Japanese RPG Banned in New Zealand Due to Strong Sexual Violence

Japanese RPG Banned in New Zealand Due to Strong Sexual Violence

The Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) has banned Criminal Girls: Invite Only in New Zealand, due to content deemed to be objectionable. According to the group’s findings, the game features elements of sexual violence towards minors.

Criminal Girls: Invite Only is an enhanced port of the 2010 PSP game. It’s an RPG and management sim, where players travel to hell, and must reform the spirits of young female delinquents so they can return to the land of the living without sin.

The game had elements removed (voice acting, covered up images) by publisher NIS America in 2015 so it could be released in other territories. It originally came out in Japan in 2013.

One of the game’s main features – the Motivation sequences – was the driving force behind the OFLC’s ruling.

“… [T]he Motivation sequences themselves do not encourage the player to focus on the girls as ‘young persons’, and instead concentrates on presenting their embarrassment, powerlessness and humiliation in a sexualised manner,” the OFLC stated. “The dialogue clearly establishes that the girls are either unwilling to participate, or naïve about the player character’s intentions.”

The group’s ruling continues, adding that because the girl’s final reaction is then positive, the narrative “justifies rape and is presented solely for titillation.”

“This game requires players to engage with the female characters in sexualised situations where consent is not only absent, but where the protestations of the female characters are part of the attraction,” the OFLC concluded. “There is a strong likelihood of injury to the public good, including to adults from the trivialisation and normalisation of such behaviour, so the game is banned.”

Because of the ruling, Criminal Girls: Invite Only cannot sold or purchased – either physically, or digitally – in New Zealand.

Earlier this year, another Japanese game – Gal Gun: Double Peace – was banned due to a narrative which “deals extensively in matters of sex,” and the “exploitation of children and young persons for sexual purposes.”

Criminal Girls: Invite Only joins a short list of other titles also banned in New Zealand, including 2003’s Manhunt.

Posted by AdamC
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 10:10 AM
Ahh Japan, you've done it again......

Posted by promaori
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 10:15 AM
The people they're trying to prevent from getting a copy of this will get a copy regardless of the ruling of the OFLC.

On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 10:18 AM
What surprised me was how long it has been since release that they have banned it.

I wonder what brought it for he censors attention now.

Posted by SouthSieeda
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 10:39 AM
Gutted!
Uh, I mean uh, good! Damn preverts!

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 10:44 AM
BAN ALL ANIME 2017

Posted by Bank
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 10:48 AM
2017 WAS MEANT TO MAKE ANIME GREAT AGAIN.
2017 WAS THE CHOSEN ONE.

Early 2018 is our last hope.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 10:58 AM
29 June 2017, 10:18 AM Reply to drunk_monk

I wonder what brought it for he censors attention now.
Someone laid a complaint? Or maybe its only now being released in NZ.

Posted by Coddfish
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 11:11 AM
29 June 2017, 10:58 AM Reply to Ryzlin
Someone laid a complaint? Or maybe its only now being released in NZ.
It's never been officially released here, but it's been available on Steam for some time.
I'm guessing OFLC only just caught wind of it, either by someone lodging a complaint or by their own investigations.

Posted by Zolen
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 11:45 AM
How do people think that is OK to publish in the first place ... man thats messed up! Ban the sh*t out of it OFLC you have my blessing!

On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 12:03 PM
They are banning games left and right, f**k them.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 12:12 PM
29 June 2017, 11:45 AM Reply to Zolen
Let me tell you something, Anime is not real. *everyone gasps* and your blessing? are you religious? go figure.

"Ban the sh*t out of it OFLC you have my blessing!" if people act like this they will crush people creative freedoms more than necessary.

there is a torture scene in gta5, and 10 year olds still play it, BAN THIS sh*t, oh ban one of the most popular games of all time? even has a rape scene in it.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 12:17 PM
Well at least it's not Germany, Banning a game because is has a swastika.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Posted by Zolen
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 12:29 PM
29 June 2017, 12:12 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy

Giving something your blessing is a common enough term "religious" or not. In regards to creative freedoms, I see your point but we need to have ethics. Encouraging rape, let alone with a minor, in a game (even if its fictional) in my opinion is WAY over the line ... I am happy for you to dissagree .. but I admit, it surprised me, as did the assumption of religion. Which religion were you referring to - or are they all the same to you ?

Posted by AdamC
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 12:35 PM
29 June 2017, 12:03 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
They are banning games left and right, f**k them.
Two pervy games getting banned is left n right bannings everywhere? Ok then.

On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 12:35 PM
29 June 2017, 11:11 AM Reply to Coddfish
AH that explains it.

I saw under the classification yesterday that it was the Chief Censor who instigated it, but wondered why it popped up 2 years after release. But it not being released here explains it so the chief censor may have just come across it in research.

