[UPDATE] SNES Classic Announced for NZ, Comes with 21 Games

[UPDATE] SNES Classic Announced for NZ, Comes with 21 Games

Update: 27/06/2017, 11:07AM. Nintendo Australia has confirmed that the SNES Classic will be coming to New Zealand shores on September 30, with a suggested retail price of $119.95 AUD. At time of writing, that's roughly $125 NZD.

The system will also require the Nintendo USB AC Adapter, but it isn't included in the package. This will set you back $19.95 AUD (about $21 NZD).

Original story follows:

If you missed the boat on the NES Classic last year, you might have a chance to catch Nintendo’s latest mini-system. The Super Nintendo Classic will release in America on September 29 for $80 USD.

No New Zealand release date or pricing has been confirmed.

As per the NES Classic, a line-up of games will come pre-installed. Here’s the full list.

• Contra 3: The Alien Wars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Yoshi's Island

Nintendo has confirmed to Kotaku that the controller cable sits at about 1.5m – nearly 60cm more than the NES Classic’s length. The Japanese company also plans to ship more units, but only for one year.

We aren't providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017. At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year.

Our long-term efforts are focused on delivering great games for the Nintendo Switch system and continuing to build momentum for that platform, as well as serving the more than 63 million owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems. We are offering Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition in special recognition of the fans who show tremendous interest our classic content.

We’ll update this story when New Zealand dates and pricing become available.

Posted by mchumdinghy
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 8:37 AM
Looks fantastic! Though I wonder if 80USD will translate into something like 200NZD

Posted by jmduknz
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 8:40 AM
Not unexpected but worry what this means for the switch virtual console.

On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 8:45 AM
Never had a Nintendo nor am I a fanboy of their main franchises, but boy I like that list. I think Ill definitely buy one (if there is enough supply) just for the likes of Ghouls n Ghosts (played it in Sega MS2), SF2 Hyper, Secret of Mana, Zelda, Final Fantasy 3 etc

Posted by Dvst8u
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 9:40 AM
have all the latest mini consoles been hdmi or avi? dont have an avi tv anymore

Posted by Tin-Automaton
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 9:55 AM
27 June 2017, 09:40 AM Reply to Dvst8u
have all the latest mini consoles been hdmi or avi? dont have an avi tv anymore
They're HDMI, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 10:21 AM
Surprised this is how they finally put our Starfox 2, guess this means they finally have SupeeFX emulation down. Also glad they're using the Super Famicom design for the European release, way nicer that the American console.

Posted by iludez
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 10:33 AM
This will sell massively. I'm even tempted to get one and I'm not a Nintendo fan

On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 10:57 AM
NZGamer might want to update their pic.

The American version is the purple buttons you have pictured.
The European version that we'll get in NZ will be the traditional coloured buttons.

On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 11:08 AM
BTW Mighty Ape already have a pre-order up. Though no price attached.
I've pre-ordered mine :)

Posted by Tin-Automaton
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 11:15 AM
27 June 2017, 10:57 AM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
NZGamer might want to update their pic.

The American version is the purple buttons you have pictured.
Yeah, we just got the press release from Nintendo now, with official pics/details.

On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 11:31 AM
Hmmm, Will they only make a few thousand so scalpers can make a nice tidy profit? .... Again.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 12:13 PM
27 June 2017, 11:31 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Maybe if you read the article you would see the part where they say they plan to manufacture significantly more units than the NES Classic.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 12:14 PM
Also glad we're getting the Super Famicom design, the American SNES was always kind of ugly. Game selection is solid, but could be better, Kirby's Dream Course is the only thing I'd remove though. Where's Chrono Trigger at?

Posted by kniteowl
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 12:19 PM
Nintendo printing more money again! I might buy one this time so I can hawk it off for triple the price (sarcasm). Hopefully it's as easily hacked as the regular NES classic so we can get games like Chrono Trigger on it :)

On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 1:19 PM
27 June 2017, 12:14 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn
Agreed.
I like it but would have been nice to have a bit more. Its a Decent variety that is there though.
Jeez if Chrono Trigger was on it I would of lost my sh!t. Would of been a system seller alone.

Posted by CloudAxel16
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 2:06 PM
$140 according to EB Games and Mighty Ape. So less than $7 for each game which is pretty good. Though I hope they bring the titles to Nintendo Switch, rather play them on the go.

On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 2:06 PM
Hopefully significantly more is enough for demand and people don't miss their chance again.

I never played this console so am pretty hyped to give it a jam.

Posted by Jonathan-OverWorld
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 2:44 PM
What an amazing list of games, seriously, multiple 'best ever' nominations in one package - I love it! Starfox 2 is a fantastic surprise as well, didn't expect that at all. Thumbs way up.

On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 2:50 PM
27 June 2017, 12:13 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn
Still doesn't mean that will be enough, Nintendo has a recent bad history of providing products.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 6:46 PM
RRP of $139.99 and a release date of the 30th of September apparently. At least, accoridng to EB Games and Mightyape.

Posted by piratemonkey
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 8:43 PM
I'd guess a pre-order is probably a good idea if you want to get your hands on one regardless of 'significantly more units'

Posted by Silvon
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 9:22 PM
There's a few games in there I'd really like to play and have and I like the idea of this, I put a pre-order through for one earlier today.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 11:16 PM
27 June 2017, 08:43 PM Reply to piratemonkey
I'd say expect at least twice as many. They said they'd ship til the end if the year, which is a month longer than the NES.

Posted by Jonathan-OverWorld
On Wednesday 28 Jun 2017 12:32 AM
Seriously, just pre-order and you should be fine. If you know you want one, and you know you're going to buy one, and you know you'll be disappointed if you miss out, pre-order it now so you can guarantee (mostly) one for launch day.

Really not that hard.

Posted by ricky1981
On Wednesday 28 Jun 2017 5:05 AM
Preordered for my 6 year old, should give her a nice intro to gaming and there are some serious classics in there!

Posted by ptys
On Wednesday 28 Jun 2017 7:11 AM
Slightly odd we get the famicom version considering they never really sold the SNES in NZ outside of Kmart [Correct me if I'm wrong]. I had to get my sister to buy me one from Aus and ship it over. Worth getting for Mario Kart alone!

Posted by palmania
On Wednesday 28 Jun 2017 10:50 AM
Done the pre-order :)

Posted by Ron
On Wednesday 28 Jun 2017 6:10 PM
Day #1 baby!

Posted by FreddlePopGameS
On Thursday 29 Jun 2017 2:40 PM
28 June 2017, 06:10 PM Reply to Ron
Day #1 baby!
Me too. I never even checked the price and just hit that preorder button.