PewDiePie Issues Apology After Using Racial Slur

PewDiePie Issues Apology After Using Racial Slur

Popular YouTuber Felix “PewDiePie” Kjellberg has posted an apology video, following a recent livestream where he used a racial slur.

“I’m disappointed in myself because it seems like I’ve learned nothing from all these past controversies,” Kjellberg said. “It’s not like I think I can say or do whatever I want and get away with it, that’s not it at all — I’m just an idiot. But that doesn’t make what I said or how I said it OK. I’m really sorry if I offended, hurt or disappointed anyone with all of this. Being in the position I am, I should know better.

“I can’t keep messing up like this.”

This isn’t the first time Kjellberg has been at the centre of controversy. YouTube and Disney cut ties with him after a series of anti-Semitic videos appeared online, although he insisted they were meant to be absurdist in nature. Following the Charlottesville white supremacist and neo-nazi rally, he published another video saying he wanted “nothing to do with these people.”

“If for some reasons Nazis think it’s great that I’m making these jokes, I don’t want to give them that benefit,” Kjellberg said at the time. “So I’m going to stop doing it. Nazi memes, they’re not even that funny anymore. It’s sort of a dead meme. So just to make it clear, no more.

“It’s not me censoring myself, it’s more like I don’t want to be part of this.”

PewDiePie has one of the largest following on YouTube, with 57 million subscribers. His videos routinely achieve over 1 million views each.

Source: Polygon

On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 9:30 AM
Did Toner finish researching DMCA laws?

Posted by Xaphriel
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 10:03 AM
Jesus, he's admitting he's learned nothing and he's STILL going to get away with it isn't he?

This is sending a message to the entire industry that we condone hate speech as long as they apologise later. He hasn't changed, He won't change. And it's time we finally put the f***ing foot down on this bullsh*t. His audience are largely children. Children who think it's funny to emulate these 'personalities'. This will get worse unless we stop it now.

He and his kind are a disease, and the way to treat a disease is to treat it, not pretend it didn't happen because it halfheartedly said sorry after massive public pressure (which also revealed an ALARMING number of apologists and told other racists to come on out of the woodwork guys b/c the water's fine).

Don't forgive this.

On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 10:15 AM
13 September 2017, 10:03 AM Reply to Xaphriel

Don't forgive this.
The problem is he has such a stupidly big supporter base.

If 1% of his subscribers support him vocally, that's still 572k voices. I suspect he's too but to fall at this point because that has to be a wide spread of demographics.

Posted by AdamC
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 10:18 AM
13 September 2017, 10:03 AM Reply to Xaphriel

Don't forgive this.
What did you want to happen?

Posted by Xaphriel
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 10:35 AM
13 September 2017, 10:18 AM Reply to AdamC
What did you want to happen?
Oh nah, like the apology is the only even halfway decent thing to do. I just don't want the rest of us to fall for it.

Posted by Coddfish
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 11:16 AM
13 September 2017, 10:18 AM Reply to AdamC
What did you want to happen?
An apology is only worth something if its followed by an effort to change.
We'll see if he actually does learn something this time, but given past incidents that he apologised for, I'm not holding my breath.

(Also, "I'm sorry if I offended" is a crappy apology that puts the onus on other people's reactions, not on the thing that he did.)

Posted by AdamC
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 11:28 AM
13 September 2017, 10:35 AM Reply to Xaphriel
Ah ya fair enough. I agree that it's just words, but I also don't see anything else that could have really come from it all.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 11:59 AM
13 September 2017, 11:16 AM Reply to Coddfish
An apology is only worth something if its followed by an effort to change.

I really hope he does learn from this.

But yeah, that's not a great apology and the bit about Nazi memes not even being funny anymore is a bit of an indication about what he thinks is important. And its not people, its laughs.

Posted by Locky
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 12:15 PM
-20 points for terrible racial slur. +1 point for not making out with his dog at the start of his apology video

Posted by toner
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 12:38 PM
13 September 2017, 09:30 AM Reply to drunk_monk
Did Toner finish researching DMCA laws?
sh*t, you called me out on it... The concensus seems to be that CS are within the legal realms to withdraw their work using DMCA. So if it did end up going to court, then CS will come away successful.

Does it set a horrible precedent with devs pulling their work because they don't agree with the YTer? Maybe. But perhaps the more telling question people should have is, instead of copyright law, why are people out there defending him?

So with regard to the apology, he showed sincerity and didn't deflect, and I respect him for that. Now we just have to see how he follows through. I have hope though.

And regarding yesterday's post thread, have those that had excused his behaviour by saying "it's just a word" even done the same thing in public? Because he did it in a public venue.

