Man Steals Millions from Employer, Spends Chunk on Mobile Game

Man Steals Millions from Employer, Spends Chunk on Mobile Game

In stranger news today, a man who stole millions from his employer went on to spend a chunk of that money in Game of War – one of the highest grossing mobile games on the planet. This comes off the back of an FBI and Inland Revenue Service investigation.

As the BBC reports, Sacramento resident Kevin Lee Co pleded guilty in court to stealing $4.8M USD from his employer Holt, a California-based Caterpillar machinery dealer. Co started with the company in 2006, before he started wire fraud and money laundering in 2008.

Court documents obtained by Ars Technica detail the extent of Co’s crimes. One interesting note is that he spent about $1M USD of his embezzled funds on Game of War via in-app purchases and microtransactions.

Here are some other fraudulent purchases that Co also conducted:

• Luxury cars
  • Plastic surgery expenses
  • Membership to a golf club
  • Furniture
  • Season tickets to sporting events

Kevin Lee Co is set to be sentenced in May, 2017. Both charges carry up to 20 years jail time, but the US government’s attorney has recommended a lighter sentencing as part of the plea.

Posted by CoffeeAddict
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2016 9:10 AM
Just imagine the clash of clans base he could of had! Level 9 walls and above!

Posted by SouthSieeda
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2016 9:11 AM
I was wondering how the developer could afford those flashy ads. Now I know. Cheers NZGM!

Posted by Xaphriel
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2016 9:12 AM
Well no wonder it's making so much money, if you can spend a million and still not win the damn thing.

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2016 10:05 AM
13 December 2016, 09:11 AM Reply to SouthSieeda
Right? I always wondered that myself, and the same with the ads for Mobile Strike having Arnie as the face of it and all those CG effects can't be cheap at all

Posted by Paorio
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2016 10:32 AM
Of all things to spend a million dollars on.

Posted by Mafivee
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2016 11:13 AM
13 December 2016, 09:10 AM Reply to CoffeeAddict
Just imagine the clash of clans base he could of had! Level 9 walls and above!
I'm sure he'll get to experience all the level 9 walls and above soon enough.

Posted by Bank
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2016 11:56 AM
I find the philosophy and psychology behind JP gacha games (the branching principles) and their effects on the western world so damn interesting. I try help people play numerous F2P games responsibly without being completely 100% baited. Kingdom Hearts Unchained X is very good and the best one available.

THE ONE thing I really really want to know, please tell me he is at least a Top 5 global player from this? Please, otherwise I can't hold back the cringe.

Or do they just really like Mariah Carey cosplaying as Xena?

Posted by Tin-Automaton
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2016 12:21 PM
13 December 2016, 11:13 AM Reply to Mafivee
I'm sure he'll get to experience all the level 9 walls and above soon enough.
ICE COLD HOMIE

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2016 12:35 PM
I think this is a classic example of everything wrong with these type of games. Had he have done this in a casino he may have been flagged as a problem gambler and this could have been picked up earlier. It's very easy to go it's just a dollar two here in and there in these but it all adds up. I think for someone to spends even thousands in a game like this is just crazy but for them to allow someone to actually spend a million plus is just as criminal.