PewDiePie Uses Racial Slur During PUBG Stream, Firewatch Dev Plans DMCA Takedowns

Felix “PewDiePie” Kjellberg has stirred up controversy again. During a recent PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds stream, the popular YouTuber used a racial slur (the n-word) when fighting another player.

You can watch the scene below, at the 34 second mark. Content warning: it features strong, derogatory language.

"What a f***ing n*****! Geez! Oh my god! What the f***? Sorry, but what the f***?”, said Kjellberg. “I don't mean that in a bad [way].”

This isn’t the first time Kjellberg has been in the spotlight. Disney and YouTube cut ties with the personality earlier this year, following a series of anti-Semitic videos. One scene featured a pair of Indian men holding a sign reading “death to all Jews.” Kjellberg hired them as part of online service Fiverr, defending it as comedic, highlighting “how crazy the modern world is.”

Kjellberg has a massive audience and online presence. As of reporting, he has 57 million subscribers on YouTube, with each video racking up over 1 million views. He’s also the wealthiest YouTuber in the world.

Sean Vanaman of Campo Santo – better known for Firewatch – said the studio would be filing DMCA takedowns for any of their content appearing on Kjellberg’s channel. This would also stop him from streaming future Campo Santo games.

Kjellberg published a video for Firewatch in the past, which had 5.7 million views. It's currently unavailable.

Source: Eurogamer, Game Informer

Posted by Xaphriel
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 1:59 PM
Can we seriously, as an industry and a culture, just disavow little f***s like this? Stop supporting them. Stop encouraging them. There should be no place in gaming where racism and xenophobia should be allowed to thrive.

Seriously f*** this guy..

Posted by Ryzlin
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 2:40 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I find it very interesting that Vanaman is doing that. It'll be interesting to see how that leads on in the future. While I totally respect that he doesn't want his work associated with someone who has shown time and time again to be racist, I can see how others might abuse that ability. Say something negative about a game? Video gets DMCA'd.

Posted by toner
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 2:55 PM
11 September 2017, 02:40 PM Reply to Ryzlin
Hopefully common sense will prevail and won't lead to the latter. Mind you, PDP's fans are defending him, so crazier things have happened.

Posted by toner
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 2:58 PM
The best thing PewDiePie fans can do right now is to not defend him. Call him out and ask for an apology, and not as a passing "sorry". If you are a fan of his and want him to make more content, make him address it and realise how f**ked up it was, and hopefully he can learn something from it.

Posted by AdamC
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 3:02 PM
Pewdypi is the new hulk hogan?

Posted by Dvst8u
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 3:07 PM
Like pewdiepie but can't defend him here. Unsubscribe.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 3:40 PM
How does he have 50 million subscribers when there are only 10 million people in the world!?

No but really, I've never been a fan of his stuff even before all this drama.

Stop making stupid people famous / rich.

Posted by Paorio
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 3:44 PM
Honestly, I don't consider this racism, he's an idiot for not realising he shouldn't say these things in front of a bunch of people, but come on, people say anything in rage and that word happens to be in his rage vocab.

Posted by Coddfish
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 4:02 PM
11 September 2017, 03:44 PM Reply to Paorio
the fact that it's in his rage vocab implies racism

On Monday 11 Sep 2017 4:16 PM
11 September 2017, 04:02 PM Reply to Coddfish
the fact that it's in his rage vocab implies racism
I get where Paorio is coming from. The word is racist, and at a bare minimum he is insensitive to race issues/a total idiot for being ignorant to these issues.

But no matter what its far from the first time he has had a brush with an issue like this. People need to stop defending him and he needs to pull his head out of his ass. It's not like that word is "controversial". We all know why we aren't allowed to say it, but the kids like him so he will keep being popular at a guess.

Posted by Paorio
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 4:16 PM
11 September 2017, 04:02 PM Reply to Coddfish
the fact that it's in his rage vocab implies racism
Yeah but what actions has he taken that imply racism?

