The Weekend Chat: Have You Ever Used a Key Reseller?

Earlier this week, Gearbox’s publishing arm entered into a partnership with key reseller G2A for the release of Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition. While these types of deals aren’t anything new in the industry, this one garnered some controversy and public outcry, forcing Gearbox to pivot.

G2A has a chequered history, with multiple developers claiming that the company makes it easy to for fraudsters to sell keys on their marketplace via stolen credit cards. G2A aren’t the only key reseller on the market though, with the likes of Greenman Gaming and (to a lesser extend) Humble Bundle also having a share of the marketplace. This week, we ask you:

Have you ever used a key reseller?

Was it to save some money? Or do you prefer to stick to more rigid, official storefronts? Have your habits changed surrounding G2A’s controversy?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

On Friday 7 Apr 2017 4:39 PM
No way, i save way more money buying from Humble Bundle. there was one bundle recently, $30 usd for $600 worth of games.

you only buy games from g2a if you don't want to support the developers like the cod games (because they are still full priced wtf) or Ubisoft games.

On Friday 7 Apr 2017 5:05 PM
By the time I was in a position to use them, I'd heard the dodgy stories about some.

Because of that I've steared clear, as it just seemed easier to not have to research the right sites and sellers on those sites.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Friday 7 Apr 2017 5:29 PM
Have used both G2A and Kinguin but not recently (been a year maybe). Mainly used it for buying Windows 8.1 / Windows 10

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 7 Apr 2017 5:29 PM
Haven't heard of Humble Bundle, might have to have a look. I use G2A for Xbox Live because it is cheaper. Only used them a few times, a mate told me about them.

I have read a few complaints about them, mainly about keys not working. Did not realise that there could be keys on there that have been bought using stolen credit card numbers. I might have to rethink using them.

Posted by dr_zox
On Friday 7 Apr 2017 6:56 PM
I use them all the time... Don't judge me lol.

I have legitimate reasons, mainly the fact that we live in NZ is my reason.

We get ripped off soo much with our entertainment costs...

E.g. Battlefield 1 is $99 NZD from EB Games
From USA it is $59 USD ($84 NZD)

(So cheaper in USA)

We should be paying less for a digital copy however
NZD Origin $99
USA Origin $59 ($84)
Russian 1999 Ruble ($50.18)
Because publishers won't undercut stores...

The way I see it is that game publishers put arbitrary prices on per country, and because of so many Middle men we pay much higher prices.

I don't mind buying wholesale, it is the same as buying your product directly from Russia because it is cheaper.

It still supports the developer because they are still selling the game at those prices to those country.

The biggest issue is as Total Biscuit complains the fraudulent use of credit cards to buy game keys.
To me this comes back to the publisher, they should simply cancel the keys that are purchased this way. I am sympathetic to this... however... I don't have any data nor has any been given to show how wide spread this actually is.

If G2a was selling keys that were faulty they would very quickly change their practices.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 7 Apr 2017 7:31 PM
7 April 2017, 06:56 PM Reply to dr_zox
I use them all the time... Don't judge me lol.

I have legitimate reasons, mainly the fact that we live in NZ is my reason.

We get ripped off soo much with our entertainment costs...

E.g. Battlefield 1 is $99 NZD from EB Games
From USA it is $59 USD ($84 NZD)

(So cheaper in USA)

We should be paying less for a digital copy however
NZD Origin $99
USA Origin $59 ($84)
Russian 1999 Ruble ($50.18)
Because publishers won't undercut stores...

"If G2a was selling keys that were faulty they would very quickly change their practices"

Why? It's not on them. They're just a marketplace.

Posted by dr_zox
On Friday 7 Apr 2017 9:05 PM
7 April 2017, 07:31 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn

Why? It's not on them. They're just a marketplace.
Sorry, you might of missed the context on that one.

If publishers began cancelling fraudulent keys, and G2A were selling them they would quickly run out of business...

I think the publishers need to begin cancelling illegally obtained keys

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 7 Apr 2017 11:19 PM
7 April 2017, 09:05 PM Reply to dr_zox
Sorry, you might of missed the context on that one.

I think the publishers need to begin cancelling illegally obtained keys
Some publishers have been revoking keys for years, G2A don't seem to concerned so far.

