The Weekend Chat: Will You Grab Destiny 2 at Launch?

When Destiny first launched in 2014, it had problems. There was a solid shooter at its core, but a lack of meaningful content, progression, and story left a lot of players feeling dissatisfied with Bungie’s efforts.

After some leaked promotional material, it was announced that Destiny 2 would be launching this September for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. A new trailer also hit, hinting at a very different tone for the series – both serious, and comedic. This week, we ask you:

Will you grab Destiny 2 at launch?

Did Bungie make good on their promise for what Destiny could be with the release of its expansions? Do you think the core loot and progression systems will see an overhaul? What would you like to see out of story missions and quests?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by NZGamer
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 4:02 PM
Let's start the weekend right -- here's a PS+ code!

KFR3-DENA-8B7L

For more details to win a truckload of VIP points visit - http://nzgamer.com/competitions/495/vip-bounty-the-big-one.html

Posted by argsy
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 4:10 PM
31 March 2017, 04:02 PM Reply to NZGamer
Let's start the weekend right -- here's a PS+ code!

KFR3-DENA-8B7L

Nice way to start the weekend! Thanks NZGR for the code!

A great big yes to Destiny 2 at launch! Spent many hours and made many great online friends through Destiny. If they have learnt from the past 2-3 years of Destiny, then D2 has the potential to be one of the best sequels.

Posted by Jono91
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 4:14 PM
I'm a yes for launch Destiny. The first wasn't without a few stutters in the beginnings and I'm sure Bungie learnt plenty from it along the way. I still really enjoyed it and do pop the disc back in from time to time to revisit. I'm sure Destiny 2 will be epic, so it's a "yes".

On Friday 31 Mar 2017 4:18 PM
No.... Just no, I've only played Mount and Blade Warband 590 hours!

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 4:36 PM
No, Destiny's launched in an awful state, and while I certainly hope Bungie have learnt this time, I won't be risking it.

Crimsonlion
Posted by Crimsonlion
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 4:49 PM
Yeah, i will pick it up day one; because i'm dumb and don't learn my lesson after being burned.

I bought Destiny day one and sold it a week later. Then I bought it again just before the House of Wolves and i was impressed by how much it changed over the last 3 years.

I am however cautious as a lot of those improvements were implemented by the LIVE team not the active Dev team who have been at work on D2 since D1 went gold and there have been bits and pieces done by High Moon studios to cover lack of man power.

So while I want to be skeptical and wait for the reviews I'm probably going to just buy the PC version and if it sucks its Oh well.

Posted by mongster
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 4:59 PM
Maybe, depending if my wallet will allow me to buy it

Posted by ReaperCrew
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 5:02 PM
If you had asked me last week, I would have said no, not a chance. My opinion today is maybe, however by the time the beta is announced it will probably be a yes, day one player again, despite my reservations.

On Friday 31 Mar 2017 5:57 PM
Because of the fun I had with the NZG community I've been tempted. Nighthawks for life.

But as there is no way I can dedicate to it I've put it off.

On Friday 31 Mar 2017 6:50 PM
Yup Ill likely jump back in.
Though many aspects of vanilla and first 2 expansions were poor, Playing coop was where it was at, especially the Raids.
Hopefully Destiny 2 will be a better released product since Destiny 1 was effectively the beta to it.

Posted by captain X nz
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 7:13 PM
Errrr...okay George.

Seriously, Destiny is a great example of a game I really liked, but stopped playing as soon as I bought all the good stuff.

That said, I can't help myself.

Posted by LukeB
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 7:16 PM
At this stage, I'm 100% waiting on the reviews. The first game's story really annoyed me (even the expansions)... so if it doesn't live up to expectations, then I'll probably skip it.

HOWEVER! IF it turns out that it's an XPA title (shared PvE world between PC and X1)... then I might look at it.... maybe... yeah I still feel really burnt on that story.

Flip-side of everything: I hope there's a joke in Destiny 2 that goes along the lines of The Stranger saying "If only I had explained what I didn't have time to explain, then maybe the last city might have survived".

Posted by guido
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 9:16 PM
Very unlikely as I think I wanted​ something from Destiny that Destiny was never about. I mostly solo'd and so although I loved the exceptional FPS mechanics (has there ever been a more satisfying headshot?) I never did any of the raids and rarely if ever played any of the other multiplayer content. The expansions were an improvement for sure but never really got there for me. So I'll take a wait and see approach.

Posted by Mattress
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 10:33 PM
Yes I will. Love Destiny - enjoying the new Age of Triumph content!

Posted by ricky1981
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 11:56 PM
Already preordered the collectors edition, can't wait :) Yes, it's expensive but if I get even half of the time from it that I put into the first game then it'll be great value.

AudaciousGnome
Posted by AudaciousGnome
On Saturday 1 Apr 2017 8:26 AM
Yes. Game has gotten better with each expansion. I hopefully they'll get it "right" at launch this time and that should make for a great game.

