The Weekend Chat: What’s next for Grand Theft Auto?

News popped up earlier today that Grand Theft Auto 6 was in production, when an actor’s resume supposedly appeared online. This report was quashed, when the actor himself confirmed that the listing wasn’t real.

But given how much of a powerhouse the franchise is, it’s likely we’ll see another entry in the open-world crime franchise. While most entries toy around with the cast, location, and era, there are constants in themes, humour, and gameplay. This week, we ask you:

What would you like to see a new Grand Theft Auto tackle?

Would you like Rockstar to step away from exploring the myth of the American Dream? Maybe a more diverse cast? Could the series survive on different soil, like 1999’s Grand Theft Auto: London?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 28 Jul 2017 4:30 PM
GTA London with Jason Statham and Mark Strong as the main characters. That is about all I would want in a new GTA game.

Posted by MadCant
On Friday 28 Jul 2017 5:14 PM
I would like to see the current situation expanded on with the addition of other locales, such as NY, London, etc, where you could travel from one city/region to another.
For me, the story is good, scratch that, it's great. ...but it's been hanging with friends in online, coupled with all the additional free content that's kept me playing GTA:V. Without the content, there would have been nothing new to hold my interest.
I would also like to see the return of various features lost, & can't believe skateboards, rollerskates, blades, pogo-sticks, etc aren't already in the game.

Posted by Dvst8u
On Friday 28 Jul 2017 5:36 PM
agree with mad. i haven't touched single player in forever , but online is awesome.slightly better servers and the game is almost complete for me.

Posted by ptys
On Friday 28 Jul 2017 11:11 PM
Didn't they toy with the idea of GTA Sydney at the early stages of V? [That would've been lame], but another country in Europe or South America would be a welcome change.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 29 Jul 2017 9:18 AM
Customised characters a la saints row style.

Posted by cortez72
On Saturday 29 Jul 2017 10:00 AM
The single player experience is still the most cinematic movie style story telling I have ever played. Absolutely loved the story. I still play online on a weekly basis, although the latest update has tarnished the experience for me.

Next? I think it needs to stay in America. The play on American subculture is strong, the audience I don't think would be there for London. If you look at the success of Vice City stories, the sales went backwards after the previous modern setting releases. Even the era could hamper sales. As much as I crave the 80's nostalgia, I concede it will need to be modern setting also.

Posted by dsinnz
On Saturday 29 Jul 2017 10:50 AM
A change of scene to London would be cool. I have a feeling the next on might be online proritised with the success of GTAV !

Posted by captain X nz
On Saturday 29 Jul 2017 11:06 AM
Rockstar should farm out every second release to another, not so popular developer and include a zombies mode and maybe set it in Space.

....worked out really well for CoD.

On Sunday 30 Jul 2017 10:54 AM
Releasing a few months later on pc so more people buy the game twice, oh and don't forget no singleplayer dlc and more microtransactions.

On Sunday 30 Jul 2017 10:56 AM
30 July 2017, 10:54 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
I'll bet gta 6 wont sells as much because people wont buy it on their, xbox 360 xbox one and pc, like gta 5.
but they will delay it on pc without word just to make sure.

Posted by Ron
On Sunday 30 Jul 2017 11:00 AM
Plot twist - it's a Nintendo switch exclusive.

Posted by Paorio
On Sunday 30 Jul 2017 4:44 PM
30 July 2017, 10:56 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
but they will delay it on pc without word just to make sure.
You're such a bummer like 99% of the time, brighten up

On Sunday 30 Jul 2017 4:59 PM
30 July 2017, 04:44 PM Reply to Paorio
You're such a bummer like 99% of the time, brighten up
Well excuse me for not trying to get f**ked over by sc*mmy pubs, teach me "how to lighten up" since you suggested it you must be the master of lightening up :D

On Sunday 30 Jul 2017 5:00 PM
30 July 2017, 04:44 PM Reply to Paorio
You're such a bummer like 99% of the time, brighten up
brighten/lighten, close enough.

Posted by Paorio
On Sunday 30 Jul 2017 7:16 PM
30 July 2017, 04:59 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Well! First of all, you gotta realise that:

1. You're the one who bought the game twice (you really make it sound like you did), no-one had a gun to your head.

2. Everyone knows about PC's being "all powerful machines" you don't need to rub that in every second sentence.

3. Breath in, 1... 2... 3... Breath out...

4. Go play some games for fun couldn't hurt.

On Sunday 30 Jul 2017 8:23 PM
30 July 2017, 07:16 PM Reply to Paorio
Well! First of all, you gotta realise that:

3. Breath in, 1... 2... 3... Breath out...

4. Go play some games for fun couldn't hurt.
1. i never bought it twice,
2, no not everyone does, in the console community barely anybody knows this. when i was a console gamer i didn't know how amazing pc gaming was.

3, im always breathing
4. i play games normally for fun,

Posted by Paorio
On Monday 31 Jul 2017 3:40 PM
30 July 2017, 08:23 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
1. i never bought it twice,

3, im always breathing
4. i play games normally for fun,
You're really making this hard aren't you?

On Monday 31 Jul 2017 6:08 PM
31 July 2017, 03:40 PM Reply to Paorio
You're really making this hard aren't you?
lol.......... probably not.