Posted by Paorio
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 4:18 PM
11 September 2017, 04:16 PM Reply to drunk_monk

I agree, he should probably realise how much of a stir he can create with a word

Posted by guido
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 4:20 PM
11 September 2017, 02:40 PM Reply to Ryzlin
It's my understanding that the entire game/playthrough was uploaded so this case should be pretty clear cut. They said they're normally cool with streamers (they sent out 3000 keys to streamers) but if they want you to take a video of their game down it's their right to do so using the legal tools available. Fair use law doesn't protect full playthroughs. In fact I don't think it protects any percent of playthrough unless you're adding meaningful commentary or critique and are using the minimum amount of content required to get your point across which covers news, reviews, critical analysis etc.

Posted by AdamC
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 4:28 PM
11 September 2017, 04:20 PM Reply to guido
The fact that they send keys to streamers to stream the game though should remove any right to take the game down surely?

Posted by toner
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 4:46 PM
11 September 2017, 04:16 PM Reply to Paorio
Yeah but what actions has he taken that imply racism?
His action was calling someone a n****r.

Rage or not, this is not a word that you should have in your vernacular. Don't use the "heat of the moment" excuse to give him that pass. It's bullsh*t.

I almost threw my controller yesterday playing OW comp, but not once did I use slurs, because there's no need for me to even consider using that word.

Posted by guido
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 4:56 PM
11 September 2017, 04:28 PM Reply to AdamC
I am not a lawyer but I doubt they give up control of their property that easily? For starters there will be "Terms and Conditions" you had to accept before using the key.

On Monday 11 Sep 2017 4:59 PM
Meh, im not a fan of him, but words are only as powerful as you yourself make them.

How is this slip of the tongue even racism? to me it's not.
but im just some *whitey* and you cant be racist against white people apparently.

On Monday 11 Sep 2017 5:00 PM
11 September 2017, 04:46 PM Reply to toner
His action was calling someone a n****r.

Was he using an er or an A because A is allowed apparently.

On Monday 11 Sep 2017 5:04 PM
11 September 2017, 01:59 PM Reply to Xaphriel

Seriously f*** this guy..
so your solution is just to censor everybody? because that's the only way its going to stop.
and that would be a rather boring world.

Posted by toner
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 5:09 PM
11 September 2017, 05:00 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Was he using an er or an A because A is allowed apparently.
I think if you have 53 million followers, most of which are at the ages of influence, you shouldn't use it. Period.

Defending him (not saying you are) gives more credence to use it.

As a minority, I don't care if you use racial slurs as a joke or not, it's stupid racist.

And a slip of the tongue is not an acceptable excuse.

Posted by toner
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 5:10 PM
11 September 2017, 05:04 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
and that would be a rather boring world.
A solution would be to educate him, whilst not giving him any leeway.

On Monday 11 Sep 2017 5:16 PM
11 September 2017, 05:10 PM Reply to toner
A solution would be to educate him, whilst not giving him any leeway.
What i want to know more, is the dev just going for free advertisement?
because it seems to me that it's unrelated to him.

On Monday 11 Sep 2017 5:23 PM
11 September 2017, 05:16 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
What i want to know more, is the dev just going for free advertisement?
because it seems to me that it's unrelated to him.
because if the dev didnt want racist people playing his game or uploading it to youtube, he wouldn't release the game,
meh smells like free advertisements.

On Monday 11 Sep 2017 5:26 PM
11 September 2017, 05:10 PM Reply to toner
A solution would be to educate him, whilst not giving him any leeway.
Or he should censor himself as society has a handful of absolute no no' s and that's one of them.

After the Nazi sh*tstorm and his rec3by addition he didn't know Nazis were still a thing, he should have quickly researched the big ones as this is one of em.

Though the more I think about it the more I wonder about Ryzlins thoughts as the videos being DMCAd aren't the offending videos right? DMCA isn't a tool to stop people you don't like from making videos about your games.

Can a sexist DMCA a feminists video just because they don't want them making videos? I hope not.

