The Weekend Chat: Indie Darlings

This week marked the release of Tacoma – developer Fullbright’s second game. Quite often in this weekly feature, we talk about AAA games and how they pertain to the state of the industry, or just an interesting news story which captured our attention.

This week, let’s take some time to appreciate the smaller titles – those often made by tiny teams, or a single person. We’re also keeping it simple:

What are some of your favourite indie games?

Maybe it’s Stardew Valley, with its tight gameplay loop and relaxing music. Or is it Darkest Dungeon, with its stress-inducing mechanics and macabre art style. How about Binding of Isaac, and its sheer amount of replayability?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

On Friday 4 Aug 2017 4:06 PM
Witcher 3, Stardew Valley.
Mount and Blade Warband?

Posted by Coddfish
On Friday 4 Aug 2017 4:32 PM
You already got the best on right there in the header image: Bastion.

There's probably too many to list, but some favourites that spring to mind immediately:
What Remains of Edith Finch
Guacamelee
Velocity 2X
Ori and the Blind Forest
No Man's Sky
Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan
Molemen Must Die

etc etc, Honestly, I find that indie games generally tend to resonate with me a lot more than AAA, and it's bizarre to me that they're seen as holding less value.

On Friday 4 Aug 2017 5:15 PM
4 August 2017, 04:32 PM Reply to Coddfish
You already got the best on right there in the header image: Bastion.

What Remains of Edith Finch
Guacamelee
Velocity 2X
Ori and the Blind Forest
No Man's Sky
Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan
Molemen Must Die

Indies seem to have more play Value than AAA games, i get angry when i see people say "indies are trash" or "i only buy AAA" wtf is that?

Posted by SinuousPanic
On Friday 4 Aug 2017 6:15 PM
7 Days to Die is the only indie game I've gone back to multiple times, and has more hours logged up than any of my AAA titles (something like 300 hrs on steam and about 100 on Xbox). Ark is quite enjoyable but very repetitive. Space Engineers is technically a bloody fantastic game but lacked any actual game play when I got it and found it very hard to get back in to.

Posted by lax1
On Friday 4 Aug 2017 7:14 PM
Limbo for me.

On Friday 4 Aug 2017 8:15 PM
Oxenfree wasn't a perfect game but holy hell it was amazing.

Limbo was my first known indie game and it has a special place for that as it was fantastic.

Our and the blind forest is just OUTSTANDING.

In my brain I keep thinking Child of Light is indie despite being Ubi but it's certainly indie-like in that I love it the way I love indie games.

Fez is genius.

Rocket League is crazy it's indie.

Pretty much everything telltale since walking dead.

Gone Home

Yonder

I know there are more I haven't thought of but Indie games being man stream is amazing.

On Friday 4 Aug 2017 8:19 PM
OH transistor I dug the hell out of but the big one I forgot, Minecraft.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Friday 4 Aug 2017 10:24 PM
I'm fond of Gone Home, always will be. But I also really liked Don't Starve (got a good few hours, especially the multiplayer) and Stanley Parable. Pony Island was also a really neat, and really different game. The Binding of Isaac and the other Basement Collection games were some of my first games once I really got back into gaming. Portal Stories: Mel is a must have for any Portal fans. And FNAF did really well at building up an interesting (and popular) world. Even if many of the plot points don't match up.

Posted by Paorio
On Saturday 5 Aug 2017 1:53 PM
Man there are some damn good indie games
my favourites include:
- Terraria
- Stardew Valley
- Oxenfree
- Prison Architect
- Escapist
Terraria is definitely my favourite of the bunch, man that is a legendary game

Posted by mchumdinghy
On Sunday 6 Aug 2017 8:50 AM
I won a copy of Shovel Knight from NZG and it was one of the best things I've ever played :)

On Sunday 6 Aug 2017 12:55 PM
6 August 2017, 08:50 AM Reply to mchumdinghy
People complain about all the failures of kickstarting while ignoring all the amazing games that have succeeded and are great games in their own regard.

Posted by Jonathan-OverWorld
On Sunday 6 Aug 2017 3:09 PM
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is one of my most fav games of all time, so that has to easily be #1.

I seriously love Shovel Knight too, such a fantastic game and cast of characters. Would be #2.

For lesser known games, Castle in the Darkness is a awesome game on Steam that I wish had made it to consoles too (it truly belonged on them dammit!). It's a challenging but really fun old school inspired platformer.

There are millions more if I really sat down and thought about it, indie games seem to be a huge chunk of the games I play in general these days. Is Ori indie? Loved that too.

Posted by kentnz