Report: Nintendo Switch to Feature GameCube Virtual Console

Report: Nintendo Switch to Feature GameCube Virtual Console

The Switch – Nintendo’s upcoming console, which marries the portable and home gaming landscapes – will have Virtual Console support for the GameCube, three sources confirmed to Eurogamer today.

The backwards compatibility has already been tested, and is said to be functional. Three games have already been prepped for the Switch: Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi’s Mansion, and Super Smash Bros. Melee. Right now, the GameCube version of Animal Crossing is also being tested for release.

The Switch’s Virtual Console is said to be engineered by Nintendo European Research and Development (NERD), the group that headed the NES Mini’s production.

If accurate, this news isn’t entirely surprising. The Wii, Wii U, and 3DS have all featured Virtual Console services, allowing users to download and play games from previous hardware generations. While not confirmed, an upgrade programme is being considered; for a one-time fee, users can upgrade their applicable library of Virtual Console games to run on the Switch. This means games wouldn’t have to be re-purchased at full price.

Support for the Wii U’s GameCube controller adaptor is also being considered, but nothing has been finalised.

We’ll keep you updated if more news surfaces.

Posted by Coddfish
On Thursday 8 Dec 2016 9:47 AM
Makes sense, I hope it's true, and if so, I hope we get a VC release of Eternal Darkness

Posted by jmduknz
On Thursday 8 Dec 2016 9:53 AM
Excellent news. Just what I was hoping for. If they could work in some releases of Wii and Wii titles too then I can finally catch up with everything I've missed!
Roll on january the 12th.

Posted by AdamC
On Thursday 8 Dec 2016 10:17 AM
I heard something about docks having just a fan for 1080p mode too, and being cheap enough that you can buy a dock for the lounge and one for another room, so you can play anywhere in the house without having to move a while console

Posted by RSNZ64
On Thursday 8 Dec 2016 10:31 AM
Now if only they support it for more than 5 games.... they always start off strong then stop putting games on their eshop.

I love nintendo and their virtual console. I just wish they kept up with the releases. They would make so much more money off me If they kept up adding games.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Thursday 8 Dec 2016 11:02 AM
I can't believe Nintendo launched VC a decade ago, it's still a f**king mess. At least NERD have shown they can write a somewhat competent emulator, unlike whoever shat out the NES emulator for Wii U VC.

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Thursday 8 Dec 2016 2:37 PM
Although I think that's great to hear and like it when any console decides to add backwards compatibility in any form I have to admit I rarely play my previous gen titles. Still though these things help sell more and more people buying usually means better long term support which is never a bad thing.

Posted by Paorio
On Thursday 8 Dec 2016 5:02 PM
that picture is really exciting!

Posted by maxnaughty
On Monday 12 Dec 2016 6:04 PM
The Switch is definitely on my buy list!