On Monday 11 Sep 2017 5:28 PM
11 September 2017, 05:26 PM Reply to drunk_monk

The rules are clear that DMCA is illegal. but it seems anybody can sh*t out a DMCA without much consequence.

Posted by toner
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 5:31 PM
11 September 2017, 05:23 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
meh smells like free advertisements.
....... what?

The dev you were referring to, I'm assuming is Campo Santo? Steve Vanaman tweeted to refuse PDP broadcast his games, current and future, because he's taking a stand for human decency.

If all you're thinking about from his tweet is money, I hate to break it to you: devs don't always make games for money, a lot of times it is about passion.

On Monday 11 Sep 2017 5:39 PM
11 September 2017, 05:31 PM Reply to toner
....... what?

Well if that's the case them im glad, but he put out the dmca extremely fast.
the devs gave full permission to everyone to use firewatch gameplay and making money off it.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 6:23 PM
A classic example of what NOT to do when already being on the firing line for being a racist/nazi/white supremist.

Posted by ptys
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 6:28 PM
Wow, would have thought he learned from the last time. Seems like a bit of self implosion, maybe too much fame and fortune..

Posted by toner
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 6:34 PM
11 September 2017, 05:39 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Well if that's the case them im glad, but he put out the dmca extremely fast.
I'm still reading about DMCA rights, but I'd imagine I would have finished reading copyright and intellectual law across the world before PewDiePie even makes a peep, let alone apologise.

And to be honest, I'm not as concerned about the legal ramifications of Vanaman's tweet, as I am about a person openly using racial slurs and people defending him.

On Monday 11 Sep 2017 6:45 PM
11 September 2017, 06:34 PM Reply to toner

Posted by emetic
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 10:56 PM
It would be nice if the devs got up and banned at everyone who used a bad word over the mic chat in their games.
But they actually don't care, they just make a fuss over the high profile ones.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 11:53 PM
11 September 2017, 05:26 PM Reply to drunk_monk

The DMCA'd video wasn't the offending one. Fire watch and PUBG respectively. But if he can do that, what's to stop, say Ubisoft trying to remove all videos of game glitches, or EA trying to remove all negative video reviews of games?

Posted by Ryzlin
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 11:56 PM
11 September 2017, 06:34 PM Reply to toner

Oh, that is a nasty burn you just inflicted there.

I'm concerned with both tbh. The legal precedence it sets, and the fact that PDP has a large, young audience and that they might be influenced by him. He is a public figure, and he needs to act like it. It disturbs me greatly that people defend him

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 7:55 AM
11 September 2017, 11:56 PM Reply to Ryzlin
Oh, that is a nasty burn you just inflicted there.

i don't defend him but i defend his freedom to accidentally say a word when angry.

Posted by AdamC
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 8:37 AM
12 September 2017, 07:55 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
While I agree with the sentiment I think it is a little different in this situation due to the last anti Jew crap he pulled.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 8:52 AM
12 September 2017, 07:55 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
So it's okay to be racist if you're angry? Frankly put, that word shouldn't be in his lexicon. He's bilingual, and I'm sure he could cone up with some other choice cuss words. It's fine to say 'freedom of speech' and all that, but freedom of speech doesn't mean hate speech and that's what it was. Are you sure you're just not upset that someone was censored?

But sure, let's just say it was a heat of the moment slip up, he can say what he wants, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have to deal with the consequences, and that's what this back lash is. Don't say he has a right to hate speech. He doesn't. No one does and that's why there's backlash for it.

Posted by jmduknz
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 9:11 AM
Praise to Campo-santo. He called out unacceptable language and took a stand. By pulling streams of his own games he limits his exposure to Pew's viewers but removes a tacit endorsement by letting it continue.

With social media being what it is I would hope a DMCA for negative press/review would be called out for what it is.

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 9:12 AM
12 September 2017, 08:52 AM Reply to Ryzlin

Meh, he will probably ignore it and it will go away.
hes in the middle of a game in an intense spot and you want him to select his cuss words? that's how you suck at games.

