The Weekend Chat: What’s Your Favourite Game Music?

Earlier this week we interviewed Gavin Dunne, aka Miracle of Sound; a composer and musician who creates work based around the games that he plays. While some game music can be totally forgettable and utilitarian, some tunes manage to stick with us for years.

Be it the Final Fantasy fanfare and victory tune, the iconic Battlefield 1942 theme, or the Illusive Man’s leitmotif in Mass Effect, there’s a wealth of memorable musical. A good soundtrack can also elevate a scene or section, making it more impactful. This week, we ask you:

What’s some of your favourite game music?

What games were made better by their soundtrack? Were any scenes in particular made more memorable through their addition?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by Xaphriel
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 4:21 PM
Skyrim has always been my go-to.. If I'm lounging around the house reading, or just want some chill background music, it's just as good IRL as it is in Skyrim.

The Asssassin's Creed series also has some stellar tracks, especially the main themes of Brotherhood and Black Flag.

But when I stepped out of the first elevator in DOOM, the shotgun c*cked with the music, and those guitars swept in, I fell in love. Best. Soundtrack. Ever.

Posted by Xaphriel
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 4:22 PM
13 January 2017, 04:21 PM Reply to Xaphriel

Oh hell, and shout out to The Wolven Storm, Priscilla's song in The Witcher 3. Glorious vocal track that fits perfectly in universe, and I often sing to my cats because I'm crazy.

Posted by Tin-Automaton
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 4:39 PM
I play this song whenever I'm on a tight deadline:

Posted by darklordfoamy
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 4:58 PM
There are so many video game soundtracks I like Killer Instinct, the musou warrior soundtracks, DOOM and Metal Gear Rising.

But every since I heard it there is only one soundtrack and one song I listen to usually when I play a strategy game and that is C&C Red Alert or to be more precise this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5X69vREAg .

Posted by Paorio
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 5:16 PM
Final Fantasy IX Melodies of Life is freakin amazing, the prelude for every ff game is always great, the music in persona is always funky, that one undertale song is awesome, oh and I also can't forget priscilla's song from the witcher 3 (good catch Xaphriel)

Posted by Jaws8u4t
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 5:26 PM
With out a doubt Skyrim for me.

Posted by piratemonkey
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 5:58 PM
Star Control 2 and its catchy midi themes for each race

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 6:01 PM
Doom has a killer soundtrack, industrial metal while kicking demon arse just works perfectly.

Posted by emetic
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 6:12 PM
13 January 2017, 05:58 PM Reply to piratemonkey
Star Control 2 and its catchy midi themes for each race
Yusssssssss good call!

Posted by emetic
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 6:19 PM
Gran Turismo 5 was really good, though even with the 200ish tracks it would get tired after so many hours.
The credits with smashing pumpkins' 1979 playing over a real life casual-speed lap around Nurburgring at sunrise was super nice too.

Game music mostly gets turned off though; I hate the inevitable repetition so I'd rather have a custom soundtrack or nothing.

Posted by SinuousPanic
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 6:38 PM
Most of FF VII was awesome, they did a good job of setting time with it. As for scene impact, Halo. Really gets the blood pumping when you come out of a tunnel in a scorpion and see a full scale Covenant attack going on ahead of you and that music starts up. It was also the opening theme. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Halo+1+music&view=detail&mid=ECBBB562D93E33F64A91ECBBB562D93E33F64A91&FORM=VRRTAP&vrvid=ECBBB562D93E33F64A91ECBBB562D93E33F64A91%3bB4F831018C63A42C1C2DB4F831018C63A42C1C2D (excuse the bing search, Windows Phone.)

Posted by Savarius
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 7:55 PM
I have a few soundtracks that I listen to from time to time. Witcher 3 is fantastic you can tell how much work went into that sound design.

Halo Combat Evolved used music so well, that last level is amazing in large part because of the music. Destiny has some instances of music being used for suspense or excitement, even if it is mostly ambient.

