The Weekend Chat: Original Character, Do Not Steal

Earlier this week it was announced that Sonic Forces – the upcoming entry in Sega’s longstanding franchise – would include a character creator. Players can select their hero’s base model, and tweak a range of different cosmetics.

This week, we’re keeping it simple:

Do you use character creators?

Or do you prefer hand-crafted models? Do you stick with the default, or given the chance do you dive deep into glabella and overbite sliders? Do you find that customisation adds to authorship of your tale?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 19 May 2017 4:27 PM
I see that Monster Factory thumbnail. That's a good, good boy right there.

Posted by MadDudeHorse
On Friday 19 May 2017 4:48 PM
I generally take one of the base characters in the editor and only tweak minor things. Some games do it well like Fallout and The Sims and others don't like GTA V. I could not get a reasonable looking character from the GTA V editor using their silly grandparent system.

Posted by cortez72
On Friday 19 May 2017 6:25 PM
19 May 2017, 04:48 PM Reply to MadDudeHorse
They did actually fix the grand parent system to allow you to tweak parameters after setting the olds. Ended up being pretty robust. Recently made a pretty decent looking version of the GF for her.

As for custom characters, I'm all about it. I will pour hours into it. Skyrim, Little Big Planet, WWE 2k17. I love to tweak and fine tune. For me it does make the game more emersive, but I will concede that Trevor, Franklin and Michael were some of the most enjoyable characters I've ever played.

I find if I am describing a game scene to a mate, the word 'I' is used to describe my actions in custom games. While I tend to say 'the character' when describing a fixed protagonist.

Posted by ptys
On Friday 19 May 2017 9:40 PM
Always go custom. Think games like Mass Effect are heightened when you make the character your own.

On Friday 19 May 2017 11:29 PM
I enjoy making my steam profile look nice, something the consoles don't really have. putting pics and gifs of whatever i feel like, i love how free the community is with this.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 20 May 2017 12:44 AM
Depends on the game. If I can pick between different races I will 100% spend the first hour of gameplay crafting a character. My first Dragon Age Inquisition character was an elf with a perpetually worried frown.

Games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2 where you're a bit more restricted in how you play your character are the games I tend to default model in, with a few make up tweaks. I regret not going with default Ryder in Andromeda.

Games like fallout and skyrim where you have a lot of freedom will also get the hour character creation treatment.

Seriously though, let me play as a non human and I will speed so much time playing with sliders!

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 20 May 2017 12:45 AM
19 May 2017, 04:48 PM Reply to MadDudeHorse
I like my GTA online character but I wasn't going for anything pretty so that might of helped. :p

On Saturday 20 May 2017 12:13 PM
I like the idea of them and used to spend hours on them, but nowadays like MadDudeHorse I tend to just tweak a default at most these days.

I like Japanese games that have a good selection of defaults to pick or good random generators.

Posted by ironfist92
On Saturday 20 May 2017 12:36 PM
I feel like it makes it irrelevant when the story doesn't change depending on who and how you choose to customise your character, Just makes me feel like my choices are unimportant, thus making it pointless when I could have the same experience with the default character.

I prefer games which acknowledge developer-made characters, because the dialogue and story reflects the character on a personal level.