The Weekend Chat: Classic Games with a Fresh Coat of Paint

Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap – a remake of the 1989 Sega Master System game – received a release date this week. The action-platformer is notable for being more than a simple HD-ification of older sprites and art; developer Lizardcube have created wholly new assets in the style of the original release.

As HD remasters and remakes become more ubiquitous, the method in which they’re presented has changed. No longer content with scanline and CRT filters, developers have taken to emulating the sense of nostalgia that those classics conjure up. This week, we ask you:

What classic games would you like to see take this approach?

Maybe something like the first Legend of Zelda? Do you think there’s space for 3D games to get this treatment too? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by Bunnny
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 4:27 PM
I still play Super Mario World and Sonic and Knuckles. They look fine.

Posted by LukeB
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 5:19 PM
I would love to see a modern version of Action Quake 2.... I know it's a mod, but it was the "game" I could always return to, so I would love to see a fresh version of it, but with ALL the same physics and idiosyncrasies.

Posted by Karrde
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 5:23 PM
I played a ton of Genesia when I was growing up and would love a new version of it - it looks like one is in development but it feels like it's a bit dead which is sad.

Posted by Paorio
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 5:34 PM
I love the new coats of paint

On Friday 10 Mar 2017 5:36 PM
Abolutely, I love new old games.

But how ironic is it that we think about old games like FF7 becoming "new" while new games try to look old, i.e. awesome indie games.

Its this weird line where an old game looking old can be bad, a new game looking l'd can be amazing, and an old game looking new can be amazing.

Excuse my rambling, my belly is full of beer, and its a big belly!

Posted by Ryzlin
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 5:59 PM
I'd love to see Pugsy or Sly Raccoon.

Posted by Ron
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 7:20 PM
10 March 2017, 04:27 PM Reply to Bunnny
I still play Super Mario World and Sonic and Knuckles. They look fine.
Amen to that ;-)

Posted by ptys
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 8:38 PM
I can understand why most prefer pixel art to the painted art style but I think there is a happy medium. What happened to the pixel art of the 32bit error? Feel that was passed up in favor of polygons. No real remakes I'm hoping for, this does look cool, so does Sonic Mania. Go SEGA!

Posted by dsinnz
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 10:26 PM
10 March 2017, 05:59 PM Reply to Ryzlin
I'd love to see Pugsy or Sly Raccoon.
Puggsy hd! Now Theres a forgotten classic underrated for sure. Alex the Kidd anybody?

Posted by SinuousPanic
On Saturday 11 Mar 2017 3:15 AM
10 March 2017, 10:26 PM Reply to dsinnz
I hate to be 'that guy' but it was actually Alex Kidd. No 'the' in between. Mind blowing I know, but there it is.

On Saturday 11 Mar 2017 5:47 AM
I want a remaster of Kung Fu Chaos.

Posted by dsinnz
On Saturday 11 Mar 2017 8:22 AM
11 March 2017, 03:15 AM Reply to SinuousPanic
Good call! Shame on me.

Posted by AdamC
On Saturday 11 Mar 2017 11:05 AM
10 March 2017, 05:36 PM Reply to drunk_monk
Abolutely, I love new old games.

Excuse my rambling, my belly is full of beer, and its a big belly!
I think ps1 and n64 games need remakes more than swag and snes games. They really didn't age well.

Posted by AdamC
On Saturday 11 Mar 2017 11:05 AM
11 March 2017, 11:05 AM Reply to AdamC
Sega autocorrects to swag? Hmm

Posted by Booker_T_SUCKAAA
On Saturday 11 Mar 2017 12:08 PM
My two cents is if Hollywood can 'upgrade' old-school movies, then the gaming world is a free for all.

I'd love to see some of the games from my childhood, that I have bought on the Playstation Store like Alex Kidd in Miracle World. This platform game still plays well today, and I think that should be a key criteria, rather than just nostalgia..

Posted by ChimeraNZ
On Saturday 11 Mar 2017 12:18 PM
10 March 2017, 04:27 PM Reply to Bunnny
I still play Super Mario World and Sonic and Knuckles. They look fine.
Yeeeees classic Sonic FTW! Speaking of, I only just heard about Sonic Mania - that's what I'm talking about :P

Posted by jmduknz
On Saturday 11 Mar 2017 12:41 PM
I'm not sure there would be much of a market but I'd plump for the 'dizzy' games from the spectrum era. I remember putting the standard cassette tapes into the player and the fax machine noise as it loaded up. Simple puzzle based gameplay and you're a walking egg!

Posted by kiwibadboy
On Saturday 11 Mar 2017 1:07 PM
Remakes and remasters are absolutely awesome. I'm pumped for Yakuza: Kiwami (a remake of the very first Yakuza).
The Parappa The Rapper and Crash Bandicoot remakes also got me hooked because I loved those games as a kid.

Others that I'd like to see remakes for are probably the original Gran Turismo, Yakuza 2, pre-San Andreas GTA games (Vice City/Stories, Liberty City/Stories, GTA 3), and probably a few others I can't think of right now.

Posted by shadowshaded
On Saturday 11 Mar 2017 4:09 PM
Looking forward to the wonder boy 3 remake. Switching between 8 bit and HD graphics with the push of a button looks awesome.

Posted by MadDudeHorse
On Sunday 12 Mar 2017 10:29 PM
Really enjoyed the recent Day Of The Tentacle reskin / remake. Would like to see the likes of The Island Of Doctor Brain again.

Posted by dsinnz
On Monday 13 Mar 2017 2:19 AM
The Curse of Monkey Island would be a nostalgic treat.

Posted by Newsboy
On Monday 13 Mar 2017 8:10 AM
10 March 2017, 05:23 PM Reply to Karrde
Genesia. Now there's a name I have not heard in a long time. Would love a new version of this.

Posted by czk51
On Monday 13 Mar 2017 9:12 AM
Thunderforce IV for the music alone.

Posted by cortez72
On Monday 13 Mar 2017 12:05 PM
12 March 2017, 10:29 PM Reply to MadDudeHorse
Full Throttle is getting remastered, and should be released this year. Very excited for that, and I've got my box of bunnies ready.

Otherwise, I know it's not the weekend anymore, but some titles I would love to see get a new coat of paint would be Landstalker and Streets of Rage 2.

I know Xbox1 got Guardian Heroes HD which I wish would come over to PS4.

On Monday 13 Mar 2017 12:56 PM
Not sure what else Id would be happy with from that gen, but I was suuuuper stoked to read Wonder Boy - didnt really think that would happen tbh. Man I probably put more hours into that series on my Sega Master System 2 than any other game,
Played alot of RPGs too like Miracle Warriors, Ultima 4, Golden Axe Warrior, Golvellius, Phantasy Star - I would love to play them ALL again, remakes would be amazing

Posted by Coulovesren
On Saturday 18 Mar 2017 8:20 PM
Spyro but just the first three before the extra element breaths and Sparx speaking English