Microsoft Kills the Kinect

Microsoft Kills the Kinect

It’s official: the Kinect is dead. Ahead of their earnings report later this week, Microsoft announced that they have put an end to manufacturing the motion-sensing camera.

In an interview with Fast Company, Devices Marketing GM Matthew Lapsen said that support for the device will continue. It’s currently unclear if developer tools will see further support.

Microsoft’s decision here is unsurprising. The device – which saw its first iteration on the Xbox 360 in 2010 – saw criticism from fans and press alike, due to its inaccurate motion and voice tracking.

In 2013 the company bundled a newer version with each Xbox One sold, forcing them to sell the system at an inflated price over the competing PS4. 2014 saw Microsoft pivot, removing the camera from all boxes and reducing the Xbox One’s price – all but officially distancing themselves from the hardware.

Did you get much mileage out of your Kinect? Let us know in the comments below!

Source: Kotaku

Posted by kniteowl
On Thursday 26 Oct 2017 8:38 AM
This is quite sad actually... Dance Central was pretty fun as a party game / exercise tool... and Disney’s Fantasia was a pretty cool rhythm game too

In fact when I upgrade from my current XB1 I plan to keep the Kinect with me... just so it’s there... too bad that Kinect adapter for XB1S and XB1X is another $65

Posted by 163Battery
On Thursday 26 Oct 2017 8:44 AM
Did not use our a lot but my daughter and I love playing Dance Central together. So what happens when I want to record something I just did. Saying 'Xbox, record that'. How does that work without the Kinect?

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Thursday 26 Oct 2017 9:25 AM
I thought it died a while ago, but I guess it's official now. To be honest, it had better tracking than the PS Eye, and the kids loved playing some of the games on there.

@163Battery - I believe they are only stopping the manufacturing of the devices, so they should still work as normal. Unless they roll out a patch to cease support.

Posted by LukeB
On Thursday 26 Oct 2017 11:10 AM
I'm disappointed in how the Kinect ended up, as I really enjoyed several of it's experiences (namely Xbox Fitness, Disney's Fantasia: Music Evolved, and D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die), but hopefully the technology can be re-purposed to make MS' augmented and virtual reality voice recognition, spacial awareness, and object tracking tech even better. Here's to the future!

"Failure is the foundation of success, and the means by which it is achieved." - Lao Tzu

On Thursday 26 Oct 2017 12:49 PM
I sort of wonder how much effort and $$$ MS put into making it better with R&D and hardware/software improvements. Tech changes alot over the course of 5-7 years so would have thought it would be amazing tech by this stage but personally feel they've just let it slowly die. They obviously tried hard to push it with the XBO release so maybe they just realised its too hard to push sh*t uphill and rather move funding elsewhere.

Posted by Gadgetgamers
On Thursday 26 Oct 2017 1:09 PM
Oh no, this is not good, mind you I haven't used mine in a long time.

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Thursday 26 Oct 2017 2:52 PM
26 October 2017, 08:38 AM Reply to kniteowl

You used to be able to get the adapter for free I'm not sure how long that lasted & to be honest it was a huge piece of add on for what was already a large add on.

I have to wonder how this will impact on long term franchises like Just Dance which is about to release (or just has) their 2018 version.

Posted by brettz0r
On Thursday 26 Oct 2017 3:59 PM
About time... that was an awesome piece of tech but wasn’t really relevant when it came to mass market games

Posted by captain X nz
On Thursday 26 Oct 2017 5:55 PM
...but, but, what about Milo?

Posted by ironfist92
On Thursday 26 Oct 2017 5:56 PM
26 October 2017, 05:55 PM Reply to captain X nz
...but, but, what about Milo?
Still tastes pretty good but idk what relevance it has to Xbox?

Posted by ModifiedSoul
On Friday 27 Oct 2017 6:10 AM
still use mine, only for the on, off, volume, convenience, it is/was a nice extra, nice to have something a little different other than the same old same old

Posted by jamesjiao
On Friday 27 Oct 2017 11:41 AM
I stopped using mine after they killed Xbox Fitness. Converted to PS ever since.

Posted by maxnaughty
On Friday 27 Oct 2017 6:16 PM
Shame, I love all our Kinect games on both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One...

Posted by SteveMacNZ