The Weekend Chat: Pimp My Peripheral

Microsoft announced earlier this week that they were starting another line of custom controllers. The Recon Tech Special Edition features two different types of grip on the front and back, and general changes to the design of its surfaces.

While custom controllers, keyboards, and mice aren’t anything new, they seem to be more ubiquitous this generation. Even Nintendo got in on the ground-floor, offering two versions of the Switch – one with colourful Joy-Cons, and another with sleeker black versions. This week, we ask you:

Do you buy in to custom controllers and keyboards?

Are LEDs and other bells-and-whistles what you want from your peripherals? Or do you prefer something clean and simple? If you could, what re-designs would you bring to other controllers on the market?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Friday 24 Mar 2017 4:23 PM
Not really. The only thing I have for my PS4 controller are thumb grips, purely so the thumb sticks don't wear down.

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 24 Mar 2017 4:24 PM
Clean and simple for me. I trust that the manufacturers have extensively tested their product before release so I will most likely be happy with stock. I think LED's especially would get annoying and distracting.

Having said that, if I was the type of gamer who streams to e.g. Twitch, then customised all the way. LED's, custom triggers, custom sensitivities, the works. The aim would be for it to be a talking point for me with my viewers, a point of difference hopefully that would make them stick around and attract new viewers.

Posted by MonkeyMan
On Friday 24 Mar 2017 5:52 PM
I wish you could customise ps4 controllers they way you can xbones. Would love to change the colours etc to have my own style. At them moment I just have white and red controllers.
Also worth noting I'd be much more comfortable getting something official rather than getting a third party controller or modification

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 24 Mar 2017 6:13 PM
I've got a nice keyboard and mouse, but nothing customized. Want to build a nice <60% keyboard one day though.

Posted by xthesaintx
On Friday 24 Mar 2017 10:36 PM
24 March 2017, 05:52 PM Reply to MonkeyMan
You can get shells, buttons and replacement thumbsticks for the PS4 controllers of eBay pretty cheap.. I've replaced both thumbsticks with aluminum ones.

On Saturday 25 Mar 2017 10:10 AM
I just stick to the official controllers, 3rd party ones I've always found something doesn't feel right or work right.
As for painting, decals etc in your controller I find that as stupid as the vagazzling trend lol

Posted by guido
On Saturday 25 Mar 2017 10:46 AM
Pretty much stick to original stuff. I just got thumb stick grips because I'd worn out a grip on a left DS4 stick. Also, for playing Breath of the Wild I bought an Afterglow "Pro" controller that is transparent and has blue LEDs.

But I've never sprung for a custom/aftermarket paint job/button mods. Have been tempted to get a custom PS4 controller but price usually puts me off.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 25 Mar 2017 11:02 AM
Let me put it this way, I got a black widow chroma keyboard for Christmas for a PC I still haven't bought.

Posted by MadDudeHorse
On Saturday 25 Mar 2017 10:46 PM
I enjoy my Elite Controller for Xbox One and always fid it useful to have a button or two macro'd to my mouse when on PC

Posted by jmduknz
On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 11:35 AM
Other than thumb grips to cover the eroded rubber i've not pimped. Occasionally I look at the custom scuff controllers and imagine a new set up. Then I remember how bad I am at games and how that sort of precision would be wasted on me.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 3:23 PM
Clean and simple for sure

Posted by arkwright
On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 7:16 PM
Got a Logitech G710+ keyboard last year, made me realise how crappy my previous plastic fantastics were. I do like a responsive mouse also but anything with more than four buttons makes me shudder.

Posted by Seraphim
On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 8:15 PM
always liked the look of scuf controllers and the customizable options available but never actually brought one.

Posted by Mockstar
On Wednesday 29 Mar 2017 4:53 PM
The obsession with lights on PC peripherals has always confused me. It seems like it would be a distraction to me

Posted by Maoriboy
On Friday 31 Mar 2017 1:48 PM
Love my Logitech G900 mouse. Not too fussed on the RGBness of it, but the response time etc far exceeds my previous mouse. Next purchase is a decent keyboard to replace the G110.