The Weekend Chat: Boots on the Ground

We got our first glimpse at Call of Duty: WWII this week, which takes the franchise back to its roots. Older vehicles and weapons of war are returning, forgoing the high-tech gadgetry that defined the last few releases.

While re-treading old ground isn’t necessarily a bad thing, is it what Call of Duty needs to reinvigorate the franchise? This week, we ask you:

Are you excited for Call of Duty: WWII?

Do you think developer Sledgehammer would have been better served by taking a bigger risk, like DICE did with Battlefield 1? Or will resetting the franchise allow those working on it to take stock of the core principles that define it?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

On Friday 28 Apr 2017 5:20 PM
Looking at the likes/dislike ratio of this cod and the previous cod... might be an indication of people who will buy it, im sure more will buy it.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Friday 28 Apr 2017 5:44 PM
Unsurprisingly, making massive changes to how a game plays alienates the original fans of the game and leads to a drop off in popularity.
I'm looking at you 343i.

I hope this is the same direction the next Halo title takes. It's been dropping in popularity steadily since 343 have taken the reigns. its time for them to return to the classic formula and drop the advanced movement nonsense.

Posted by dsinnz
On Friday 28 Apr 2017 7:07 PM
I for one am excited, the last COD I cared about was the original Black Ops there's just something about the WW2 athstetic that is incredibly fascinating. Cant wait.

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 28 Apr 2017 7:31 PM
I think a step back in this case is a good thing. I remember how awesome the first COD games were. Would like to recapture some of that.

Posted by mchumdinghy
On Friday 28 Apr 2017 11:12 PM
COD has three dev teams and a community that has called for a return to WW2 for a long time now, surely they can afford to try this out and then hand things back to treyarch for next year.
I for one am super interested in this idea of not doing anything outside of the reality of the character, having no main villian and moving away from regenerating health to a medic based system. I'm on board for the first time in years and can't wait to see what sort of story sledgehammer can tell.

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Saturday 29 Apr 2017 7:18 AM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. However, I can't help but think the only reason they're doing it is because of the success of Battlefield 1., and not because it's what the fans have been wanting. Will be interesting to see how the single-player campaign plays out.

Posted by dsinnz
On Saturday 29 Apr 2017 10:48 AM
29 April 2017, 07:18 AM Reply to Unfathomable-Ruination
This game started development 3 years ago so I don't think it was a reaction to battlefield 1 . Interesting coincidence though.

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Saturday 29 Apr 2017 12:24 PM
29 April 2017, 10:48 AM Reply to dsinnz
Yeah, good point, never thought of that actually.

Posted by Paorio
On Saturday 29 Apr 2017 12:46 PM
28 April 2017, 07:07 PM Reply to dsinnz
pretty sure black ops was during the cold war not ww2

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Saturday 29 Apr 2017 12:56 PM
29 April 2017, 12:46 PM Reply to Paorio
pretty sure black ops was during the cold war not ww2
Correct, it was set in the 60's

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Saturday 29 Apr 2017 6:28 PM
Well I'll stick to what I've said elsewhere trailer looks good but can they get away from the samey samey feel of we've been here 10-20 times before. That's probably going to be the best indicator of the future of CoD.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Sunday 30 Apr 2017 1:20 AM
It's a good opportunity for CoD to be great again, and for Activision to redeem themselves - If there is no micro-transactions / supply drops, and the game has dedicated servers, balanced simple gameplay I think it'll do great.

Posted by gspcdNZ
On Sunday 30 Apr 2017 4:58 PM
I honestly think that they got their asses handed to them with Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 made them look stupid. I don't think they will be nearly as good as they once were... and I'm actually happy about that. Activision are only in it for the money and it shows.

On Sunday 30 Apr 2017 9:57 PM
29 April 2017, 12:56 PM Reply to Unfathomable-Ruination
Correct, it was set in the 60's
The Numbers Mason, The Numbers!