Dota 2 – the sequel to the MOBA that started it all – is getting a significant overhaul. Patch 7.00 promises to bring with it a new hero, new systems and mechanics that change the pace of the game, and significant visual overhauls.
The patch notes – which were inaccessible when announced, due to too many users swarming the site – is broken up into four sections. You can check them out individually in more detail here, or scroll down for a broad overview. (Images courtesy of Kotaku)
- New hero – Monkey King: A melee carry with escape abilities.
- Pregame Overhaul: Taking a stylish note from Overwatch, the patch also brings some functional updates. Heroes are given more in-depth stats, and team composition highlights the cumulative strengths of your picks.
- Hero Talents: Like Blizzard’s Heroes of the Storm, when players reach level milestones they can select between two different talents. These offer passive benefits to skills and stats.
- Backpack: Allows players to carry extra items. Items in the backpack can’t be activated or grant stat boosts, but can be used to complete recipes. Expect to see the Courier travelling back-and-forth over the map less.
- Map Changes: A new ancient camp has been added. Jungle layout has been switched up. Roshan has been moved upriver to the top rune spot. Shrines are a new type of building next to a team’s secret shop that can be teleported to.
- Runes: Jungles can now spawn their own runes.
- Hero Remodels: Slardar, Viper, and Enigma have all had their models and textures tweaked.
What do you think of the changes? Enough to make someone who hasn’t picked up the game in a while dive back in? Let us know in the comments below!