Doom Unlocks DLC for All, Gets Free Weekends

Doom Unlocks DLC for All, Gets Free Weekends

Developer id has released a new update for 2016’s Doom. Version 6.66 unlocks all paid DLC for every user, in addition to some new quality of life improvements to multiplayer progression.

“First, we’ve retired the DOOM season pass and are making all of the multiplayer DLC content available to all players,” writes director Marty Stratton on the Bethesda blog. “That’s three multiplayer DLC packs, which include nine of our best maps, three additional guns, three additional playable demons, new equipment, armor sets and more. That’s on top of the modes and features, like bot support, that players have been enjoying since late last year.”

Multiplayer progression is now more structured. Instead of unlocking items randomly, set levels will come with specific rewards. Hack Modules – consumables which give time-limited boosts or perks – have also been replaced with Runes. You can equip these as part of your loadout.

Some free weekends have also been announced. No New Zealand dates have been confirmed, but here’s the currently proposed schedule in NZT.

• PS4: July 28, 4AM NZT - July 31, 4AM NZT
  • Xbox One: July 21, 4AM NZT - July 24, 4AM NZT
  • PC: July 21, 5AM NZT - July 24, 8AM NZT

We’ll update as region-specific details become available.

Thanks for the tip Buckchoi – enjoy the VIP points!

Posted by 163Battery
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 9:50 AM
Great! I just bought this last weekend, finally.

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 10:03 AM
I wonder how the purchasers of the season pass feel about this.

Posted by czk51
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 10:09 AM
Never even got around to checking this out, even at the ridiculously low prices it's been sold at of late. Definitely keen on this.

Posted by AsianFella
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 10:13 AM
Awesome news. Might be time to pick it up again soon

Posted by Bunnny
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 10:22 AM
Can't find dl

On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 11:04 AM
How do you just "retire" a season pass and make the content free without pissing of said people that purchased it?

Posted by siamese
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 11:15 AM
I've got DOOM but really only played the single player portion of it. Had 1 game of MP and decided it felt way way too old school and not in a good way.

Posted by darklordfoamy
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 11:26 AM
I wondered what the 35gb download was for it when I turned on steam before going to work. Well will give it a look when I get home to see if it's changed much since launch but I will probably just stick with snap maps for Doom.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 11:27 AM
Moral of the Story?

Season Passes are dumb.
Don't buy season passes.

Posted by MadCant
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 11:30 AM
20 July 2017, 10:03 AM Reply to Unfathomable-Ruination
I wonder how the purchasers of the season pass feel about this.
Given that just about every franchise does this with their Season Pass/Premium once numbers fall off &/or it's been released a while, or GOTY edition (incl all DLC) comes out, etc - it's not really that big of a deal. I used to feel a little ripped-off back in the day, but as it's sort of become normal I've given up caring.

Posted by Jonathan-OverWorld
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 11:40 AM
Hmm, I could come back and get the rest of the Achievements now. Feel bad for people that paid for it, did they even mention them, a thanks or something lol?

I never buy season passes unless there is a significant discount or reason to do so right now, I didn't even buy the Breath of the Wild one. :O I'll pay you when the product is there ready and I can see what it is and if it's even worth it.

Posted by cortez72
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 12:08 PM
It's only "seasonal", so I guess they just decide when the season is over. In this case the season has ended, and as ChieftaiNZ said, moral of the story is the business model is stupid. It sounds like we all know not to fall for it anymore. Vote with your wallet peep's.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 12:30 PM
Shame the multiplayer is still terrible and not worth anyone's time.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 12:44 PM
20 July 2017, 12:30 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn
Shame the multiplayer is still terrible and not worth anyone's time.
Again, f**k off 2017 FPS game. Not every game needs f**king loadouts and perks and abilities.

Posted by kniteowl
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 1:19 PM
20 July 2017, 12:44 PM Reply to ChieftaiNZ
I agree. It's actually quite nice to have a few original takes on multiplayer shooters to choose from.

Posted by siamese
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 3:43 PM
20 July 2017, 12:44 PM Reply to ChieftaiNZ
I agree with you that not every game needs perks, abilities etc, but it just didnt feel right, It certainly didnt feel like an extension of the single player, everything felt scaled back a lot. I did only play one match so Im certainly not an authority on the subject but it was enough for me not to bother again.

Posted by birdman
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 4:26 PM
20 July 2017, 11:15 AM Reply to siamese
Same here, I picked it up super cheap from that DSE sale ages ago. I think I've only played 1-2 missions of SP so far and zero MP. After playing so much Destiny and now BF1 I found the pace of DOOM difficult to adjust too (protip: it's super fast!).

Will have to jump back in and at least try and finish the story.

On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 5:26 PM
20 July 2017, 04:26 PM Reply to birdman

Will have to jump back in and at least try and finish the story.
Yeah played the demo, and found the same. So didnt bother buying it, even when on special.

Posted by piratemonkey
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 5:50 PM
Currently $26.95 on ps4 shop (winter sale)
Multiplayer DLC is of no use to me however

Posted by Xaphriel
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 8:10 AM
This was one of my favourite games of last year, and I fully recommend picking it up for the single player. I spent long enough in Multiplayer to get my Platinum trophy, and never went back.

So ya know, play DOOM, but this isn't the reason to.

Sir Thrustsalot
Posted by Sir Thrustsalot
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 8:11 PM
20 July 2017, 10:03 AM Reply to Unfathomable-Ruination
I wonder how the purchasers of the season pass feel about this.
Hopefully happy there are more people to play with. It does highlight why you shouldn't buy for season passes though doesn't it

Posted by Vicx
On Saturday 22 Jul 2017 3:46 PM
I bought the BF3 season pass at launch and loved it, but eventually I along wih the community were begging for it to go free because we needed more players to join the DLC servers. BF Hardline released their DLC free not long ago and no one felt shafted, it was necessary.

Posted by jtbthatsme