The Weekend Chat: Your Favourite, Unappreciated Characters?

This year we’ve seen major franchise characters make a return. Link in Breath of the Wild, the eponymous blue blur in Sonic Mania, and even Nintendo’s moustachioed plumber is coming back for Super Mario Odyssey.

But what about the smaller characters, those that stand alongside the protagonist – or even oppose them? A good side characters can give meaning to a hero’s journey, or flesh out a world without the need for heavy exposition. This week, we ask you:

Who are your favourite side characters?

Maybe it’s Sander Cohen from BioShock, who perfectly embodied the decadence and down-fall of Rapture? Or the deliciously weird Homunculus from Shadow of Memories (who was, strangely enough, voiced by the same man that plays Mario). Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 25 Aug 2017 4:03 PM
Bubsy did nothing wrong.

Posted by LukeB
On Friday 25 Aug 2017 4:52 PM
Minsc and Boo from the Baldur's Gate franchise. I liked that he showed up in Neverwinter too, but it wasn't really the same... he was just a mission NPC, not a true side character... but still cool that he was there.

I've also always loved the nods to Boo in other games.... Oh, wait... UNDER-appreciated characters.... hmmmm.

I don't think Foe Hammer from Halo 1 gets nearly enough love. I can't quite remember the exact length of time but based on the 2nd Halo Novel "The Flood", the events of the first game didn't take place over the course of a few hours. Which means Foe Hammer spent weeks, possibly even a month, flying Chief all over the Halo ring under the worst conditions, sacrificed her life every time, even when the odds seemed completely against them to make sure John could get where he needs to be to try and save them all. Hell, she survived weeks against the flood, and then as things are coming to a head, they go and kill her when she's no longer "needed"... sure her death made things feel more real, but damn it, she should have survived.

Honestly, based on how hard her death hit him (based on the book), other than Kelly or Linda, Foe Hammer would be the only other real life human I'd ship John with (if he had any sort of a sex drive) :P

Posted by czk51
On Friday 25 Aug 2017 5:13 PM
Aranea Highwind from FFXV

On Friday 25 Aug 2017 6:02 PM
I was a big fan of Quistis, Selphie and Zell in FFVIII.

Sure they have their flaws but they really stuck out to me.

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 25 Aug 2017 10:10 PM
Does Raiden count from Metal Gear Solid? Kind of a main character, but really unappreciated! If not, I really like Wakka, and how he changes in FFX.

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Saturday 26 Aug 2017 1:16 AM
25 August 2017, 04:03 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn
Bubsy did nothing wrong.
He did, he went 3D!

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Saturday 26 Aug 2017 1:16 AM
Blinx, the anthropomorphic cat who works as a Time Sweeper

Posted by Ron
On Saturday 26 Aug 2017 11:19 AM
It's a meee a Luigi, number #1.

Posted by iludez
On Sunday 27 Aug 2017 12:42 PM
Jazz jackrabbit

Posted by SinuousPanic
On Sunday 27 Aug 2017 6:25 PM
25 August 2017, 04:52 PM Reply to LukeB

That moment when Foe Hammer flies up with the ship in the underground installation was brilliant.

Posted by SinuousPanic
On Sunday 27 Aug 2017 6:28 PM
Tails for me. Sonic mania reaffirmed my affection for that little yellow ball. Playing coop, collecting rings and taking on bosses with no penalty. He's pretty neat as solo play through as well.

Posted by dark_hadou1
On Sunday 27 Aug 2017 6:43 PM
25 August 2017, 06:02 PM Reply to drunk_monk
I was a big fan of Quistis, Selphie and Zell in FFVIII.

Sure they have their flaws but they really stuck out to me.
Seconding this - they really did a good job fleshing out the story and character types in this one, I even liked Seifer and his gang for all their flaws

Posted by cortez72
On Sunday 27 Aug 2017 6:56 PM
27 August 2017, 06:28 PM Reply to SinuousPanic
Tails may be the secondary character I have spent the most time with. In Sonic 3 he was brilliant, flying about the place.

Shiva from Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle 3 was awesome. I count him as a second because he wasn't available on the main roster, but he might not count because he's 'secret'.

Posted by sassydot