The Weekend Chat: The Cutting Room Floor

The Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy released not too long ago. While the remasters may be harder than the originals, they stay faithful in their recreation by sticking to the art style fans remember.

Today however, a free DLC pack was released featuring a level cut from the original game – because it was deemed too difficult by the original developers. This is a standout case for the gaming industry; we rarely see cut content acknowledged at all, let alone re-introduced. This week, we ask you:

What’s some of your favourite cut content from games, that you know about?

Maybe it was the ambitious, larger open-world that was removed from Soul Reaver due to time-constraints? Or the prototype version of Dark Souls, which had you pick a named character at the start? Would some of these games have been better with this content?

If you’re stuck for ideas, The Cutting Room Floor – which this Weekend Chat is named after – is a resource cataloguing removed content, and hidden messages that programmers often leave embedded in their code.

Sponsored by Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by Xaphriel
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 4:25 PM
The amount of content cut from recent Bethesda games hurts my soul. Skyrim suffered, but Fallout 3 especially had SO much more stuff in it to begin, like enemies from older games, rad weapons, unique armour variants. I am sad for it. Obsidian’s New Vegas also had a TON more stuff planned and cut, but these are already packed games so maybe it was a good call?

And not really cut content, but I’ll always go on about the original incarnation of Bioshock Infinite. It was much darker, closer to the original, with more of the Boys of Silence and WAY more Songbird. I wish we could have seen more of that version, b/c although Inifinite is my favourite Bioshock, I that little trailer showing off the early one just looks so freakin’ cool.

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 4:28 PM
Kotor still cries for its cut content!

Posted by MadDudeHorse
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 4:44 PM
Watching the doc*mentary for what Halo 2 was initially planned to be and what we ended up with puts a lot of stuff on the cutting room floor, including the third act.

Posted by guido
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 4:52 PM
I'm intrigued by games that undergo radical changes during development leaving whole potential games on the cutting room floor. Games like Destiny that initially had a fantasy theme. Or Horizon Zero Dawn that initially featured weapons similar to that of Killzone. And then there's Overwatch that was built from the ashes of failed MMO Titan that was never released after 7 years in development!! And Borderlands' huge change of art style definitely contributed to its success by helping it stand out from the pack leading to several sequels that might never have otherwise happened.

I would definitely like to see games release 'what if' versions that explored some of these alternate realities but there's way more work involved than would be practical.

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 5:40 PM
21 July 2017, 04:44 PM Reply to MadDudeHorse
Didn't realise there was a doc*mentary for it but I do remember hearing about how they promised a heap of stuff in the game and then realised the system was not actually capable of doing what they wanted so they cut a heap of stuff out. It was still a fantastic game though so imagine how great it could have been.

Will never happen but imagine a remake that included all of that and with the power of today's systems. I would give my left testicle to get that game.

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 5:42 PM
21 July 2017, 04:25 PM Reply to Xaphriel

I would have liked that, the first Bioshock was definitely my favourite. And I have to say, wasn't that impressed with Infinite.

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 5:46 PM
Didn't they cut out a lot of stuff from FFVII? I remember hearing about how there was meant to be a storyline where you would bring Aeris back to life but they were rushed to get the game out so they didn't do that.

Are they still doing a remake? If do, I wonder if they will stick to the original story or add in the stuff they didn't get time to put in the original game.

Posted by piratemonkey
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 7:52 PM
21 July 2017, 05:46 PM Reply to 163Battery

I feel like if square had included the ability to bring her back to life it would've detracted from the heroes journey

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 9:46 PM
21 July 2017, 07:52 PM Reply to piratemonkey
Maybe but then the story would have been told the way the creators had intended. And I think that would be a good thing.

Posted by piratemonkey
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 10:57 PM
21 July 2017, 09:46 PM Reply to 163Battery
I am not sure that is correct
I believe in an interview, Tetsuya Nomura the character designer said
'“The world was expecting us to bring her back to life, as this is the classic convention. But we did not. We had decided not to do this from the beginning.”'

Posted by 163Battery
On Saturday 22 Jul 2017 6:18 AM
21 July 2017, 10:57 PM Reply to piratemonkey
I am not sure that is correct
I believe in an interview, Tetsuya Nomura the character designer said
Oh really? Yeah, it was just something I had heard at the time and other people I would talk to had heard the same thing. I assumed it was true. Wow, that's a misunderstanding about twenty years old that you just cleared up for me. Thanks!

On Saturday 22 Jul 2017 9:14 AM
When entire games are cut from sale because of stupid music licenses.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 22 Jul 2017 10:06 AM
I would have loved to see some single player story dlc for Mass Effect Andromeda. Not cut content exactly, but it still counts. They could have done a lot to change the game with extra dlc. I'd 100% buy it if they added in the quarian/volus/vorcha/hangar/drell/elcor arc. Adding in those races would honestly flesh out the game quite a bit.

On Saturday 22 Jul 2017 1:29 PM
22 July 2017, 10:06 AM Reply to Ryzlin
Everyone (on the internet) says mass Andromeda is awful, but i quite enjoyed it, the power of a meme is deadly.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Sunday 23 Jul 2017 8:46 AM
22 July 2017, 01:29 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
I personally, as a big Mass Effect fan, found it lacking in several areas. Story line, alien races, character development and quests, the nomad to name a few. But the combat was excellent, theultiplayer is pretty good, most of the mechanics were solid and all but that one salarian had good voice acting. I don't think it was terrible, but it didn't feel quite like a mass effect game which was a let down.

Posted by dsinnz
On Sunday 23 Jul 2017 11:03 AM
Sonic 2 had "hidden palace zone" cut from its original release but still remained on the Megadrive cartridge , without rom hacks it was unable to play until its mobile rerelease 21 years later as a bonus level! Must see for any sonic fan.

Posted by captain X nz
On Sunday 23 Jul 2017 5:25 PM
Watchdogs. That is all.

Posted by cutm
On Friday 28 Jul 2017 1:36 PM
I heard there were more than a few key changes made to Mass Effect: Andromeda during it's production and what they put out was quite different to the game they set out to make.