Posted by Paorio
On Saturday 1 Apr 2017 12:58 PM
31 March 2017, 04:18 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
No.... Just no, I've only played Mount and Blade Warband 590 hours!
Are you on a mount and blade binge or something? Your comment seems pretty random

Posted by birdman
On Saturday 1 Apr 2017 2:55 PM
No doubt FOMO will kick in closer to the time so probably yes lol. Can't get left behind and I'll probably be well over BF1 by then, jumping back into Destiny now for the updated raids isn't going to happen though!

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 1 Apr 2017 3:10 PM
I only have one friend who is still playing destiny. I'd consider getting destiny 2 if we played on the same platform, but sadly we do not. So, no I can't see myself getting it at launch.

Posted by Romulus
On Saturday 1 Apr 2017 3:54 PM
I'll may get the game at some stage but not at launch. I pre-ordered and there were too many early issues, I'll wait and see how everyone else reacts this time instead of leading the charge.

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Saturday 1 Apr 2017 7:26 PM
I'm in the wait & see camp & if I get it all it'll most likely be as a pack instead of having to buy the first wave of dlc.... I enjoyed the first game at the start even though it fell well short initially it was fun to play and I made a few online friends. I usually prefer socially interactive games so that made up for the shortcomings.

Posted by hitokirix
On Saturday 1 Apr 2017 9:15 PM
I'll stick with Warframe for all my mmo fps needs :D

Posted by ironfist92
On Sunday 2 Apr 2017 12:43 AM
I prefer to buy my games with the full content and not in the beta state...like many games which release at launch these days. Patch it up, add all the bullsh*t DLC, then I'll consider it during a sale.

Posted by Jonathan-OverWorld
On Sunday 2 Apr 2017 2:43 AM
sh*t no. We purchased 2 copies of the original at launch to play co-op and by the end of the first nights play we knew had made a mistake. It just wasn't very fun, by a week or whatever it was later had just dropped it completely.

This is coming from someone who actually likes MMOs and teh grindingz and FPS games etc - it just wasn't a good either of those things.

Now I've read how much better it got in later years, but honestly there is so much else to play in this world - you've got to impress initially for me to get into it, and Destiny did not. Will the sequel be good? I have no idea, I hope it is for those that are interested in it.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Sunday 2 Apr 2017 11:23 PM
Not going to pre-order but I'm sure I'll end up buying it. As much as the first game lacked content at launch I still had fun playing co-op, that's something Destiny does best.

Posted by drstu
On Monday 3 Apr 2017 7:12 AM
I was going to say no, as I just never seem to have the time to do a game justice. But then, I just passed my finals 2 days ago, and suddenly I...HAVE....TIME!! So, I think a big yes. Teaser trailers so far look a lot of fun and certainly piqued my interest.

Posted by Mockstar
On Monday 3 Apr 2017 9:21 AM
Not at launch.... I'll be waiting for the reviews to roll in

Posted by Coddfish
On Monday 3 Apr 2017 11:46 AM
2 April 2017, 02:43 AM Reply to Jonathan-OverWorld

This is pretty much me. Destiny tried to be some sort of pseudo-MMO, but with seemingly no effort put into looking at what makes MMOs tick and how the genre has come along in the last 10 years. The expansions didn't do much to help this, and there's still no indication that Bungie knows what they're doing in this respect.

My bigger problem with Destiny is that it's just so... soulless. It really felt like a game designed by committee, trying to be all things to all people, and ticking off a checklist about what a Good AAA Game Should Be. It had no identity and no sense of direction, and again, the expansions did nothing to help with that. The first couple of trailers hint at big improvements in Destiny 2 (maybe they hired a director and a narrative designer this time?), but I'm still very, very skeptical.

The whole "teaser trailer to announce a proper trailer" doesn't bode well for the typical Activision approach of marketing oversaturation though, so I expect to be truly sick of hearing about Destiny 2 long before its release.

Posted by czk51
On Tuesday 4 Apr 2017 9:10 AM
Preordered, organizing time off for the beta and day 1. I'm lucky enough to have an awesome fireteam that shares my passion for D1 so really looking forward to the game.

Posted by birdman
On Tuesday 4 Apr 2017 9:51 AM
31 March 2017, 06:50 PM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
Yup Ill likely jump back in.
We need to reassemble B-Team (minus Jor coz he's PC master race now) and get back into raiding!

Posted by Kyimo
On Wednesday 5 Apr 2017 1:51 PM
i'm about 90% in the no camp.

before release they have to PROVE they have learnt anything from the about of feedback about the rubbish state of Destiny 1 + its lackluster "expansion packs".

at the moment they have proven they like your money more then showing you anything, hence the ability to pre-order the first 2 expansions via the super duper idiot edition.

i loved the time spent with the Raid team, but the rest of the game was soulless, the shooting was good but that doesn't carry it alone Bungle.