The Weekend Chat: Throwing Shade(ers)

Destiny 2 launched this week. While most of those playing it were busy grinding for loot, some fans did notice a change to one of the first game’s biggest elements. Shaders – items which apply colours and patterns on gear – are now consumable, and must be applied to each piece of equipment individually. Previously, once you had gained a shader you could apply it to your entire outfit whenever you wanted.

On the outset this seems like a small change, but as it turns out, players can buy – with real-world money – loot-boxes that contain shaders. Destiny 2 director Luke Smith took to Twitter to assure fans that they could earn those shaders freely in the end-game, and that they’d be an “ongoing reward for playing.”

Quite often people say they’re fine with microtransactions if they don’t factor into gameplay. While shaders don’t have a mechanical implication, it’s a unique case for Destiny; expressing yourself with your equipment is a huge factor in the game’s design.

Do you think this is acceptable?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by Paorio
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 4:04 PM
What a sh*te idea from the devs

Posted by Zolen
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 4:08 PM
Hmm that's a tough one ... I suppose its almost like having MS Paint but having to pay for Blue, but then if you continue to use it you get Blue eventually anyway. I think I personally don't care too much so long as the game plays the same.... I can live with the envy/jealousy/fomo (for a little while at least.)

Posted by ReaperCrew
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 4:21 PM
I like the idea of being able to apply a shader to individual pieces as it has often been a frustration finding the shader that gave the combination I am interested in. Therefore, I kind of understand it being a consumable item now.
Offering purchasable loot boxes with shaders, I could understand as then you could avoid the inevitable grind to get the combination you actually wanted, so I wouldn't care if that is what they offered. However, the rumour I am hearing is that these loot boxes contain random shaders. This would mean that you may have to gamble that your money actually gets you the shader you want and if this is true I am very much against the idea.

Posted by Xaphriel
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 4:28 PM
It's a purely cosmetic microtransaction, and I'm cool with that. I won't buy any, probably, but it's not the blight that is pay-to-win.

Stink that they're suddenly consumable, but I can live with it.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 4:30 PM
Shady Bungie.

Posted by Altom905
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 4:42 PM
I don't have a problem with this, shaders have zero impact on how the game plays.
People who worry about this are spending to much time in the menus instead of playing the game

Posted by toner
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 4:57 PM
I'm in two minds about this:

On one hand, it's a cosmetic item that you'll be about to earn eventually, so it's not something you're forced to buy.

On the other hand, if it was freely available in Destiny to apply how you wanted, when you wanted, to change it to this consumable format seems a bit on the nose.

Perhaps the incentive was for something else for players to strive for, therefore increasing the lifespan of the game?

All I know is, if I had to piece together Mercy's Olympia skin bit by bit in this year's Overwatch Summer Games, I'd be p*ssed...

Posted by splineman1
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 5:19 PM
It doesn't really bother me, but I think it's a fiddly system.
I thought the previous system worked pretty well.

On Friday 8 Sep 2017 5:30 PM
8 September 2017, 04:28 PM Reply to Xaphriel

Stink that they're suddenly consumable, but I can live with it.
This.

No impact on game is best microtransactions. I remember hearing the shades had bonuses which would be sh*t of true

Posted by Jenesyde
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 6:16 PM
Sounds needlessly complicated, so yeah... classic Destiny.

On Friday 8 Sep 2017 6:16 PM
I dont really care that much about the shaders and cosmetics, but I thought it was pretty sh*t to change it to that, after what Destiny 1 had. And whats worse is Luke Smith stating they want you to grind for your favorite shader to stockpile them.... really? bro nobody wants to do that! that isnt fun! whoever thought that would be fun!

Posted by cortez72
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 9:16 PM
These days anything you skim off the top will be sold back to players.

Implementing something as trivial as player colour customisation, which used to be a creation option is now elevated to cosmetic enhancement. And it just gets worse with each year.

And people buying such items in this game just gives the next title justification. And so on it goes. And it grows. Nothing can stop this in the future except for moral conscious game studios like CD Project Red.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Friday 8 Sep 2017 9:56 PM
Does Activision publish any games where they aren't sc*mbags and try and squeeze the consumer for every cent they have?

On Friday 8 Sep 2017 11:03 PM
"im fine with micro transactions in full priced games" yeah kindly leave the gaming industry, xD

Posted by robmacd1
On Saturday 9 Sep 2017 9:36 AM
8 September 2017, 11:03 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Your kidding right? you just paid around $100ish for the game but your happy to just keep paying, and paying, and paying........and paying.................and paying...............................and paying....................................................and paying.? Soon you will have paid at least double for the game and it will probably be still incomplete, there is no logic (as a consumer) to this method

Posted by robmacd1
On Saturday 9 Sep 2017 9:49 AM
9 September 2017, 09:36 AM Reply to robmacd1
I may have miss read your post, apologies if I have, I just really hate micro transactions

Posted by AdamC
On Saturday 9 Sep 2017 9:32 PM
9 September 2017, 09:49 AM Reply to robmacd1
Yea I think he agrees with you. Telling anyone who says that to gtfo.

