The Weekend Chat: Franchise Fatigue

Earlier this week news hit that BioWare would be stepping away from the Mass Effect franchise, after the latest instalment Andromeda failed to perform. Members from the development studio were even siphoned off to other EA projects.

Publishers taking time away from their big franchises is nothing new – Ubisoft has done the same with the Assassin’s Creed series – but it does raise an interesting question.

Are we too fixated on franchises and sequels?

Would you prefer unique worlds and experiences with every game? Do you think established universes provide a higher level of user engagement because the fan-base is so invested? Are reboots an acceptable solution for numbered titles getting out of control?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by OriginalSin
On Friday 12 May 2017 4:35 PM
If the game engine and graphical quality is up to scratch then rebooting a series can be just as good.

I'd almost prefer remasters of the Elder Scrolls series to a new installment in it. The stories, lore and world has been built up for decades., The atmosphere, diverse scenery, climates, races and history are all there just begging for an engine that's worthy of using to remaster the entire series within it.

They're getting close, but they're not quite there yet.

Posted by mchumdinghy
On Friday 12 May 2017 4:41 PM
You either die a masterpiece, or live long enough to become a 70 on Metacritic

Posted by cortez72
On Friday 12 May 2017 5:46 PM
I think in the case of GTA, the story is unique to each title, the game engine is accessible and fun, seems like something which shouldn't be messed with. However, the 2k franchise of wrestling games seem to sell based on previous success, we all want the next one to be a little bit better, but the last few have been a little bit poorer. They need some originality desperately.

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Friday 12 May 2017 6:18 PM
In some cases, we are force-fed sequels whether we want them or not, and can saturate a market. Guitar Hero is the perfect example. Don't get me wrong, I love Guitar Hero, especially the older titles, but they could mostly have just released the songs as DLC, akin to Rock Band. Between 2007-2009 there were 8, yes 8, Guitar Hero titles (And I don't believe that's even counting the DS titles). This made me start to not hate the series per se, but groan when a new one was released a few months after the last one.

On Friday 12 May 2017 6:42 PM
I definitely like having both having something new (ie Horizon Zero Dawn), something established (looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2).
But in that I always suffer from burnout of a franchise quickly. Burnt out after Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2/3, Tekken 3/Tag, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and never played another one of those IPs following games, Ive tried but I instantly regret it and hate it.
So I like new adventures, but I like 1-2 sequels max and no more.also.

But this article relating Franchise Fatigue to Mass Effect Andromeda doesnt much up, people arent fatigued on it imo, people just expected it to be made like ME1-3 and gamers dont realize alot of those people at Bioware are gone now and the team is largely different, hence the last game this particular team made was Dragon Age Inquisition - so was it really a surprise that ME:A came out more like DA:I with ME Lore?

Posted by that_black_guy
On Friday 12 May 2017 7:41 PM
Thats the weird thing. ME A has been slammed because it's being so heavily compared to the trilogy... which is understandable, but like spawn says... its not the same team. And it really isnt a bad game. I think it would've been much better received had it not had Mass Effect in it's title

Posted by ptys
On Friday 12 May 2017 8:15 PM
Initial development takes so much with ground work with the engine, world, assets, characters, music, story etc that it's hard for the dev to know where to focus and refine. A sequels has most of the setup done set so they can just focus on the actual creation and gameplay, what worked, what didn't.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Friday 12 May 2017 9:46 PM
I like both, as long as the sequels are of high quality and not rushed / released every 12 months like Call of Duty and Assassins Creed.

Sure they have three years development time between the three studios in Call of Duty but still, having a new game in the same franchise every 12 months is too much.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Friday 12 May 2017 10:52 PM
I live me some new IPs, but I'm also a sucker for a reboot or a sequel. I am all aboard the Crash train and the BioShock Collection party. Infinite was the first game I preordered. That being said, Horizon Zero Dawn and Until Dawn are fabs in my game collection. As to if we should just have new games all the time, no. Some stories take multiple games to tell and some worlds are so vast that you can tell a wealth of different stories. Look at Fallout and Elder Scrolls. But I honesty think that ME A was the wrong story to tell. And that's saying something because I love ME. I've even made a table top D&D-esque game because I love it so much. I like Andromeda, but I firmly believe it should have been based in a different time. Maybe the Rachni wars, or the First contact war. They needed to do something that made ME A different from the trilogy and placing it in Andromeda wasn't enough. They should of just let you choose your race.

