The Weekend Chat: Trailer Truths

Earlier this week, PlayStation’s North American YouTube channel removed a gameplay video for Anthem, after eagle-eyed viewers found that PS4 button prompts were photoshopped over the original Xbox buttons. It was showing the game running on Xbox One X (Microsoft’s new hardware variant), and not PS4 Pro.

While it isn’t uncommon for early game trailers to swap out button prompts for different platforms (or have them designed in a way to appear platform agnostic), the case here is slightly different. The selling point of systems like the Pro or One X is in the minutiae – so they could have been marketing a version of the game that wasn’t representative of what Sony platform holders would get.

Do game trailers need to change, and cater to this fragmentation of the console market?

If so, how would you do it? Or is this not much of an issue for you? Is there any ideal answer?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by piratemonkey
On Friday 7 Jul 2017 5:45 PM
The marketing teams will use whatever hardware will present the product in the best light
It's nothing new, PC trailers featuring 'acctual gameplay' will be running on a high performance optimised machine of a kind that most people are unlikely to have access to, it would be foolish not to do so.

I have long looked upon any gameplay trailers with a degree of scepticism

On Friday 7 Jul 2017 6:38 PM
Not put sh*tty anti piracy measures on your games, that only affects buyers of the game.
just be awesome like cd project red or a lot of indie devs, and make a game so great they feel guilty pirating it.

i don't see what the big fuss is, they all use pc hardware, everyone knows at game demos they always have pcs "under the hood" with a giant xbox or playstation sign above it.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Friday 7 Jul 2017 9:14 PM
Trailers are edited by the devs/producers to show the game at its best with all the nasty bits edited out.

They are NEVER going to be accurate to the final products.

Posted by Ron
On Friday 7 Jul 2017 9:45 PM
2 words - Kill. Zone.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 8 Jul 2017 9:49 AM
7 July 2017, 05:45 PM Reply to piratemonkey

I have long looked upon any gameplay trailers with a degree of scepticism
Not only that, but what the marketing prior are given to work with.

I never expect a game to look like a trailer graphically, I pay more attention to the gameplay and voice acting.

Also, since I buy al my games from EB I just return them if I don't like them and get my money back.

Posted by cortez72
On Sunday 9 Jul 2017 11:17 AM
I pay little attention to the graphical detail, so the hardware on which it runs matters little to me. After all, these days we often watch these trailers on a little cellphone screen, which will skew our perspective.

Now if the trailer isn't representative of the game: Sega's Aliens title, No Man's Sky, Destiny, Killzone 2- then I think they are playing with fire.