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 9:14 AM
12 September 2017, 09:11 AM Reply to jmduknz

Oh yeah the games reviews are already dropping, pissing off the fans of one of the biggest people on the internet is really stupid.

but pissing off people who hate sh*tty dev practices, well that's not a good move either.

Posted by AdamC
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 9:28 AM
sh*t like this could just be for publicity just look at all the back n forth it creates.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 9:37 AM
12 September 2017, 09:12 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Meh, he will probably ignore it and it will go away.
And you completely missed the point and decided to respond to one small part of my comment.

Besides, he can afford to suck at games. He's not a pro, he's a youtuber.

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 9:47 AM
12 September 2017, 09:37 AM Reply to Ryzlin

Besides, he can afford to suck at games. He's not a pro, he's a youtuber.
If he started sucking after being good he would lose a lot of subs.

Posted by guido
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 10:08 AM
Ryzlin if I could upvote you more I would!! Forever the voice of reason! But I wouldn't be worried at all about this setting any kind of bad precedent as the type of content you mention (Ubisoft glitch videos, negative reviews etc) are exactly what is protected as fair use for being A) a critique of a product and B) using only the exact amount of footage required to illustrate the problems/your opinion of the product.

Posted by Bank
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 10:28 AM
Man, I love Pewdiepie.
Hope he gets through this and learns from it, again. And again.

Posted by predatorhunter
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 10:45 AM
He probably did it to remain in the spotlight.

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 11:01 AM
12 September 2017, 09:47 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
If he started sucking after being good he would lose a lot of subs.
If racially insensitive words are that ingrained in his mindset, that he would have to become bad at a game to not say it then maybe Coddfish is right and he is a racist.

If it genuinely takes that much of your mind power to not say the N word then that says something about his mindset doesn't it?

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 11:22 AM
12 September 2017, 11:01 AM Reply to drunk_monk

or maybe he doesn't get triggered like an american sjw.

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 11:31 AM
12 September 2017, 11:22 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
or maybe he doesn't get triggered like an american sjw.
There is a big difference between being an over the top SJW and letting people be offensive just because.

That word carries a lot of weight and we all know its intensely offensive to a large number of people. If you don't care about how many people you hurt you aren't just an anti-SJW, you're an a***ole. And it's not a big deal, its not a grey area, just don't use that word and care about how your actions can hurt people.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 1:48 PM
12 September 2017, 10:08 AM Reply to guido
Thanks man, its always nice to be appreciated!

But yeah, you do have a point. Even if footage was banned (super hyperthetical situation there), stock images used for media and narration are still there. I guess for all intense and purposes, PDP was fired as a spokesperson for Firewatch.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 1:53 PM
12 September 2017, 11:31 AM Reply to drunk_monk

I'm glad you responded there because I have no idea what I'd be saying. I mean, his response doesn't make any sense in the conversation. At all. Its just a random aside with hot topic terms. At this point I'm just baffled about what he's trying to defend, and his arguments for it.

Posted by Goonertron
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 2:15 PM
12 September 2017, 11:22 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
or maybe he doesn't get triggered like an american sjw.
So not dropping the N bomb is a SJW thing now. It's incredible to see gamergate transitioning from "ethics in game journalism" to straight up white supremecy.

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 2:37 PM
12 September 2017, 01:53 PM Reply to Ryzlin
Giving the benefit of the doubt (not sure how deserved) I think it can be an attitude fostered by an anti-SJW mentality. Admittedly I have said things I don't completely agree with against the "SJW' or "alt-left" or "insert buzz word" mentalities in the heat of the moment. You can be pro equality but not like the over the top left attitude that a lot of media has fostered,

So I have had thoughts similar to Undeads before but I had to step back and realize the significant amount of grey in an area. Its a far rights attitude to the far left if that makes sense. Both can be too blind to the middle to see it as anything but the enemy.

So in this case there is an idea of censorship, or people being persecuted over a silly mistake. But to pull back from either side, Pewdepie has been in trouble for poor choices of words before, and there is no excuse for not knowing what this word means.

