The Weekend Chat: Game Pass and Chill

Earlier this week Microsoft announced the Xbox Game Pass program. Coming in at $10.95 per month, the service will offer gamers a library of titles to download as they please. Like Netflix, the list of available games will grow and change over time.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen services like this. PlayStation Now is offered by Sony, allowing users to stream PS3 games to their PS4. OnLive was a cloud-based service, which allowed subscribers to stream games in a similar fashion. This week, we ask you:

Do you think we’ll be seeing more Netflix-like solutions for games in the future?

As internet speeds get faster, the idea of downloading an entire game – or streaming one – is less of a concern. If these models prove popular, do you think we'll see consoles transitioning to offer games as services, instead of products? Or do you think one-time purchases will reign supreme?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by SinuousPanic
On Friday 3 Mar 2017 5:53 PM
I've been subscribed to EA Access for about a year, it's pretty good but the Xbox version has a much smaller library than the PC version. I'll wait and see with Xbox Game Pass since I already own all the games I currently want. Generally I think it's a good thing I just hope they don't start doing to game devs what Spotify did to music.

On Friday 3 Mar 2017 6:45 PM
Was never a fan of the streaming type services due to the limitations it suffers with gaming ie input latency, lag etc.
Been wondering for awhile when this sort of thing would hit the gaming market, sub and download like a rental, didnt think it would quite be this soon but I like it and hope to see it gain support, build a solid base and evolve.
I personally see myself going this way in the future. Im not the physical copy collector type guy so digital suits me and subbing to something like this is even more up my alley.

On Friday 3 Mar 2017 11:11 PM
As someone with over 600 games i prefer this way.

Posted by AdamC
On Saturday 4 Mar 2017 8:15 AM
3 March 2017, 11:11 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
As someone with over 600 games i prefer this way.
How many of those are unplayed or have less than a couple hours in them? I wish I had the time to have that many games lol

Posted by Paorio
On Saturday 4 Mar 2017 1:42 PM
4 March 2017, 08:15 AM Reply to AdamC
It's a horrible addiction, buying games on steam and humble bundles

On Saturday 4 Mar 2017 2:47 PM
4 March 2017, 08:15 AM Reply to AdamC
30% are unplayed, Which i think is pretty good. sometimes i just don't feel like playing them.

Mafivee
Posted by Mafivee
On Sunday 5 Mar 2017 7:15 AM
I have too many great games and not enough time to play them as it is, so I'll pass. I do think it will be a great feature for newcomers to the console to bolster their library right off the bat as does EA Access, or even help branch out to play other titles that would not have been thought of otherwise.

Posted by Paorio
On Sunday 5 Mar 2017 12:27 PM
4 March 2017, 02:47 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Yeah that's pretty damn impressive

Posted by gooseman77
On Friday 10 Mar 2017 12:10 PM
I'll pass on the pass and stare at my hard copy collection while I pleasure myself...