Here Are Some Things that May Be Interfering with Your Switch’s Joy-Con

Here Are Some Things that May Be Interfering with Your Switch’s Joy-Con

If you’ve been experiencing drops in connectivity between your Joy-Con controller and Switch console, Nintendo have released some steps to help resolve the issue. The problem appears to be direct line-of-sight between the system itself and the controller, but wireless interference also seems to be a factor.

Here are some of the locations that Nintendo recommends you avoid placing your Switch:

• Behind a TV
  • Near an aquarium
  • Placed in or under a metal object
  • Pressed against a large amount of wires and cords
  • Within three to four feet of another wireless device, such as a wireless speaker or a wireless access point.

And here are some objects that can cause interference, which they recommend turning off.

• Laptops, tablets, etc.
  • Wireless headsets
  • Wireless printers
  • Microwaves
  • Wireless speakers
  • Cordless phones
  • USB 3.0-compatible devices such as hard drives, thumb drives, LAN adapters, etc.

It’s also recommended that you use the latest firmware update for the Switch.

Nintendo contacted Polygon regarding the issue, saying that they are “looking into it,” and will “make improvements when necessary.”

Have you been having connectivity issues with your Joy-Con? Let us know in the comments below!

Posted by AdamC
On Monday 6 Mar 2017 3:13 PM
Don't you need a tablet/phone to use the online feature?
I think it's nessecary to make improvements now Nintendo.

Posted by guido
On Monday 6 Mar 2017 3:48 PM
I've noticed my Dualshock 4 goes crazy sometimes if it doesn't have a direct line of sight. Doesn't happen often but holding it up in clear view/line of the camera/console stops it going nuts immediately?!

Posted by pigeonqueen
On Monday 6 Mar 2017 4:09 PM
Fish > Switch

Breath of the Wild on WiiU it is then!

Posted by xmorph
On Monday 6 Mar 2017 4:13 PM
I found back when I had a wireless keyboard and mouse, whenever I had an Xbox One controller turned on and sitting nearby, it would mess with the keyboard and miss a lot of the key inputs. Back to wired now and not a single problem.

On Monday 6 Mar 2017 4:17 PM
Sounds like you have to put it on a pedestral in the middle of the lounge then away from everything lol

Posted by Ryzlin
On Monday 6 Mar 2017 5:12 PM
6 March 2017, 04:17 PM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
Pretty sure the Switch has already been put on a pedestal.

Posted by guido
On Monday 6 Mar 2017 5:18 PM
6 March 2017, 04:17 PM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
Yeah, I'll typically have a PS3, PS4, Wii U & all their wireless controllers, Mac mini, Chromecast, smartphone, laptop plus wifi router getting them all talking together?! Would need a suspension rig hanging Switch from ceiling in middle of the room!? :-D

Posted by Mockstar
On Monday 6 Mar 2017 6:41 PM
Sounds like all product testing was done in sterile environments with nothing else around

On Monday 6 Mar 2017 7:05 PM
6 March 2017, 04:17 PM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
Pretty sure a pedestal will interfere with the joy-cons.

Posted by RSNZ64
On Monday 6 Mar 2017 7:50 PM
Has anyone here got one? I am tempted to get one just for breath of the wild

Posted by hitokirix
On Monday 6 Mar 2017 11:02 PM
Haven't had any problems with mine, mostly been using the pro controller to play zelda, even had a power outage for half a day yesterday just pulled it outta the dock and continued on playing :)

Posted by FreddlePopGameS
On Monday 6 Mar 2017 11:36 PM
6 March 2017, 11:02 PM Reply to hitokirix
Same here. No sync problems at all with the Joycons. I've used all control input methods for Zelda but like you I use the Pro Controller. It has man buttons.
That's not to say the Joycon grip controller is bad. I actually really liked playing that way too, but man buttons wins the day.

Loving the console too. Can't wait for Splatoon 2 weekend at the end of March.

Posted by ptys
On Tuesday 7 Mar 2017 7:28 AM
Well this is not good, one of the down sides of early adoption.

On Tuesday 7 Mar 2017 10:51 AM
6 March 2017, 07:05 PM Reply to drunk_monk
Pretty sure a pedestal will interfere with the joy-cons.
Haha yeah didn't think of that with my hasty room planning for my Switch install.... mayde like Guido says above a suspension rig might be better then, dangle it with nylon fishing line from the ceiling in the middle of the lounge it is then. Glad I got you consultants involved, I await your invoice.

Posted by Ron
On Tuesday 7 Mar 2017 3:15 PM
Had a small issue w/ my left controller last night whilst playing snippets.

Posted by FreddlePopGameS
On Tuesday 7 Mar 2017 9:08 PM
7 March 2017, 03:15 PM Reply to Ron
Had a small issue w/ my left controller last night whilst playing snippets.
Was it a major issue Ron or something momentary and minuscule?

I took my console to show someone it with 1-2 switch. While playing the safe cracking game i felt like the joycon was a little off response wise but it was barely noticeable and I couldn't tell if it was the actual controller or just me.

At my home with the dock and even in handheld mode I haven't had any issues.

Posted by Bank
On Wednesday 8 Mar 2017 12:01 PM
Goddamn! Everyone needs more USB3 stuff though. What even is that recommendation.

Cazallum
Posted by Cazallum
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 10:45 AM
I haven't had any connectivity issues.

Posted by gooseman77
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 12:08 PM
They forgot "take off your tinfoil hat...

Karrde
Posted by Karrde
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 3:55 PM
More evidence of the early-adopter risk factor. I'm guilty of it too, but I'm glad I resisted on this one after seeing the issues people are hitting. In saying that, a workmate has one and hasn't had any problems (so far).