Assassins Creed (except Origins because I love Ancient Egypt)
Far Cry 4, Primal and probably 5
Mass Effect: Andromeda (Consider that 1-3 are my favourite games of all time)
Star Wars: Battlefront and now STBF2
Need for Speed and now Need for Speed: Payback
Middle-earth: Shadow of War
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
Call of Duty series

Posted by cortez72
On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 3:02 PM
18 November 2017, 02:32 PM Reply to Rapidity

Watch Dogs, Watch Dogs 2
For Honour
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Every Assassins Creed (except Origins because I love Ancient Egypt)
Far Cry 4, Primal and probably 5
Mass Effect: Andromeda (Consider that 1-3 are my favourite games of all time)
Star Wars: Battlefront and now STBF2
Need for Speed and now Need for Speed: Payback
Middle-earth: Shadow of War
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
Call of Duty series
Solid list. I forgot about Watch Dog’s.

And ActualTats, hear you on the horror front. I’ve played a fair few, but they can be stressful instead of fun.

Posted by kiwiatlarge
On Saturday 18 Nov 2017 7:41 PM
Sworn off a series completely? Not really.. Can't say it's ever happened..

But each new Assassins Creed game I play gets less and less play time, since the sequel.

AC2 - platinum trophy. Loved the game to death.
ACB - ok, lets be fair. I didn't dislike it at all. I just never got around to completing the platinum trophy requirements
ACR - now it starts to slow down for me, and a hard drive failure and lack of backups a month after getting the game killed my enthusiasm to restart from scratch, and even finish the story.
AC3 - wanted to love it. The free roaming, hunting and gathering worked for me in Red Dead Redemption. Just distracted me and bogged the progress here. Again, never finished the story
ACU - well, I got the prologue mission started...

As interesting as Egypt is, I'm not sure the direction of the new game works for my reduced gaming hours the last couple of years. I loved Horizon Zero Dawn, but it took me over six months to finish the story, at which point I had bugger all idea what was going on.. Unless it has Rockstar attached to it, having an open world, adventure rpg or not, doesn't help me get over the finish line usually..

You could draw similar parallels with Need For Speed, but in fairness Rivals did get a lot of time from me as an early PS4 racer, and the newer Most Wanted did get a lot of time from me on the Vita. I probably would have played it a lot if I had the better PS3 controls..

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Sunday 19 Nov 2017 12:32 AM
Haven't played a Call of Duty game since before Ghosts came out....
Liked the first few Assassins Creed games got to Black Flag liked it but couldn't get to finishing it, not played any since....
Not sure I could play another Borderlands title after the Aussie Pre-Sequel.

Probably worst for me though is Dead Island....loved it played it for a long time levelled up a lot....started a mission that required the vehicle...I didn't realise that and ran off got too far away from base it says go back get the vehicle then gives me 10 secs to do it.....I was probably about 2o seconds away....timer runs out I die and respawn at another checkpoint with 10 seconds to get back to the mission start point....I tried everything but couldn't get back. Could restart from start of chapter with a generic respawn of my character but I'd be about 10-15 levels down......that was the end of Dead Island.

Posted by CoffeeAddict
On Sunday 19 Nov 2017 12:34 PM
Gotta say i tend to avoid incredibly long or MMO games more due to time contraints. Like the Witcher 3. That said I may go back on this for Zelda BOW......

Posted by czk51
On Monday 20 Nov 2017 8:23 AM
Closest to swearing off a game would be DiRT 4. I wanted so much to love the game but the tracks (all provided by an in game generator) were so repetitive and bland. I had a day off work and dedicated a few hours to doing the monthly event which was 12 races. By the end I felt physically (no exaggeration, I just felt like running away)repulsed by the game and put it up on trademe.

Posted by birdman
On Monday 20 Nov 2017 1:04 PM
Call of Duty - the last one I touched more than an hour of was Black Ops 1..
Assassin's Creed - stopped playing after 2, keen to try Origins though strangely.
FIFA/NBA2K.. - have tried multiple times to get into these series but just can't.