Don't take slurs like that as "just a word". As a minority who has had Asian slurs hurled at me for decades, it's not "just a word" - it sure as hell wasn't received as just a word, but words of hate and vitriol.

Posted by Buckchoi
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 12:47 PM
Stop making stupid people famous.

On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 12:51 PM
13 September 2017, 12:38 PM Reply to toner

Ha Couldn't help myself sorry.

Some of the stuff I have seen basically says that lets plays likely aren't covered under fair use, and therefore rely on the publishers discretion.

Critiques on the other hand are covered under fair use, e.g. reviews, int he context of that and not just displaying the game.

The problem is that it sounds like it is far to expensive for most critics that aren't working for a major company to challenge DMCA's in court and it is a legal defense, which means it needs to go to court to be upheld.

So the very real fear still exists that a major publisher can DMCA a bunch of videos and likely have them upheld because creators cant afford to go to court, which is utter sh*t. So a DMCA of a video not about the same video where an issue exists still sits in the ethical grey area of should you be allowed to DMCA videos for reasons not relating to that video.

Posted by Bank
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 1:14 PM
Yo NZG has helped me confirm I'm a raging closet racist.
Honestly feels weird man. Hope it's alright that I'm literally amongst all comments.

On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 2:47 PM
13 September 2017, 10:03 AM Reply to Xaphriel

Don't forgive this.
oh don't you know, famous people get away with everything.

On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 2:48 PM
13 September 2017, 12:47 PM Reply to Buckchoi
Stop making stupid people famous.
Well kids are the majority of his fanbase.... make kids not stupid?

On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 2:56 PM
Youtube is really in the sh*tter.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 4:58 PM
13 September 2017, 10:15 AM Reply to drunk_monk
The problem is he has such a stupidly big supporter base.

A stupidly large supporter base that is likely to be largely white and young and probably haven't been taught yet that words can hurt people and are probably sitting their wondering why a word is making so many people angry.

On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 5:56 PM
13 September 2017, 04:58 PM Reply to ChieftaiNZ
Well yeah people are just getting angry and screeching instead of explaining why they are angry.

Posted by toner

A
RACIAL
SLUR. THE WORD EXISTS TO BE A RACIAL SLUR
WHAT PART OF THAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND

On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 6:48 PM
13 September 2017, 05:56 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
They are angry because an Individual did something bad, that people want stampwdbout of society, again.

This individual has a large amount of influence over young minds and this sh*t shouldn't infect another generation.

People are angry that the inexcusable is being excused by fans.

People have already explained this to you in this and another thread. It's hard to comprehend others views of you don't read them.

Posted by ptys
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 8:15 PM
Its a sincere apology, lets hope it doesn't happen again.

Posted by Inferis
On Thursday 14 Sep 2017 3:10 AM
The guy is an overpaid child. Meh.

Posted by guido
On Thursday 14 Sep 2017 9:20 AM
Nazi 'jokes', paying for the production and broadcasting of the message 'kill all jews', angrily shouting the n word. I think that's 3 strikes! He should be dropped from his broadcasting platform. Any mainstream broadcaster would have dropped him at the first instance, the second would be considered a criminal offence (paying for and broadcasting an incitement to genocide) and he wouldn't have gotten to the 3rd. People think because he's a zany youtube guy he shouldn't be held accountable for his actions to the same level as everyone else would be. And sadly it looks like that is the case.....

On Thursday 14 Sep 2017 11:32 AM
13 September 2017, 06:40 PM Reply to ChieftaiNZ
BECAUSE
HE
USED
A
RACIAL
SLUR. THE WORD EXISTS TO BE A RACIAL SLUR
WHAT PART OF THAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND
I didn't mean explain it to me, stop yelling. xD

On Thursday 14 Sep 2017 11:33 AM
13 September 2017, 06:48 PM Reply to drunk_monk

People are angry that the inexcusable is being excused by fans.

Why thank you for calmly explaining :D

Posted by Paorio
On Thursday 14 Sep 2017 1:27 PM
14 September 2017, 11:33 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Why thank you for calmly explaining :D
honestly, I think you making jokes on pages about people dying is worse than this but opinions

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Thursday 14 Sep 2017 10:51 PM
I think the fact that he still is saying and doing things like this actually shows the kind of person he is....lets get real about it if you are famous you're often going to get away with these sorts of things....it's a sad reality of the world we live in.

Posted by Wertbag
On Friday 15 Sep 2017 7:23 PM
I think it is funny to hear that he has 54 million subs and yet his videos get 1 million views. Really highlights the disconnect between subscribing and actually caring what someone says.

On Sunday 17 Sep 2017 10:52 AM
15 September 2017, 07:23 PM Reply to Wertbag
or that he just has a varying amount of content and most watch his livestreams?