Posted by RedMich65
On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 2:28 AM
7 April 2017, 11:19 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn
I am using it now & it's awesome! I've signed up for my account and have been bringing in fat paychecks. For real, my first week I made £350 and the 2nd week I doubled it & then it kinda snowballed to £150 a day! just folllow the course.. they will help you out

================> http://JobBuzz7.Com

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 8:22 AM
I'm a big supporter of Humblebundle and I have used greenman gaming once or twice. Normally when steam doesn't have the game. I think it was greenman I got my copy of Worms world party remastered from. It was a gift for my dad and he doesn't have steam.

On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 9:22 AM
8 April 2017, 08:22 AM Reply to Ryzlin
Is humble bundle a key reseller?

Because it's provided directly I'd have thought it's just a seller, no different to EB selling keys or discs, if that makes sense.

I always thought of key resellers being you buy it from steam in Russia or humble bundle then resell it elsewhere.

On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 1:05 PM
8 April 2017, 09:22 AM Reply to drunk_monk
Is humble bundle a key reseller?

As i know they buy strait from the devs, and i doubt eb's prices come close ;D

Posted by Romulus
On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 4:03 PM
Holy crap, I am just finding out about G2A. This place is awesome! :D

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 4:12 PM
8 April 2017, 09:22 AM Reply to drunk_monk
Is humble bundle a key reseller?

I only mentioned it cause is mentioned in the article. :)

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 4:18 PM
8 April 2017, 01:05 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
As i know they buy strait from the devs, and i doubt eb's prices come close ;D
Humble and EB are two very different businesses though. As far as I can tell the reason that humble can go so cheap because they aren't really paying for the games per say. Its a charity while EB is a retail store. Which is something EB knows. Hence why they offer other things like price matching and 7 day returns.

That being said, EB does have it's deals. I remember getting fallout 3 goty on pc for $4.

On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 6:52 PM
8 April 2017, 04:12 PM Reply to Ryzlin
I only mentioned it cause is mentioned in the article. :)
Did too. My bad :)

Posted by RKO_NZ
On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 7:03 PM
For my little use of PC gaming, I have only ever bought straight from Steam, or the Humble Bundle, like last month I bought the bundle for all the Bohemia Arma games, installed Arma 3 and the DLC, gave the rest to friends, Not a consistent user for PC games so don't really feel inclined to criticize re-sellers if they're sticking to rules and not doing anything wrong, but that being said, I've seen articles before where some resellers have had major issues.

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 7:13 PM
8 April 2017, 02:28 AM Reply to RedMich65

================> http://JobBuzz7.Com
Excellent comment, love to see more like this around here. Only a few hundred in the last few months, see if you can get it up in the thousands, NZG loves it.

Posted by Coulovesren
On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 7:42 PM
8 April 2017, 08:22 AM Reply to Ryzlin
Humble Bundle is great plus some of the money you pay goes to charity which is a nice bonus

Posted by xmorph
On Saturday 8 Apr 2017 8:21 PM
Once, to buy a $3 US PSN code for a flash sale as I had about $2 credit in the account and the game was $5.99. Didn't want to have to buy a $10 code from amazon.

Posted by Rocky1986
On Sunday 9 Apr 2017 4:28 AM
I only let the wallet loose on the steam sales. Im happy with how thats turned out. got some good deals.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Sunday 9 Apr 2017 9:12 AM
Are gog.com key resellers? Because I know I'll be buying from them in the future. They are the only people who have vampire the masquerade: redemption.

Posted by ChimeraNZ
On Sunday 9 Apr 2017 11:09 AM
I've used Green Man Gaming in the past (specifically Wildlands), because they have some really good deals - but if people are concerned where the keys are coming from, each game outlines where they are sourced from. GMG has several partnerships with some of the big publishers such as Ubisoft, however some games just say 'Authorised Distributor' (such as Witcher 3). Just a case of: "If you don't trust it, don't use it".

Posted by ChimeraNZ
On Sunday 9 Apr 2017 11:11 AM
9 April 2017, 09:12 AM Reply to Ryzlin
Not sure but they are great for sourcing those old games that you just can't buy any more. And unlike Steam, actually sell the complete version of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 :).

Posted by Vicx
On Friday 14 Apr 2017 2:39 PM
8 April 2017, 08:21 PM Reply to xmorph
wow I didn't know we could buy $3 codes, which site sells them? I always have $5-10 in my PSN accounts as I need to keep spending a minimum of $10 just because I'm $1 short.