The Weekend Chat: Mini Consoles

Earlier this week it was announced that Nintendo halted production of the NES Mini – a smaller version of their classic console from the eighties, sporting HDMI-out and packed with emulated versions of games. This news was shortly followed by a report which claimed the company was pivoting to develop an SNES Mini.

This week, we’re keeping it simple:

Which classic console would you like to see in a miniaturised form?

Maybe the original PlayStation? Or something a little stranger, like the Dreamcast? What software titles do you think characterize those systems?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 21 Apr 2017 4:12 PM
They're novel, but I'd rather developers put some effort in to releasing their backlogs on current hardware/PC. Though I bet console cert processes make that 10 times harder and more expensive than it needs to be.

On Friday 21 Apr 2017 4:24 PM
Pretty much everything pre-ps1 as I mostly only dabbled with other people's consoles until then.

Posted by SinuousPanic
On Friday 21 Apr 2017 4:50 PM
I'd love it if the DreamCast came back, I only doesn't a short time with one but more than anything it would be awesome if Sega came back into the console market.

Posted by Coddfish
On Friday 21 Apr 2017 6:44 PM
Eh, the mini consoles are gimmick; a little Raspberry Pi running an emulator, with a tiny selection of games. The whole thing feels like the kind of off-brand knock-offs I used to play as a kid in South Africa.

I'm with Syn-Ryn, I'd much rather see more effort put into Virtual Console. Maybe introduce some sort of Virtual Console mobile app and release a decent controller to go with it - I'd definitely drop some good money to be able to legally play NES/SNES games on my phone with a good controller.

What I'd really like to see is new production runs of those old consoles and key titles. I've got no interest in officially-sanctioned cheap knock-offs, but if I could buy authentic NES and SNES and new copies of my favourite games from those systems, without having to navigate the second-hand / collectors market? I'd be all over that.

On Friday 21 Apr 2017 8:08 PM
21 April 2017, 06:44 PM Reply to Coddfish

They sound like something china would make, in terms of knocking off

Posted by captain X nz
On Friday 21 Apr 2017 8:43 PM
Recently picked up a Gameboy Micro and that's a damn fine pocket size machine.

On board for the SNES, just because it'll look Super Gundam next to my original console.

Posted by ptys
On Friday 21 Apr 2017 8:52 PM
As someone who collects these things I don't like that the games are built in. Would prefer a cheap disc of some sort.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 22 Apr 2017 9:43 AM
I just want to play done of the old mega drive games I grew up with without awkward emulation buttons on the PC. Unfortunately they weren't the popular ones. I'd probably be a passable player now!

Posted by dr_zox
On Saturday 22 Apr 2017 11:53 AM
I would rather have a rasberry pi

Posted by emetic
On Tuesday 25 Apr 2017 5:11 PM
A thumb-drive sized xb360 would be nice. Or a ps4 in micro-pc size.

Posted by emetic
On Tuesday 25 Apr 2017 5:16 PM
Tbh the current micro thing they have done is not even an effort. They should make the console tiny so it just sits in an hdmi slot and runs power from usb. Or built in to the controller would be nice, but you'd have to run wireless dusplay which would not be ideal.