Posted by Paorio
On Saturday 9 Sep 2017 10:57 PM
9 September 2017, 09:32 PM Reply to AdamC
Yea I think he agrees with you. Telling anyone who says that to gtfo.
lol what a funny accident

Posted by Silvon
On Sunday 10 Sep 2017 12:35 AM
I don't like microtransactions but if they don't have an effect on gameplay I'm also not stressing that they're in there. I'm not going to buy any and I'm not missing out on anything because of that so no need for me to worry about it.

It's the whole shader system and how it works that I'm more concerned about, so I'll make up my mind about it as I play the game and figure out just how good or bad it is for my own experience.

Posted by AdamC
On Sunday 10 Sep 2017 7:17 AM
10 September 2017, 12:35 AM Reply to Silvon

I believe that they do effect gameplay though. Remember that these games are made with psychological help to get them addictive? You don't also think that the gameplay is altered to make it feel like maybe you should buy it rather than grind?
You can bet your ass the grind is bigger because of micro transactions. Just to tip you in that direction

Posted by predatorhunter
On Sunday 10 Sep 2017 11:02 AM
micro transactions in any AAA title are a stupid idea.

On Sunday 10 Sep 2017 2:05 PM
10 September 2017, 11:02 AM Reply to predatorhunter
micro transactions in any AAA title are a stupid idea.
No its a genius idea, at least from a business standpoint, stupid people keep buying this sh*t, so may as well capitalize on their stupidity.

Posted by Wozza
On Sunday 10 Sep 2017 3:16 PM
In a cheaper indie game or freeware where it helps subsidize the development cost - sure.

In a full retail game. No way. That's greedy.
Significant update DLC, extra maps, expansions ect ect, sure. Micro transactions. Just no.
Earning customizations as a reward for playing is fine, but paying to get them early is like paying someone else to beat levels for you so you can play the last level.

(Disclaimer - I may or may not be guilty of being lent peoples Goldeneye carts at school to unlock things for people.)..

Posted by ChimeraNZ
On Sunday 10 Sep 2017 6:26 PM
No doubt all it means for me is that I'm going to have a stash filled with shaders that I will never use as I'm to paranoid I'll find a better piece of loot soon enough that it would waste the item. If there was a way to reacquire said shader from an item it might be better, but I personally saw no issue with the way Destiny 1 ended up handling all of your shaders.

Posted by Silvon
On Sunday 10 Sep 2017 10:28 PM
10 September 2017, 07:17 AM Reply to AdamC
While it can have an effect on gameplay in the way you're referring to, I'd say that depends on if you interpret what's easy as what you should do. I can play the game itself and all its features without having to grind for shaders or buy them, that's just an optional extra that I can choose to partake in or not without ruining the experience of the game itself. It feels easier to buy them, but if I factor in how much time I've spent earning money to then dump it into shaders in a game? That's definitely not something I feel I should do. That will depend on the person though and is ultimately still just a choice.

Shaders are fun, they make your character look cool and are a great way to express your character but if you tell me I have to waste my time or money (which also equates to time spent earning money) on that? It's a pretty surefire way to make me not care about it. It won't affect the gameplay for me in the slightest.

Posted by ricky1981
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 7:35 AM
Hate microtransactions but publishers are going to pretty much insist on them since it's very very easy money. If they have to exist then I'm okay with them being cosmetic, works well for Overwatch and there's no requirement to purchase in order to stay competitive for PvP, raids, etc.

I won't let it ruin an otherwise fantastic game :)

Posted by czk51
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 10:04 AM
Been playing pretty consistently since launch and I've not even been tempted to spend cash on these. I have had plenty granted to me in-game anyway. I'm guessing the raid and future events will also have access to special ones without buying silver.

But I've not really seen mention of the mods which can potentially drop from these packages. These carry the chance to change your elemental or even boost the gears level. This seems at a glance way more pay 2 win and potentially filthy - though I've never really tooled around with mods (game has been quite easy so far so no need) (I say easy coz I'm lucky to have a decent team to play with - checking my privilege here!)

Posted by Mattress
On Monday 11 Sep 2017 12:39 PM
I don't like the change at all and it signals a sign of things to come. Personally, I will never drop a cent on any of these cosmetic items in Destiny 2. But having said that, I will still thoroughly enjoy the game and seem to be gaining enough shaders just by playing the game that it shouldn't become a problem.