The Weekend Chat: Gaming Habits

We’ve talked about what games you’ve managed to cross off your backlog as we enter 2017 – which, by all accounts isn’t as many games as some of you would like.

But as people make (and break) resolutions as a New Year rolls out, does any of that mentality extend to your gaming habits? This week, we ask you:

What are some gaming habits you want to break, change, or give up as 2017 progresses?

Maybe playing more support roles in MOBAs or team-based shooters? Testing the waters with more indie games? Giving up on rage quitting?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by LukeB
On Friday 6 Jan 2017 4:28 PM
I'd love to stop buying games I only have a passing desire to play - especially when I have so many games to play that I'd actually like to. More and more often I'm finding the pre-order dlc/incentives aren't worth it, so I'm not entirely sure why I don't just wait until I actually want to play it before picking it up.

I guess it feels a little weird to not have the game in my collection, just in case I DO want to give it a shot - then it's there, ready to go at the drop of a coin. Or maybe it has to do with wanting to have the ability to be a part of the conversation in those early days... still, need to stop it, lol. (At the very least with the games I'd not convinced I'll have the time to play.)

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 6 Jan 2017 4:50 PM
When it comes to games, I always find myself trying to finish side quests, get all collectibles etc. before starting on main story. I reckon I am kind of ruining my enjoyment of the game by doing that but can't help it.

I also find myself thinking how much longer till I finish so I can play the next one. Never mind if it is a really good game I am playing and I should just enjoy it. Kind of ruins the enjoyment for me again but again, can't help it.

Posted by Bank
On Friday 6 Jan 2017 9:21 PM
I need to break the habit of starting every game on the hardest difficulty and proceeding to go for the Platinum.
I'm streaming now and trying to build a community of viewers -- and that sh*t can get boring fast if I don't understand the game quick enough.

Heh, RIP. Gotta' get through all the backlogs with the viewers!

That being said; I've finally bought every single game that I need to and am at a good mental platform. Now there's only a couple more must-have's for this year, to tick off the list.

Posted by Metdevil
On Friday 6 Jan 2017 9:23 PM
6 January 2017, 09:21 PM Reply to Bank

Heh, RIP. Gotta' get through all the backlogs with the viewers!

I'm really bad for this, but I am getting better. New Years Gaming Resolution: The game comes before trophies :p

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Friday 6 Jan 2017 9:49 PM
6 January 2017, 09:23 PM Reply to Metdevil
Used to do the same, ends up ruining the experience of just enjoying the game most of the time. I don't even bother specifically going for trophies/achievements anymore and my gaming enjoyment is much better for it.

Posted by ptys
On Friday 6 Jan 2017 10:25 PM
Playing games at certain times of the day, like late evenings and weekends only. More time for study and creative projects.

On Friday 6 Jan 2017 10:37 PM
Maybe playing more Carry in Dota because im always on support, annnnd sleep less.

On Friday 6 Jan 2017 10:38 PM
6 January 2017, 09:23 PM Reply to Metdevil
A lot of games it's easy to get 50% Achievements if you just play the game. i only aim for 50% because it's reasonable and every game at 100% is impossible, unless you only play games with doable achievements.

Posted by Ryzlin
On Saturday 7 Jan 2017 9:07 AM
Much like Luke, I need to slow down both my game buying and my game merch buying. When you work in a retail environment with video games there's a certain culture sound preording and buying the latest games. Now that I've left is easier to only preorder the games I know I want day one. And pops because otherwise they are impossible to get your hands on.

If anyone is like Luke and I, and really wants to cut down on the games they want to get day one I'd advise picking a few that take your interest now coming out in 2017 and trying to stay focused on those. Currently my list is only mass effect Andromeda ( of which I have the rc nomad edition preordered), crash bandicoot and mayyyybe red dead 2. I've had to take a couple of games like for honor and resident evil 7 off my list because I just won't play them when they release.

Posted by 163Battery
On Saturday 7 Jan 2017 11:36 AM
6 January 2017, 09:23 PM Reply to Metdevil
That's a good one. I like getting achievements and I will check the achievements list when I start a game to see what is there. If I can get achievements within the game by e.g. X amount of kills with X weapon, without it making the game noticeably more difficult or less fun I will do it. But I never let that be the focus.

My gamer score on Xbox is pretty decent now but mainly because I have between gaming for a long time. Actually, anyone know if there is some kind of world ranking table for gamer score? I know I won't be anywhere near the top but would be interesting to see where I am placed.

Posted by 163Battery
On Saturday 7 Jan 2017 11:38 AM
7 January 2017, 11:36 AM Reply to 163Battery

*been not between*'

Posted by Jakted
On Saturday 7 Jan 2017 11:44 AM
i need to stop buying games that i dont get around to playing straight away. iv just currently started a new job and been real busy through the xmas period but have been playing Mafia 3 and i like it! got some good games coming out this year so it should be great.

Posted by Mafivee
On Saturday 7 Jan 2017 1:02 PM
Keeping things minimal and controllable is my goal along with playing more online multiplayer.

Too often I find myself with too much to play and not enough time to properly give them the time and dedication they deserve.

Over the last couple years my online multiplayer time and enjoyment has dropped significantly in favour of single player, so I'll be trying to get back into that a bit more for sure.

Posted by emetic
On Saturday 7 Jan 2017 1:51 PM
I'm pretty good with it currently, no need to change anything.

Posted by Mattress
On Saturday 7 Jan 2017 3:08 PM
6 January 2017, 09:49 PM Reply to Nick2016NZ
Here is how I managed to find a balance: I played the game first without thinking about achievements/trophies at all. If I liked the game enough to play it through a second time (or to do some achievement hunting), then I checked out what the achievements were and considered which ones I would try and finish on the second playthrough. I never go achievement hunting in games I don't really enjoy. Makes for a much more pleasurable gaming experience.

Posted by Mafivee
On Sunday 8 Jan 2017 12:44 PM
7 January 2017, 03:08 PM Reply to Mattress
Same here. I used to be addicted to achievements when I first got my 360 as it was new and exciting for me, then after a year or so the novelty wore off as I was no longer playing games for the game and more for the achievements/gamerscore. It didn't help that I was competing against a friend to see who could get the most. Some silly days they were.

These days I enjoy the odd achievement hunt here and there as long as it is enjoyable, which is why I only hunt them or go for 100% in games I thoroughly enjoy. I no longer play a game first for achievements as that ruins the experience and will go blind with whatever I get I get, and if it was worthy I'll go back for seconds to mop up what I can.

Posted by polarbear
On Sunday 8 Jan 2017 11:25 PM
Probably seems pretty miniscule, but i find i lose enjoyment from some games where i feel as though i need to check every corner or path before continuing on. this perfectionism detracts from my gaming experience and i wish i could just not feel guilty if i miss a chest or something!