On Saturday 13 May 2017 12:17 AM
12 May 2017, 06:42 PM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
So I like new adventures, but I like 1-2 sequels max and no more.also.

HZD is new? when i played it seemed like just another 3rd person action adventure with stealth elements?

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

On Saturday 13 May 2017 12:18 AM
Sequels can always fix it's predecessors flaws.

Posted by souljah685
On Saturday 13 May 2017 12:50 AM
I get franchise fatigued after the 3rd one comes out of any series. They need to work on new games after the third to change up gamers gaming experience. Personally I've lost interest all FPS games after Modern Warfare III cause got too repeatitive and others series were slowly imitating what modern warfare created.

But at the end of the day all comes down to money

Posted by Ron
On Saturday 13 May 2017 11:07 AM
For me fifa and madden, I brought each since 2001 to 2010 and then stopped as its basically the same game every year w/ squad updates.

Posted by Paorio
On Saturday 13 May 2017 11:49 AM
13 May 2017, 12:17 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
You can't doubt that the game was solid

KatalystaKaos
Posted by KatalystaKaos
On Saturday 13 May 2017 2:49 PM
13 May 2017, 12:17 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Geez it must be difficult coming up with new ways to be the NZG communities village idiot everyday. SSS makes a well thought and on point comment and best you can do spew forth your typical trolling dribble. Then in what can only be seen as an attempt to try and neutralize the down votes(has anyone every dropped a VIP rank?) that your reply will surely receive you make another comment directly below, that actually makes a contribution to "The Weekend Chat" and even a little sense.

Please enlighten us, how long did you play HZD for? I'd hazard a guess and say sweet F.A.

As someone who plays a shipload of 3rd person adventures and RPG's I found it to be a great new franchise, nothing revolutionary but a fantastically well produced breathe of fresh air in a world full of half baked sequels and remasters.

On Saturday 13 May 2017 3:43 PM
13 May 2017, 12:17 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Is it not a NEW franchise? In a unique world? And gave me a unique experience? As this weekend chat is about.?
I could bite and give examples like yours about nearly every PC game taking parts of other games , or they're just another generic MOBA , MMO or shooter but I ain't got time for that list of spam.

On Saturday 13 May 2017 5:18 PM
13 May 2017, 11:49 AM Reply to Paorio
You can't doubt that the game was solid
I never said it was a bad game, no it's pretty good.

On Saturday 13 May 2017 5:19 PM
13 May 2017, 03:43 PM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
all games take from other games, there are never many unique games.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

On Saturday 13 May 2017 5:20 PM
13 May 2017, 02:49 PM Reply to KatalystaKaos

Good for you, you like the most popular tags, means you will get lots of 3rd person action adventures.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Posted by Rapidity
On Saturday 13 May 2017 10:28 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with franchise/sequel burnout and everything to do with publishers/developers trying to cash in on a name, see ME:A and Wildlands, unfortunately the quality just doesn't stack up to what's expected of those names. Contrast this to the Demons Souls and Uncharted series, where the quality measures up to past iterations and therefore fans are still just as keen to get their hands on more.

Posted by guido
On Monday 15 May 2017 9:27 AM
I love a brand new franchise with a great new character in a new game world wrapped in a unique mythos like the seminal Horizon Zero Dawn which set the bar high for others to follow. But for me, good game is good game. If it's the latest in a long line of sequels but is an excellent game that advances the series in leaps and bounds then all good! I don't get fatigued by games that up the ante or reinvent themselves in significant ways like Breath of the Wild but rather by yearly, incremental "last years game with one new feature" sequels that many series are guilty of.

Posted by Mockstar
On Monday 15 May 2017 10:48 AM
Franchise fatigue is definitely a thing (looking at you Assassins Creed). But with ME:A, its not a franchise fatigue, it's a game design fatigue. They have rehashed game mechanics from DA:I and slapped the ME franchise on top of it. I love ME and I wan to see more ME games, but not if they are a generic formulaic game wearing an ME story.