The Weekend Chat: Console Launch Line-ups

Nintendo unveiled the launch details of their latest console, the Switch, last week. We managed to get some hands-on time with the device, which marries the portable and home experiences. While a new console is all well and good, most launches are only as successful as the software line-up accompanying them.

The Switch’s line-up might look slim, but the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild promises to be a substantial, open-world experience. Maybe it isn’t always a matter of quantity, as much as it is quality. So this week, we ask you:

What were some of your favourite launch games?

What games justified your purchase? Which ones perfectly showed off what the new hardware could do? What are some of your fondest memories?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 20 Jan 2017 4:21 PM
Perfect Dark Zero for the Xbox 360. I remember there was a bus decked out with consoles touring the country before launch so people could have a go. That game was awesome.

Posted by FreddlePopGameS
On Friday 20 Jan 2017 5:25 PM
My first day one console was an N64 and from that it was Super Mario 64 and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

These are my faves from consoles and games I've purchased on day one they realeased::
PS2 - SSX and Tekken Tag Tournament.
GameCube - Luigi's Mansion, Burnout, Super Monkey Ball and Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2.
GBA - Super Mario Advance.
NDS - Super Mario 64 DS
Wii - The legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
3DS - Super Street Fighter 4: 3D edition.
WiiU - New Super Mario Bros U and Zombi U.
Xbox One - Battlefield 4 and Killer Instinct.

PS3, PS4, Xbox and X360 I purchased between 2-6 months after they released.

Posted by ptys
On Friday 20 Jan 2017 11:59 PM
Tekken Tag for the PS2? That's pretty much all I remember, consoles take about two years to get good software and a fair price IMO.

On Saturday 21 Jan 2017 2:12 AM
I remember the ps4 launch had like 5 games, xbox was worse.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Posted by 163Battery
On Saturday 21 Jan 2017 7:00 AM
Can the admins do anything about these spammers?

Posted by SecludedCrayon
On Saturday 21 Jan 2017 8:31 AM
Project Gotham Racing 3 on Xbox360 was an awesome title to launch with, I put a stack of time into that game.
And of course with the 360 getting delayed in NZ we also got Oblivion at launch. :)

Posted by Wertbag
On Saturday 21 Jan 2017 10:39 AM
Don't know about launch day, never been keen on the initial high release price. My purchase with the consoles have always been 3rd person adventure; Tomb raider, uncharted, assassins creed and shadow of mordor. I did pick up the original Tekken on PS1 which is the only fighting game I've ever bought, amazed at the time how identical to the arcade version it was.

Posted by Coddfish
On Saturday 21 Jan 2017 1:26 PM
Has any console ever had a good launch day line-up? There's usually one or two good games, a bunch of previous-gen ports, a few gimmicky tech demos, and a bit of shovelware. Switch isn't looking any different or worse.

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Saturday 21 Jan 2017 3:31 PM
21 January 2017, 07:00 AM Reply to 163Battery
Can the admins do anything about these spammers?
Nah they can't, I've bought this up plenty of times and even emailed them about it, which of course was ignored. They don't give a f**k, probably something to with that Yoobee design school, spam only started after NZG got into cahoots with them. They are probably being payed for it even. f**king useless.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Posted by NZGamer
On Saturday 21 Jan 2017 7:04 PM
21 January 2017, 07:00 AM Reply to 163Battery
Can the admins do anything about these spammers?
Yep, we made a couple of changes today and will make an update to get rid of the spammers next week.

Posted by 163Battery
On Saturday 21 Jan 2017 7:19 PM
21 January 2017, 07:04 PM Reply to NZGamer
Cheers team.

Posted by baileynz
On Monday 23 Jan 2017 1:14 AM
I think there were only a couple of games for the N64 at launch being Pilotwings 64 and Super Mario 64. Obviously Mario was incredible but I do remember being addicted to Pilotwings too.

Posted by Wozza
On Monday 23 Jan 2017 10:51 AM
23 January 2017, 01:14 AM Reply to baileynz
Don't forget Wave Race!

Posted by ammythomas16
On Sunday 29 Jan 2017 12:00 PM
20 January 2017, 04:21 PM Reply to 163Battery
I get paid £82 every hour from online joobs. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my friend AB is earning £9k monthly by doing this job and she showed me how. Try it out on following website..

========>>>> http://www.newsnet20.com