If he pulled back straight away and apologized profusely straight away, disavowing his choice of word and anyone supporting it, I may be more sympathetic. Or if it was a racially insensitive word that's not that well known, then again may be more sympathetic. But between news and pop culture, there is no excuse to not know what that word means and the hurt it can inflict in this day in age.

A common argument seems to be it is a word that has historical issues, but it is also used regularly today to spread racial hate and so is actively used to hurt people of color today, so there is no excuse for trying to justify it.

I hope that makes sense as a summary of a complex issue that even my mind struggles to grapple with sometimes. It seems like a knee-jerk reaction from the far right to the far left when this discussion is easily in the middle which is why it seems so out of place.

Or I am wrong *shrug*

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 3:56 PM
12 September 2017, 11:31 AM Reply to drunk_monk

Well i left my Negative review on firewatch for firing the DMCA in the first place,
but i guess its not really related.

Posted by Paorio
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 4:18 PM
If he said you f****** n***** go back to the fields and work that's where you belong, I would believe this is racism, but since all he said was something that could've easily been replaced by c*** or b**** then no I'm sorry but this isn't racism.

Also while you guys are so caught up about him saying n*****, you ignore the fact that he says f*** and accept that as if it's perfectly fine when compared to n*****, when in fact they're just words to spout in anger to the "kids" that watch him.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 5:21 PM
12 September 2017, 01:53 PM Reply to Ryzlin
Thats theUndeadKegacy for you.

The negative edgelord supreme master.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 5:31 PM
used a word with well known derogatory meaning and history behind it.
Uses it directed at someone in a derogatory way.
How is this okay?

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 5:51 PM
12 September 2017, 11:22 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
or maybe he doesn't get triggered like an american sjw.
There's a difference between being offended and knowing when something is wrong.

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 8:12 PM
12 September 2017, 05:31 PM Reply to ChieftaiNZ
used a word with well known derogatory meaning and history behind it.
Uses it directed at someone in a derogatory way.
How is this okay?
well known huh? well in history class they didnt really teach me the history of the word.

you can blame the education system :P

On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 9:15 PM
How are we going to get rid of racism? Stop talking about it - Morgan Freeman

Posted by guido
On Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 10:27 PM
Wow, so much racism and ignorance?! Impossible to convince people who think the n word and the f word are on the same level?!? Wow!? I'll donate some coin to the NAACP and call it a day but am glad that almost everyone here very clearly knows right from wrong!

Posted by Buckchoi
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 3:29 AM
I've never watched this guy before, and I don't think I'll start now.

On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 7:52 AM
13 September 2017, 03:29 AM Reply to Buckchoi
I've never watched this guy before, and I don't think I'll start now.
Yeah i don't know anybody who watches him, they generally say his sense of humor sucks.

Posted by emetic
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 9:21 PM
12 September 2017, 05:31 PM Reply to ChieftaiNZ
used a word with well known derogatory meaning and history behind it.
Uses it directed at someone in a derogatory way.
How is this okay?
It's not that it's ok to be racist, but to be so should be on the same level as saying f*g/gay/c*cksucker (homophobia), motherf**ker (anti-milfophile), retard (retardophobia) or any other number of swear words any of us might use which are knowingly hateful towards some sort of people. That's kind of why they're swear words: theyre offensive.
All of these terms are common in the online chat vernacular, so if anyone angey at PDP was interested in the principle they would have been campaigning for Microsoft, sony et al to ban all the people swearing in chat. But they're not; it's just something about PDP.

Posted by emetic
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 9:22 PM
13 September 2017, 03:29 AM Reply to Buckchoi
I've never watched this guy before, and I don't think I'll start now.
Yeh i watched a bit of one of his videos before i'd heard of him. It was boring.

Posted by emetic
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 9:44 PM
Just for thought, go on the nzgamer forums and search for the N word. You'll find a lot of posts but no backlash calling for the swearer to be banned by admins.

Posted by naspamspam
On Monday 9 Oct 2017 5:31 PM
Controversey, wait, did I spell that right?