On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 1:17 PM
29 June 2017, 12:29 PM Reply to Zolen
Nah, it's just that religious people tend to be more offended to this type of thing. :D

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 1:18 PM
29 June 2017, 12:35 PM Reply to AdamC
Two pervy games getting banned is left n right bannings everywhere? Ok then.
Well, at least they haven't banned the great Japanese games yet.

Posted by Zolen
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 1:27 PM
29 June 2017, 10:15 AM Reply to promaori
Sad but very true. Makes you wonder if it actually just draws more of that demographics attention to it ?

On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 4:17 PM
29 June 2017, 01:27 PM Reply to Zolen
Yeah, really it's free advertising and makes more people get it, defeating the purpose.

Posted by AdamC
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 4:30 PM
29 June 2017, 04:17 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
It's not the oflc that's putting it on news feeds though is it.

Posted by ironfist92
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 6:41 PM
I'm more peeved about Shadow Warrior 2 still being banned here...when the first game is still available to purchase.

KatalystaKaos
Posted by KatalystaKaos
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 7:39 PM
29 June 2017, 04:30 PM Reply to AdamC
It's not the oflc that's putting it on news feeds though is it.
So true. As a father with a daughter I encourage & DARE NZGamer to remove this story.....

Posted by Coddfish
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 7:48 PM
29 June 2017, 06:41 PM Reply to ironfist92
Shadow Warrior 2 isn't banned here o_O

Posted by Paorio
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 7:51 PM
29 June 2017, 06:41 PM Reply to ironfist92
But you can buy that on the steam store... Like it even has a NZ price and all

Posted by ironfist92
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 9:35 PM
29 June 2017, 07:48 PM Reply to Coddfish
Shadow Warrior 2 isn't banned here o_O

Nowhere to be seen on the PSN, or in stores.

On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 11:39 PM
29 June 2017, 09:35 PM Reply to ironfist92

Nowhere to be seen on the PSN, or in stores.
Isn't Shadow Warrior 2 a pc exclusive for a while?

Posted by Coddfish
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 11:46 PM
29 June 2017, 09:35 PM Reply to ironfist92

Nowhere to be seen on the PSN, or in stores.
It's not banned; it was never submitted for classification by the publisher. That's why you can get on Steam, import it, etc.

Posted by cortez72
On Friday 30 Jun 2017 8:22 AM
The thing which gets me is I assume this game comes from a reasonably sized studio, with resources to develop a next gen title, capable of an international release. Translated into English. The result is a niche fetish title with morally questionable scenes/themes. That's a decent number of creative people who collectively said "I'm ok with this."

I wonder if any of them walked away from the project. 'You know what, nope, I don't want my name on this, my parents would be ashamed.'

Posted by kniteowl
On Friday 30 Jun 2017 9:17 AM
29 June 2017, 10:15 AM Reply to promaori
But how can they do that if the game can be confiscated at the border?

On Friday 30 Jun 2017 12:05 PM
30 June 2017, 08:22 AM Reply to cortez72

A jobs a job.

On Friday 30 Jun 2017 12:05 PM
30 June 2017, 09:17 AM Reply to kniteowl
But how can they do that if the game can be confiscated at the border?
Digital Distribution is a wonderful thing.

Posted by Kyimo
On Friday 30 Jun 2017 4:05 PM
like how they fail to mention that all the characters in the game are already in hell.

ah well, to be fair, people that wanted the game most likely got it in the time its taken from original release to this happening.

KatalystaKaos
Posted by KatalystaKaos
On Friday 30 Jun 2017 4:19 PM
30 June 2017, 08:22 AM Reply to cortez72

Sadly the world has its share of sick f**kers, those SF don't realise their SF and tend to be drawn together like primordial ooze and often find themselves working, playing and in general being sick f**kers together.

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Friday 30 Jun 2017 4:55 PM
29 June 2017, 10:15 AM Reply to promaori
Well yeah, but the same would apply for anything banned I suppose.

Posted by Bank
On Saturday 1 Jul 2017 11:57 AM
Jeepers can someone please contain the catalyst that is Kaos?
Who's dad is this?

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Saturday 1 Jul 2017 1:27 PM
1 July 2017, 11:57 AM Reply to Bank
Jeepers can someone please contain the catalyst that is Kaos?
Who's dad is this?
WHO DAD THIS IS? WHO DAD THIS IS?

KatalystaKaos
Posted by KatalystaKaos
On Saturday 1 Jul 2017 2:34 PM
1 July 2017, 11:57 AM Reply to Bank
Jeepers can someone please contain the catalyst that is Kaos?
Who's dad is this?
So Bank you think a narrative “justifies rape and is presented solely for titillation.” is a good thing?

Posted by Telprydain
On Monday 17 Jul 2017 3:43 PM
29 June 2017, 06:41 PM Reply to ironfist92
I didn't have issues getting it.