I got interested in the Nintendo DS game The World Ends With You, because I liked the music so much when my friend was playing it. That game is still my favorite DS game probably because of how well the music fits the setting.

Posted by trun39
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 8:02 PM
For me it's Bastion.

I had never really paid attention to music in games but when I finished the game, that end song hit me so hard unexpectedly. It was so beautiful and sad. I bought the soundtrack and now pay attention to music in other games.

I also love the nostalgia you get when you replay old games and hear the music again. The older tomb raider games and bust-a-groove from the ps1 :)

On Friday 13 Jan 2017 8:32 PM
13 January 2017, 04:39 PM Reply to Tin-Automaton
I play this song whenever I'm on a tight deadline:

That song is astounding.

On Friday 13 Jan 2017 8:33 PM

Absolutely loved this song and the opening cut scene to FFX. Such an awesome way to kick off a game for the first time.

Posted by Dvst8u
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 9:08 PM
Ff7 hands down

Posted by LukeB
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 9:28 PM
The kind of game music I like is the kind that I can have playing in the house, and people think it's "real music".

Halo, and Uncharted are some of my favourites though.

In fact, I legitimately bought the Halo 3 soundtrack for my grandmother. She had never seen the game, but I had it playing when she came by one day and she liked it - it was in her CD Player until the day she passed.

Posted by Coddfish
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 9:57 PM
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild Aaaaaaaaaaaarms 3!

Honestly, anything from Michiko Naruke, but Wild Arms 3 especially.
Final Fantasy's good, too.

Posted by ptys
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 10:38 PM
Google Mass Effect - Noveria by Jack Wall.

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 13 Jan 2017 11:18 PM
Halo soundtrack and The Witcher 3 soundtrack. And the victory tune from FF7.

On Friday 13 Jan 2017 11:40 PM
Doom music is badass.

Posted by thc4108
On Saturday 14 Jan 2017 9:08 AM
Killer Instinct ,Street Fighter ,FF7 & 8, Mass Effect ,Dragon Age Origins ,Mega Man games all got tracks which bring back great video game memories for me.

Posted by captain X nz
On Saturday 14 Jan 2017 6:50 PM
The opening theme from Oblivion will always have a special place. Those early days (and later nights) with etc xbox360...

Posted by temungbean
On Saturday 14 Jan 2017 7:22 PM
Not necessarily music made specifically for a game, but I love the eclectic mix of music on the Grand Theft Auto games. Vice City's soundtrack particularly stands out for me. Hearing some of those songs on the radio just instantly makes me think of that game.

Posted by Killjoy
On Saturday 14 Jan 2017 8:35 PM
Wipeout 2097, the ability to play my own music wins over any other option.

Posted by Booker_T_SUCKAAA
On Sunday 15 Jan 2017 6:29 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Master System) Green Hill Zone. It makes me want to go, go, go!

Posted by mOnStErSoFpUnK
On Sunday 15 Jan 2017 12:11 PM
My favourite is the entire Fallout 3 soundtrack...great music to clean to for some odd reason

Posted by FreddlePopGameS
On Sunday 15 Jan 2017 5:37 PM
I love anything from Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Last Story) anything from Koji Kondo (The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Starfox) and I love the music from Metal Gear Solid series with a shout out to Harry Gregson-Williams pieces.

Posted by ericaf95
On Monday 16 Jan 2017 12:43 PM
I've been playing FFX music while driving around in FFXV. It's a bit adorable.

Posted by dylnut
On Tuesday 17 Jan 2017 6:32 PM
13 January 2017, 08:02 PM Reply to trun39
For me it's Bastion.

Bastion for me too, hands down. I can't get enough of Setting Sail, Coming Home - listen to it all the damn time, and the album as a whole makes for brilliant study or concentration music ^-^

Posted by twisterjamz
On Tuesday 17 Jan 2017 11:24 PM
Shatter will always but one of my favourite game music, Super Mario Galaxy music is awesome as well, favourite from the game would have to be Rosalinas Observatory (all versions)