Paris Olympics Considers Esports for 2024 Games

Paris Olympics Considers Esports for 2024 Games

Esports could be coming to the 2024 Olympics. Paris Olympic bid committee co-president Tony Estanguet has scheduled talks with the International Olympics Committee and other esports representatives to discuss the idea.

"We have to look at it because we can't say, 'It's not us. It's not about Olympics,'" Estanguet said in an interview with the Associated Press. "The youth, yes they are interested in esport and this kind of thing. Let's look at it. Let's meet them. Let's try if we can find some bridges.”

As Compete points out, this wouldn’t be the first time esports have vied for an Olympic spot. The 2016 Rio games had an esports showcase, featuring exhibition matches. Eight international teams competed in Smite and Super Smash Bros. Wii U. The burgeoning scene is also slated to make an appearance in the 2022 Asian Games, as a medal event.

"I don't want to say 'no' from the beginning. I think it's interesting to interact with the IOC, with them, the esports family, to better understand what the process is and why it is such a success."

"There is some time to look at it, to interact, to engage," Estanguet added. "We will spend some time after (the IOC meeting in September) Lima to engage with new people and stakeholders. The IOC will have the last ... say, if they want esports on the program. Let's discuss among ourselves."

The next set of games will be the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. This gives several years to discuss the issue, before 2024’s Paris games.

Posted by Paorio
On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 9:20 AM
Esports should have their own olympics.

Posted by Bank
On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 10:30 AM
If this happens, I'd actually be... 30 years old?

I don't know how to feel about that... I'd be a washed up COMPETITIVE GAMER by then. I wanna' do Olympic level mind-games with some fools NOW.

Posted by kniteowl
On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 10:35 AM
10 August 2017, 10:30 AM Reply to Bank
If this happens, I'd actually be... 30 years old?

You could be competitive in a different kind of game that doesn't require twitch reactions tho? Like Hearthstone maybe? It still allows for mind games lol

Posted by Bank
On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 11:00 AM
10 August 2017, 10:35 AM Reply to kniteowl
It's ok, was just being tongue in cheek involving colloquial jokes. Age doesn't matter in games because reflexes are overpowered by knowledge and predictions -- contrary to 99% of popular belief. There are so many old-timer veterans around :)

That being said, there are many types of players who will absolutely impose their will on you with showcases of reflex. I'm striving to be one of them. You're right but I also care zero for Hearthstone heh.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 11:26 AM
I'm really curious which games would be competed in, as well as the platform. Because its a huge profit for whichever game or platform us picked if its a console.

Posted by kiwibadboy
On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 11:33 AM
I don't know how to feel about this. I love games as much as the next guy buuuttttt the Olympics? Really? I've never thought of games as a "sport"..... it'd be pretty weird to be included alongside stuff like gymnastics and track and field events.... yeah nah

Posted by AdamC
On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 11:39 AM
10 August 2017, 11:33 AM Reply to kiwibadboy
It would be like having chess at the Olympics..... or poker. I love video games but it's not a sport.

On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 12:06 PM
Nope , it needs its own thing, its own Gaming Olympics, like XGames does with Xtreme sport events.
If this goes in you might as well put in skateboarding, motoX, dancing, chess, tiddly winks etc

On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 12:33 PM
The thing about growing older is that the kids get all the cool crap.

Posted by MadCant
On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 1:16 PM
They should consider Chess before any eSports. Before they do that, they should review all of the traditional Olympic sports which have been dropped.

Posted by kniteowl
On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 2:12 PM
10 August 2017, 12:33 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
The thing about growing older is that the kids get all the cool crap.
But you can afford to buy the cool crap for them...

Posted by guido
On Thursday 10 Aug 2017 2:49 PM
For sure yes! There's been way weirder 'sports' at the Olympics before so why not give it a try??

On Friday 11 Aug 2017 8:21 AM
I know they're not physical games but they are extremely mentally taxing, and i think it's a matter of time before it join's the Olympics,

Posted by BigC
On Friday 11 Aug 2017 11:47 AM
This is ridiculous! They should stick to the real sports like ribbon twirling and rubber ball throwing...