Minecraft Sells Over 120M Worldwide

Minecraft Sells Over 120M Worldwide

Minecraft – the blocky builder, which rose to prominence in 2011 – has sold 122 million copies worldwide, developer Mojang announced. The company also noted that 55 million players are logging in every month.

As Gamasutra points out, the game’s last official sales figures – which were released in June 2016 – sat at 106 million. That means the game has been sold 16 million times in the eight months since that news.

It’s unclear which platform these new purchases have gone towards. Last year, 19 percent of players in the US picked the game up on PC, while 41 and 40 percent grabbed it on mobile and console respectively. In Europe, 29 percent opted for PC, with 36 and 35 percent for mobile and console.

Minecraft has been released on multiple systems since its launch in 2011, including PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U.

Posted by FreddlePopGameS
On Tuesday 28 Feb 2017 7:48 PM
I tried to play it and found it tedious and boring, but 120 million sold is damn impressive.

My little nephews absolutely love it and I'm sure if I were 25 years younger I would too. Well done Minecraft!.

Posted by captain X nz
On Tuesday 28 Feb 2017 9:45 PM
Still surprised theres no 3DS version.

Posted by guido
On Wednesday 1 Mar 2017 9:54 AM
I own a PS4 and Android version and I'd bet a lot of fans own more than one copy on PC/Mac, console or mobile (and possibly more than one console or mobile version). But either way you cut it 122 MIL is incredible?!?

Posted by ptys
On Wednesday 1 Mar 2017 6:56 PM
I've been waiting since the beta for them to get better art, years later clearly not going to happen.

Posted by SkylineObsession
On Wednesday 8 Mar 2017 6:25 PM
28 February 2017, 07:48 PM Reply to FreddlePopGameS

It's not just a game for kids, it's a game for creative people no matter how old or young (i/m in my 30's).

For me it's a great way to release ideas i have. Like building a Minecraft version of my dream house, or building new/fancy houses in a realistic way. Or creating fancy mazes/labyrinths, or a city. Recently started working on an amusement park and plan to put in a 'rollercoaster' ride.

Some people create Minecraft versions of paintings, anime or video game characters.

But yeah, if you're not creative in that sort of way, then you likely will find it boring.

Unless you follow the 'storyline' - not that there is one - by building up/mining resources so you can reach the 'end' of the game and fight the Ender Dragon.